Menu

kids of antivaxxers grow up

gardenmom5

10 minutes ago, AK_Mom4 said:

Hopefully I don’t get chased off the board for this.... but I received all my vaccines at age 18 when I left for college.   I had one dose of polio vaccine as a child when they had a polio scare, but that’s it.  Mostly a mix of money, timing and government conspiracy theories, I suspect.  

I don’t recommend it as a Fun Time, but better late than never in my case.

Aw, it's fine. 

My oldest was irritated at me for being anti-vax-ish. My kids all have the bare minimum for school entry. She is getting a degree in education so she will get all the required shots. My 4th was not vaxxed until after age three. We both got whooping cough. She has only the bare minimum. She's 16 now. The doctor always tried to convince me to get her the meningitis, but I have yet to be convinced when her argument is, "It's a real thing."

Edited by AbcdeDooDah
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

I have yet to be convinced when her argument is, "It's a real thing."

Well, your doctor is not eloquent, but she's right.  In the last 9 years four college students in my city have died from bacterial meningitis.  They thought they just had a cold or flu, went to bed, went into comas, and died.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

28 minutes ago, klmama said:

Well, your doctor is not eloquent, but she's right.  In the last 9 years four college students in my city have died from bacterial meningitis.  They thought they just had a cold or flu, went to bed, went into comas, and died.  

I get that, but I was also refusing the heps and she pushed for the meningitis with that line.

1 hour ago, AK_Mom4 said:

Hopefully I don’t get chased off the board for this.... but I received all my vaccines at age 18 when I left for college.   I had one dose of polio vaccine as a child when they had a polio scare, but that’s it.  Mostly a mix of money, timing and government conspiracy theories, I suspect.  

I don’t recommend it as a Fun Time, but better late than never in my case.

Were you terribly ill during your childhood with one thing after another like Amy Parker reported about herself? 

24 minutes ago, Pen said:

Were you terribly ill during your childhood with one thing after another like Amy Parker reported about herself? 

Nope.  Just grew up in a time and place that was Rural, Poor and Suspicious of Government.  All of us kids were ridiculously healthy growing up, but we did tend to run a bit wild.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, LMD said:

Yeah, there is definitely a mindset that these diseases are not that bad and we can cure them with vitamin c so why should we quarantine ourselves? They really think coming to a homeschool group meeting with whooping cough is appropriate. 😡

In certain circles, I got a lot of shocked side eyes for admitting to giving my dd the gardasil vaccine. 

I have run into this too in homeschooling circles.  The anti-vaxx families I know 100% believe that measles, whooping cough, polio, etc are no worse than the flu. 

When the ebola scare was all over the news a few years ago, I had someone tell me "I am not worried about ebola because I eat organic and my body handles toxins better than non-organic eaters".  No. That's not how that works. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 6

11 hours ago, Quill said:

In the late 90s, early 00s, a lot of antis did seem to think this way IME. They looked to the info in that stupid Shot in the Dark book and believed that diseases like Diphtheria were “going away on their own” due to improved sanitation and better treatment and nutrition, and did not, in fact, drastically drop in incidence due to vaccines. Thus, they believed that with superior nutrition their kids would not contract measels, say, even if there were a local outbreak. 

Some also thought the diseases were “no big deal,” either because they believed their super-healthy, sugar-free, crunchy kids would effectively fight the virus and thus, symptoms would be minor, or because possibly in some instances, they did not understand how devastating things like pertussis can actually be. 

The anti vaxxers I know don’t think the kids won’t get the illness they just think it won’t be severe due to good healthy immune systems.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

The anti vaxxers I know don’t think the kids won’t get the illness they just think it won’t be severe due to good healthy immune systems.

Yep, and their vit c, turmeric and homeopathy will cure it anyway... 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Quill said:

True, but isn’t that why the vaccine companies (Merck, I think) removed Thimerasol (probably spelling that wrong) from MMR? So many activists were saying it was mercury that caused their child’s autism, so Merck removed mercury. 

Some Aussie anti-vaxers use mercury as a reason not to vax their kids, even though we've never had mercury in our vaccines.

2 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Some Aussie anti-vaxers use mercury as a reason not to vax their kids, even though we've never had mercury in our vaccines.

Boy...it would be hard for me to hear that one if I lived there! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Yep, we have those too in the Netherlands. Makes me want to scream!

Threads like this always make me a bit nervous. We don't vaccinate against chicken pox here, and somehow all my kids haven't had it yet....which makes me worried about my eldest especially. And noone, really noone, is getting their tithers checked and vaccines updated as an adult. My family doctor would think I am crazy if I suggest such a thing. But I agree it would be a really smart idea with my general weak health. Hmmm, what to do....

