Menu

6th grade textbooks

Welcome to the forum. Some things...

Some school districts allow you to check out textbooks as a homeschooler. Others keep full sets in a central library and you can check them out like library books.

Some states have their textbooks online and others do not.

California and Texas are such large states that they often have special editions of regular textbooks. Not all states have that.

Textbook editions and choices vary from state to state, but there's no reason not to use other state's textbooks if they're the ones you want to use or if they're free or cheap and you need free or cheap.

Finally, you do not have to use public school textbooks if you're a homeschooler. I literally never have. I don't even know what they use here. I use the best materials for my kids and that fit my goal's, not the school's goals. Those could be public school textbooks sometimes, but in general, I'm in charge, not the schools. And if I wanted my kids to get a public school education, I'd send them to school.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 2/14/2019 at 5:15 PM, Farrar said:

Textbook editions and choices vary from state to state, but there's no reason not to use other state's textbooks if they're the ones you want to use or if they're free or cheap and you need free or cheap. 

Good point, Farrar. In theory, Georgia would be a good example of this, because there is supposed to be an free online text available through GPB Media (and a paid-for teacher edition). However, I could not load the textbooks. On the other hand, the contents page allows you to see what sort of topics are likely to be expected, if you prefer to create your own course.

• Like 1