Menu

Simpler/easier visual puzzle games like Tangrams

Dd7 has some visual stuff going on, and I'd like to get her working on something that's like Tangrams, but less complex. I'm thinking of something that I saw a therapist do with her at one point (I can't remember all the details of who and where and when, though!) where it was like a tangram puzzle, EXCEPT that it only had 2 pieces, AND they told you *which* two tangram pieces it was. All she had to do was actually figure out how to orient them correctly and lay them in the design (which, I'll just say, was still wicked difficult for her). Presumably, it would've gotten more difficult (maybe 3-4 pieces eventually, or not telling which pieces to use, etc.). 

I've tried searching for easy tangrams for younger kids/preschoolers, but all I get are normal Tangram puzzles with the pieces already outlined for the kid to match, and this isn't really what I'm looking for.  Any ideas where to look?

It really does need to be simple.  In some research study my kids volunteered for at the local uni, they played a game where you had to mentally rotate puzzle pieces and figure out where they'd go, Poor dd7 scores lower than her sister four whole years younger... 😞 So super easy initially (but with room to grow) would be really good!

I have used these visual rotation puzzles with my daughter. I initially scaffolded them by making paper models of the questions.

https://www.worksheetworks.com/puzzles/cube-maps.html

There's a 4 square rubix cube out there too. Color code is fun as was Castle Logix. 

How about getting 8-10 piec puzzles & pencilling the shape pieces on a puzzle frame? 

These ideas may not fit her needs right away but keep them in mind as her ability grows.

• Like 1

Well, how much are you willing to break from Tangrams?  Wedgits come to mind.  They have cards that you can get where the back tells you how many of each piece you will need, and the front gives you a picture to make. You can also look up attribute shape cards or pentomino cards if you have access to those, where they use the shapes to build right on the mat.  I know we have a set somewhere that is a green box by Smart Kids?  Brain Games?  I will have to look it up.  But we also have this: Day and Night.  The kids use the wooden pieces first to build the pictures that are in full color (day).  Then the cards flip to show only the shadows of patterns (night).

ETA: The first book of Anno's Math Games has a simple Tangram puzzle chapter.  I drew the pieces on thick paper for my kid and it really was only a small handful (2-3) to put together.  You might see if your library has the book.

Edited by HomeAgain
  • Like 1

https://timberdoodle.com/products/day-and-night  Timberdoodle sells a bunch of great toys for visual processing. We used and liked this one but anything they sell is good. 

Have you had her eyes checked by a developmental optometrist and checked for retained reflexes? If her visual processing is that affected, she may have issues with convergence or other developmental vision skills. 

26 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

Well, how much are you willing to break from Tangrams?  Wedgits come to mind.  They have cards that you can get where the back tells you how many of each piece you will need, and the front gives you a picture to make. You can also look up attribute shape cards or pentomino cards if you have access to those, where they use the shapes to build right on the mat.  I know we have a set somewhere that is a green box by Smart Kids?  Brain Games?  I will have to look it up.  But we also have this: Day and Night.  The kids use the wooden pieces first to build the pictures that are in full color (day).  Then the cards flip to show only the shadows of patterns (night).

ETA: The first book of Anno's Math Games has a simple Tangram puzzle chapter.  I drew the pieces on thick paper for my kid and it really was only a small handful (2-3) to put together.  You might see if your library has the book.

We do have wedgits! I should pull those out again. I don't think we ever had the cards, but I'll look into them! 🙂

5 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

https://timberdoodle.com/products/day-and-night  Timberdoodle sells a bunch of great toys for visual processing. We used and liked this one but anything they sell is good. 

Have you had her eyes checked by a developmental optometrist and checked for retained reflexes? If her visual processing is that affected, she may have issues with convergence or other developmental vision skills. 

Yep. I have lots of threads about her vision and how much she despises her vision therapy exercises. We got all her reflexes integrated about six months ago, but this is a good reminder for me to check again, since we haven't been as faithful on maintenance exercises as I would have liked in that time. 

5 hours ago, kand said:

QBitz Jr looks great! I'm pretty sure that whoever did the easy Tangrams with her did something like this too! Thanks!!

44 minutes ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

These look great too! Thank you very much!!

If you want something only a tiny step up from two piece puzzles, what about the game HISS?

You match pieces to build a snake, matching colors. Sometimes you have to rotate the pieces to get the colors to match. 

https://www.amazon.com/Gamewright-5219-Hisss-Card-Game/dp/B00005NQE8/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1550236601&sr=1-1&keywords=hiss

Something a bit harder would be the game Carcasonne. You have to match different tiles to connect roads, towns, fields, etc. You could just play with matching up the tiles without actually playing the game. Then after she can match up the tiles well, you still have an awesome game that is fun even for adults to play.

https://www.amazon.com/Z-Man-Games-ZM7810-Carcassonne/dp/B00NX627HW/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1550237518&sr=1-1&keywords=carcassonne

Edited by Kuovonne
  • Like 1

If you check pattern block task cards you may find some that would serve. I know they usually come in three levels of cards-one with colors to match, one with outlines, and one with just the outer outline. 

• Like 1