I have to say I feel like the elephant in the room with this discussion is that the risk from unvaxxed kids is probably not much greater than the risk from adults with waning immunity.  If herd immunity is the thing pushing/funding adults to get boosters seems like it would be as valuable as tackling the strong antivaxers?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

I'm not sure that it really matters if they are both capable of spreading the same disease. 

If you are going to suggest that it's the same kind of problem, it matters.  It's not - a different cause, a different solution. It's not all that difficult to put programs in place to make sure adults, who otherwise understand that vaccination is important, also understand that adults need to keep up their vaccinations.  Clearly it is not easy to convince people who think vaccination is a threat to vaccinate their kids.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I have to say I feel like the elephant in the room with this discussion is that the risk from unvaxxed kids is probably not much greater than the risk from adults with waning immunity.  If herd immunity is the thing pushing/funding adults to get boosters seems like it would be as valuable as tackling the strong antivaxers?

A PA in the ER told me a couple of weeks ago that I had whooping cough. She misread the antibody result that she believed showed I had an active infection. According to my pulmonologist, she read the wrong lab result for that diagnosis. The PA tried to look at my immunization schedule (it was a military ER and should have had all my med records), but it had disappeared. They have no knowledge of any vaccinations, including childhood vacs. Any vaccinations I've had as an adult would have been in that record. So now I have to find my records theoretically dating back 20 years or have my titers checked. It will probably be easier to have my titers checked.

To the best of my knowledge, no doctor I've had, both military and civilian, has ever suggested updating my vaccinations. Until this thread and my whooping cough incident, I didn't know it was something I needed to be aware of. I would think this would be something doctors would recommend during physicals, but that hasn't been my experience.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wilrunner said:

A PA in the ER told me a couple of weeks ago that I had whooping cough. She misread the antibody result that she believed showed I had an active infection. According to my pulmonologist, she read the wrong lab result for that diagnosis. The PA tried to look at my immunization schedule (it was a military ER and should have had all my med records), but it had disappeared. They have no knowledge of any vaccinations, including childhood vacs. Any vaccinations I've had as an adult would have been in that record. So now I have to find my records theoretically dating back 20 years or have my titers checked. It will probably be easier to have my titers checked.

To the best of my knowledge, no doctor I've had, both military and civilian, has ever suggested updating my vaccinations. Until this thread and my whooping cough incident, I didn't know it was something I needed to be aware of. I would think this would be something doctors would recommend during physicals, but that hasn't been my experience.

Exactly. When I got married 25 years ago, blood tests were required. I was told my MMR was no longer valid so I got a booster. At age 20. Then I got whooping cough in my thirties. It doesn't compute that it its only unvaccinated children spreading disease.

A PA in the ER told me a couple of weeks ago that I had whooping cough. She misread the antibody result that she believed showed I had an active infection. According to my pulmonologist, she read the wrong lab result for that diagnosis.

The Pertussis whooping cough vaccine in use for the past 20+ years has been failing .  Also there are a lot of bad reactions to it.  Whooping cough went through out area including in kids who had had their baby vaccinations and had had their adolescent booster.  People were assuming at first that whooping cough was impossible because their kids were vaccinated.

It’s bad for convincing people that far more critical vaccinations do work and with fewer bad reactions.

I haven’t had anything other than flu and tetanus vaccination ever suggested to me as an adult.  

• Like 1

I think dogmatic people are dogmatic.  I have seen a lot of people unable to accept the significance of the 18th birthday.

I also agree that "it's a miracle I'm alive" is a bit insane.  But considering how the person was raised, if he's irrational, that shouldn't be a surprise.

39 minutes ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

Exactly. When I got married 25 years ago, blood tests were required. I was told my MMR was no longer valid so I got a booster. At age 20. Then I got whooping cough in my thirties. It doesn't compute that it its only unvaccinated children spreading disease.

I don’t know as far as doctors suggesting it, but I requested a Pertussis booster several years ago. I had a very severe cough and went in for fear it could be whooping cough. Doctor said no, it is not, but if you want to boost DTaP, we can do it today. So I did. 

But I do think that part of why children are the focus of attention for vaccinations moreso than adults who might need boosters is because children are in a much more regulatable situation. They are the ones attending school, college, summer camps, daycares, etc., so it is relatively easy to gain compliance, compared with rounding up the adults who might need a booster. 

