Menu

What's with the ads?

omishev

Fun curriculum to start this summer (K, 2nd)

My kids are not going to be disappointed they are not going back to school next year. We haven't decided when to break the news but probably not until the end of school or perhaps even over the summer. Anyway, I am hoping to start homeschooling this summer but ease into with fun stuff. I am a science person and they love experiments so we will do that anyway. But can anyone recommend a curriculum or resource for other subjects that would be a fun way to ease into a homeschool schedule?

3 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Are you crafty? 

Does it need to be secular? 

Crafty....um... I sew but am otherwise not really inclined to do crafts. DD LOVES crafts! The messier the better! haha

Christian or secular is fine

How about Mystery Science? It would be just a fun, gentle experiment based thing with some hands on projects. At that age, the concepts are just fun and light and we've enjoyed everything they offer.

Nature walks, field trips, outside activities and read alouds.

For the 2nd grader maybe have them read, keep a nature journal and play math games. Too keep up their skills.

For Kindy, depends where their at, skill wise, and what you want for them 

My Kindergartner loves science, it's her favorite subject. Her Dad on Tuesday's does science experiments with her. She watches many different science shows and I read science stories to her.

He is also teaching her to draw. I'm not an art person.

She loves Alphablocks & Numberblocks on YouTube.  Alphablocks teaches letter sounds and phonics. Numberblocks is counting, simple addition/subtraction. There really cute shows.

Leap Frog DVDs (we get from the library) phonics and numbers.

Sheppard Software (online) is really good. It teaches a great many things.

Phonics Pathways is a good phonics program we use it along with Reading Pathways. (We borrow it from the library)

There are online things you print out like at K5learning.

I have friends who are using The Homegrown Preschooler and they make it sound amazing. I haven’t used it but thought I’d mention. 

My kids liked BFIAR, and then just lots of hands on activities- “snow” we could buy on Amazon that you mix with water and then play with arctic Animal sets from dollar store, InsectLore kits- everyone they sell at one time or another, water beads, the always amazing baking soda and vinegar (that worked today. For the milllionth time.) glow sticks, slime, homemade playdoh on the stove. We have a telescope so that’s a hit too. Just lots of things like that. Just enjoy your summer and your transition time! Maybe plan a not first day of school on the first day of school where you go to the zoo or something to celebrate! 

Story of the World was my dd’s buy in—specifically when I told her we could mummify a chicken, she started to get excited about this homeschooling idea.

12 minutes ago, Michelle Conde said:

Story of the World was my dd’s buy in—specifically when I told her we could mummify a chicken, she started to get excited about this homeschooling idea.

Do a cornish hen.  That took long enough.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, parent said:

Do a cornish hen.  That took long enough.

12 hours ago, Michelle Conde said:

HAHA!! OMG they will love that!! Thank you!