Menu

What's with the ads?

Juliegmom

Circe Homer Literature Guide

My daughter will be reading Odyssey and Iliad next year. I'm interested in purchasing the literature guides from Circe Institute. Has anyone used these or heard anything about them?  I want something to help with comprehension, critical thinking and digging deeper, but I don't want something that going to be burdensome in amount of workload.

• Like 2

Not the guide you asked about, BUT... we loved the very meaty Garlic Press Discovering Literature challenger level guide when we went through the Odyssey. So meaty, in fact, that you'll pick and choose how much to do ;). It includes:

- background info on the author/times
- info on 4 different translations/translators
- for each chapter there is a summary of what happened and then choice of discussion/thinking questions
- a number of short "lessons" on literature topics and literary elements and how they show up in the Odyssey
- writing info and assignment ideas (topics: description; persuasion; anecdote; compare/contrast)
- ideas for extension activities and resources
- discussion question answer key in the back

Hope you'll get some good responses about the Circe guide, and BEST of luck in finding the guide that is the best fit for your family! Warmly, Lori D.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Juliegmom said:

My daughter will be reading Odyssey and Iliad next year. I'm interested in purchasing the literature guides from Circe Institute. Has anyone used these or heard anything about them?  I want something to help with comprehension, critical thinking and digging deeper, but I don't want something that going to be burdensome in amount of workload.

I don't have an answer for you, but I've been looking at these too.

• Like 1

Well I went ahead and purchased the Iliad and Odyssey bundle. The samples looked really good.. I'm looking forward to adding this to our line up for next year!

• Like 3