Personally, the cynic in me believes that if it were possible to give all vaccines to babies in the hospital at birth, that’s what they would do. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, SKL said:

I think dogmatic people are dogmatic.  I have seen a lot of people unable to accept the significance of the 18th birthday.

I also agree that "it's a miracle I'm alive" is a bit insane.  But considering how the person was raised, if he's irrational, that shouldn't be a surprise.

I was thinking that for both the stories that were shared it appears that there’s some very black/white dogmatic thinking by both the parent(s) and child(ren).  

46 minutes ago, SKL said:

I also agree that "it's a miracle I'm alive" is a bit insane.

Social media has given him a platform.  Maybe he's just being dramatic.

I'm so grateful we didn't have social media when I was a teen!  A public setting in which to say all manner of unkind things about my parents?  The added possibility of fifteen minutes of fame?   :sad:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

But there is a campaign to get adults to get boosters- at least the pertussis one. 

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/7ctF/glaxosmithkline-whooping-cough-vaccination

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

My DD's pediatrician had DH and I get a whooping cough booster, but also had DD on a delayed vaccination schedule due to the fact that DD was a preemie, and she wanted to wait to vaccinate, as much as possible, based on adjusted age, not chronological. I also have gotten measles and rubella boosters when a child in my school was DX'd with it-the health department came in and offered it to all teachers/staff.

5 hours ago, Tress said:

We don't vaccinate against chicken pox here, and somehow all my kids haven't had it yet....which makes me worried about my eldest especially. And noone, really noone, is getting their tithers checked and vaccines updated as an adult. My family doctor would think I am crazy if I suggest such a thing. But I agree it would be a really smart idea with my general weak health. Hmmm, what to do....

I had chickenpox when I was doing postgraduate as a 27 years old. Two of my classmates had chickenpox at the same time. Our recovery was relatively mild. 

My 11th grade math teacher had chickenpox and had to be hospitalized. It is usually worse the older the person is. 

I have my tithers checked recently as part of routine checkup. I don’t have immunity for rubella and that was similar for both my pregnancies so I wasn’t surprised. My health has never been great so it wasn’t unusual to check for whether I need booster shots.

Edited by Arcadia

Every time I've been preggo I've been encouraged to get a pertussis booster. And my OB has explained why it's a good idea to do so. Are no other doctors mentioning this at physicals and such? Almost every drugstore I go in has signs about updating shots or getting a flu shot or shingles or pertussis. But then I feel like those that are anti-vax say those campaigns are just a way for big Pharma to make more $$$. So either they aren't doing enough to address the problem of adult vaccinations, but what they do on any front (for babies/kids/adults) is considered (by those who don't want to vax anyway) as propaganda or fear-mongering to make them money. 

• Like 2

I read that the flu has been especially deadly for young people the last couple of years. I think as a society we adjust to the risks we have because we have to. But when those risks are no longer necessary, we rebel against them. Which is why I had the chicken pox as a kid but didn't think it was a big deal. But I'd never have skipped the vax for my kids. People die of chicken pox. I think that shift is starting to happen more with the flu - though obviously the flu shot is less effective and has to be given more often to keep up to date with strains.

I definitely had the HPV vax for my boys. Both my father and step-father died of HPV related cancers that now my boys can't get. That's an amazing thing. Thanks, science.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Eliana said:

I thought it was just rubella immunity that is routinely tested for early in a pregnancy? 

I have been intending to get a measles titer next time I'm at the doctor, but I should check my records in case it was done during my last pregnancy.  (Though that was long enough ago that perhaps I should be testing anyway!)

I think that they asked about all three. But it’s been awhile since I’ve been pregnant...

2 hours ago, EmseB said:

Every time I've been preggo I've been encouraged to get a pertussis booster. And my OB has explained why it's a good idea to do so. Are no other doctors mentioning this at physicals and such? Almost every drugstore I go in has signs about updating shots or getting a flu shot or shingles or pertussis. But then I feel like those that are anti-vax say those campaigns are just a way for big Pharma to make more $$$. So either they aren't doing enough to address the problem of adult vaccinations, but what they do on any front (for babies/kids/adults) is considered (by those who don't want to vax anyway) as propaganda or fear-mongering to make them money. 

Pertussis boosters started being recommended for pregnant women a few years ago; I've had them for my last two pregnancies but no one mentioned it for my earlier pregnancies.

