Menu

Online English Class: From TPS to?

We did.  Long story.

A little background.  My dd is ahead so that complicates things.  Her brother is two years ahead in school but she does all the same stuff as him.  So, when he started TPS in Writing Fundamentals 5, I wanted her to start too.  They would let her - too young.  So, she waited.  The next year, she took Writing Fundamentals 5 and the year after Writing Fundamentals 6. I was stubborn and didn’t want to deal with the placement test to get her where I wanted her.  In addition, I discussed it with the teachers and they weren’t too keen on her skipping.  The next year, she took English 1 with HSLDA Academy.  It was a fine class but I wasn’t too impressed.  She got 100% on every essay, and never any feedback.  She can write but not that well.  Needless to say, I swallowed my pride the next year, she took the placement test and tested into English 3 with TPS where she is now.

Sorry for the diatribe.  I hope that answers your question.  She moved to HSLDA Academy without any trouble, but we didn’t find it challenging enough.

let me know if you need any more info.

• Like 2

Needless to say, I swallowed my pride the next year, she took the placement test and tested into English 3 with TPS where she is now.

Bibsandmegs - I want my son to do TPS english and I am cringing about "the placement test" but reading your story is making me just bite the bullet and have him do the placement test.  It's either TPS placement test OR DE placement for English 101......That and I just read their slide about "Is TPS for you?"   That just wants me to do it, too!

• Like 2

On 2/14/2019 at 3:35 PM, bibsandmegs said:

We did.  Long story.

A little background.  My dd is ahead so that complicates things.  Her brother is two years ahead in school but she does all the same stuff as him.  So, when he started TPS in Writing Fundamentals 5, I wanted her to start too.  They would let her - too young.  So, she waited.  The next year, she took Writing Fundamentals 5 and the year after Writing Fundamentals 6. I was stubborn and didn’t want to deal with the placement test to get her where I wanted her.  In addition, I discussed it with the teachers and they weren’t too keen on her skipping.  The next year, she took English 1 with HSLDA Academy.  It was a fine class but I wasn’t too impressed.  She got 100% on every essay, and never any feedback.  She can write but not that well.  Needless to say, I swallowed my pride the next year, she took the placement test and tested into English 3 with TPS where she is now.

Sorry for the diatribe.  I hope that answers your question.  She moved to HSLDA Academy without any trouble, but we didn’t find it challenging enough.

let me know if you need any more info.

May l ask that dd your did continue after English 3 at TPS? lf so, which course she did? English Composition or Eng 4/5 or Eng 6? Thanks.

She actually is currently in English 3 with TPS.  She will continue on with them probably to English 4: Western Lit and then AP Lang. Haven't decided beyond that as she will have one more year.

I do have another dd who started with English 4 with TPS after doing their summer Advanced Comp class.  She did two years of English 4 - different classes (this was before they had English 5/6, etc.).  She then went on to AP Lang with TPS.

Hope that helps!

-Lisa

4 hours ago, bibsandmegs said:

She actually is currently in English 3 with TPS.  She will continue on with them probably to English 4: Western Lit and then AP Lang. Haven't decided beyond that as she will have one more year.

I do have another dd who started with English 4 with TPS after doing their summer Advanced Comp class.  She did two years of English 4 - different classes (this was before they had English 5/6, etc.).  She then went on to AP Lang with TPS.

Hope that helps!

-Lisa

My son's currently doing TPS Englsh 4/5 British Literature and Composition. (Current Grade 94%). TPS registration's opening this week and l am confused for my ds whether to enroll him in TPS English 6 College British Literature and Composition. l don't know whether that class'll progress his writing and literary analysis ability? He's not planning for AP Tests so thinking of that final class of TPS. lf you've any suggestion then kindly share with me. 

Thank you for the detailed information! 

My state has a great dual enrollment program. My dd transitioned easily from TPS 3 into college English this past year. It made a lot of sense for us, since the college English could be taken online and was free. My oldest son years ago only completed TPS English 4 before he graduated from high school. He said that he was more prepared for college English than his other college classmates. Is dual enrollment an option for you?

Edited by Annie Elle

On 2/18/2019 at 12:52 AM, Rosepetal said:

My son's currently doing TPS Englsh 4/5 British Literature and Composition. (Current Grade 94%). TPS registration's opening this week and l am confused for my ds whether to enroll him in TPS English 6 College British Literature and Composition. l don't know whether that class'll progress his writing and literary analysis ability? He's not planning for AP Tests so thinking of that final class of TPS. lf you've any suggestion then kindly share with me. 

Thank you for the detailed information! 

The only thought I have is that it really depends on what your goals are and what strengths/weaknesses you are hoping to improve upon.  That's what I would look at as I determine what class to choose.  I actually have two dc currently in TPS English 3: Lit Survey.  One will move to English 4/5: Advanced Comp next year while the other one will move to English 4/5: Western Lit.  In our case, this is totally based on the needs of the child, and our desire for a certain teacher that we have previous experience with.

-Lisa

• Like 1