Menu

s/o 12th grade planning - not ready?

A lot of people in that thread were more freaked out about 12th grade than actually planning anything. 🙂 I totally get that. My rising 12th grader is my oldest, and yes, it is super weird to have a kid that old. Does everyone else have all these thoughts: how can I be that old? Did I actually teach him/her enough? Or anything at all? What have I been doing the past 12 years?? I thought my own insecurities were possibly due to the fact that my oldest was born when I was 19, so I don't feel "old enough" to have a senior, but it looks like this is just normal for parents of a kid who may be about to leave the nest.

Thoughts? Empathy?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Well, I guess I'm at the other end of the spectrum. My oldest was born when I was 38 so his upcoming 18th birthday makes me feel "old".  I have a lot of anxiety about the whole college application process but I'm hoping it will all work out in the end. On a day to day basis, I find it difficult to know where the right balance is between nudging/pushing and hanging back as they get older. DS doesn't show too much interest in college and being independent at this time but I know things can change a lot at this age.

• Like 1

Yes, I have all those thoughts. My oldest ds will be a senior next year and my dd is right behind him in 11th next year. The college brochures and emails keep coming, too, so I feel like I have to plan next school year and explore college at the same time. In the past, I would have everything planned by now, but I'm a little overwhelmed by it all. I spent time considering whether to send ds to community college for a few classes or to just keep going on our own, so I haven't figured out what he'll be using for school yet. I keep meaning to post on 12th grade thread. I can't believe how fast these years have gone by.

• Like 1

My biggest problem with 12th grade approaching is that I feel anxious about college apps for my dd.  She pretty much knows what classes she wants to take next year, but she’s a really high achiever and most of the schools that will be a good fit for her are more selective. She has three schools she is very interested in and she should get into at least one of those, but we need more options in case she does not. I’ve also been trying to write my guidance counselor letter for her and am finding it difficult. I didn’t have any trouble writing my son’s, so I think I just feel a lot more pressure with my dd’s applications.

Plus, I will not have any more children at home once she goes to college and I will miss her dearly.😢

• Like 2