7 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

This really varies from vaccine to vaccine. Here in the US there are campaigns encouraging adults to get pertussis boosters because we know that immunity wanes within a few years. Measles is very different, the current CDC recommendation is that adults who had two measles vaccine doses as children (most people born after 1967 in the US) can be considered to have lifelong immunity; adults who had only one dose (many born between 1957 and 1967) should have titers checked. People born before 1957 are generally assumed to have had the disease.

It isn't one size fits all, there isn't evidence of mass waning of immunity to measles. Here's one study that found measles antibody status of mothers who were vaccinated as children, while somewhat lower than that of mothers who had had measles as children, was nevertheless sufficient to pass measles antibodies on to their infants:

https://www.jpeds.com/article/S0022-3476(86)81039-3/fulltext

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

I think there is some resistance in adults who were vaccinated. I don't think the vaccination works one day and not the next, but it's more that it becomes less effective. It was the titers the PA misread, so clearly I have either had whooping cough in the past or my vaccination is still strong.

6 hours ago, Pen said:

The Pertussis whooping cough vaccine in use for the past 20+ years has been failing .  Also there are a lot of bad reactions to it.  Whooping cough went through out area including in kids who had had their baby vaccinations and had had their adolescent booster.  People were assuming at first that whooping cough was impossible because their kids were vaccinated.

It’s bad for convincing people that far more critical vaccinations do work and with fewer bad reactions.

I haven’t had anything other than flu and tetanus vaccination ever suggested to me as an adult.  

Right. And if vaccinations are becoming less effective, one would think the information would come from the doctors to ensure everyone is still protected.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

But there is a campaign to get adults to get boosters- at least the pertussis one. 

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/7ctF/glaxosmithkline-whooping-cough-vaccination

The cynic in me says Glaxosmithkline isn't necessarily doing this for public health. The little cough the grandmother had sounds nothing like someone who's infected with whooping cough.

46 minutes ago, wilrunner said:

The cynic in me says Glaxosmithkline isn't necessarily doing this for public health. The little cough the grandmother had sounds nothing like someone who's infected with whooping cough.

Well of course they have a financial interest. But I think that it also serves as a public service announcement. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maize said:

This really varies from vaccine to vaccine. Here in the US there are campaigns encouraging adults to get pertussis boosters because we know that immunity wanes within a few years. Measles is very different, the current CDC recommendation is that adults who had two measles vaccine doses as children (most people born after 1967 in the US) can be considered to have lifelong immunity; adults who had only one dose (many born between 1957 and 1967) should have titers checked. People born before 1957 are generally assumed to have had the disease.

It isn't one size fits all, there isn't evidence of mass waning of immunity to measles. Here's one study that found measles antibody status of mothers who were vaccinated as children, while somewhat lower than that of mothers who had had measles as children, was nevertheless sufficient to pass measles antibodies on to their infants:

https://www.jpeds.com/article/S0022-3476(86)81039-3/fulltext

Oh that makes sense.  I though waning immunity affected everyone for the MMR.  I didn’t realise it was only those who had a single shot vaccine.

• Like 1

Oh that makes sense.  I though waning immunity affected everyone for the MMR.  I didn’t realise it was only those who had a single shot vaccine.

I read that the 2nd "booster" shot was only recommended because some of the original shots didn't work due to mishandling by the doctors' offices.  The thought is that you have a much lower likelihood of getting two dud shots than one.

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, klmama said:

Someone in my freshman dorm almost died. Fortunately her roommate recognized that something was seriously wrong in time to get her to the ER. She spent several days in the ICU very touch & go.

I'm a selective vaccinator but my teens get both the Menactra and the Bexsero shots.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

But isn’t it only viral meningitis that is vaccinated against? Without major antibiotics and watching for encephalitis very early, bacterial meningitis isn’t something you can deal with. Or have the vaccines changed since I last looked?  I admit it’s been some years...

ETA - I see they’re covering some streptococcus and such in the vaccines now, interesting!

That’s what I thought.  We only have vaccines for viral.  Still worth doing what you can though!

7 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

Have they ever HAD the flu!? Most miserable two weeks of my life, and I was fully wiped out for the next month thereafter.

They probably have not had it.  What I have noticed with the anti-vaxxers in my homeschool group is that the parents have generally enjoyed very good health and have never met anyone that has been ill.  They do not ever consider that their very good health might be due in part to vaccines they received as children or the fact that they live in middle-class Western homes with good nutrition, sanitation, and generally good public health departments. They've never lived in places with epidemics.  Most of the illness they've experienced falls under the heading of "minor inconvenience".  Since they've never experienced or observed anything worse than a minor inconvenience, they don't understand why whooping cough or polio is a BIG DEAL and not something you can power through with some garlic or coconut oil.    

• Like 9

That’s what I thought.  We only have vaccines for viral.  Still worth doing what you can though!

There are vaccines against several bacteria that cause meningitis: Neisseria meningitidis, Streptococcus pneumoniae, and Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib).  There is no vaccine specifically against viral meningitis, but some of the viruses that can cause it do have vaccines (measles, mumps, flu, chicken pox).  Generally, though, viral meningitis is not as dangerous, and most people get better on their own.  It's still important to seek medical treatment for any signs of meningitis, regardless of the type you think it is.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, wilrunner said:

Adults and older children who get whooping cough do not usually get the classic cough with the whooping sound. Often adults (and older children) won't even feel that sick. They just have a nagging cough that just will not go away. 

Susan in TX

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Susan in TX said:

Adults and older children who get whooping cough do not usually get the classic cough with the whooping sound. Often adults (and older children) won't even feel that sick. They just have a nagging cough that just will not go away. 

Susan in TX

That's interesting. I didn't know that. 

• Like 1

And then there is parapertussis, which looks and sounds a lot like pertussis, but isn't quite as severe (less whooping, less vomiting).  There isn't a vaccine for it, and the CDC doesn't keep track of it.  One of my dc got that, and it was not a fun time.  Dc's lungs were messed up for a couple of years after that - every time dc got a respiratory illness, there was some minor whooping again.   

• Sad 3

12 minutes ago, Iron Jenny Flint said:

From what I read when I researched it a few years ago... A certain percentage receive immunity from the first shot. However, there were some (like 4 percent) that did not receive immunity after the first shot. So, they increased it to two shots to cover the percentage that did not receive immunity after the first shot.  

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/measles/expert-answers/getting-measles-after-vaccination/faq-20125397

But why did they not receive immunity from the 1st shot?  Because the doctors did not store it properly and it spoiled.

I wish titers were easier to get - I think a lot of people are getting shots they don't need.

On 2/11/2019 at 6:52 PM, Pen said:

As things exist irl, I think that is an interesting point to consider—and in any case at least in USA we cannot get The Monovalent individual vaccines.

However, I’d like to see safer vaccines without the stuff in them (solution and additives or whatever) causing some of the reactions. And also Monovalent vaccination options, in case multiple viral load at once Is also a problem for some people.  

Monovalent MMR components are actually unavailable anywhere in the world from what I most recently read. They aren't made at all, anywhere at this point in time (it's been in the last 5 years that this is the case).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SKL said:

But why did they not receive immunity from the 1st shot?  Because the doctors did not store it properly and it spoiled.

I wish titers were easier to get - I think a lot of people are getting shots they don't need.

No, that's not how ANY of this works. The second vaccine boosts the number of people who are immune. It works this way for *any* multi-shot series. Chickenpox, MMR, etc. There is a reason why there is more than one vaccine in those series (and it isn't because physicians delivered improperly stored vaccines, that's not how the vaccine schedule works)

There is a lot of literature explaining the reasoning, but this is an easy and interesting abstract. https://academic.oup.com/jid/article/180/1/187/990623

"Despite high vaccine coverage, single-dose measles immunization programs have been unsuccessful in eliminating measles. Primary vaccine failures caused by the interference of maternal antibody have been a primary cause of continued circulation of the virus [1]. Levels of maternal antibody in the child decline with age, with a corresponding decline in the probability of primary vaccine failure. In contrast to most Canadian jurisdictions, where measles vaccine has been given routinely at 12 months of age, some other countries have long recommended measles vaccination at 15 months of age (e.g., USA) or later (e.g., Sweden) in an attempt to minimize this type of vaccine failure. However, even delay of the initial vaccination has not been sufficient to eliminate measles. Based on the results of serologic studies that showed that most children who do not respond to the first dose of measles vaccine will develop a good antibody response to a second dose [1], many countries (e.g., Canada, UK, and USA) have decided to switch to two-dose immunization schedules.

The improved protection afforded by two doses of measles vaccine is well documented in countries where two-dose schedules have been implemented for many years and where measles has been virtually eliminated [2]."

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 8:11 AM, PrincessMommy said:

Mom's reaction may be because he's not just deciding to get his vaccines but he is saying things like "It's a miracle I'm still alive."  I'd be hurt if my kids went beyond the "We're just doing things differently than you did.." to publicly insinuating that I was a terrible parent.  

gently - sometimes kids grow up and make different choices.  

but as someone who, even when I was a teen, had many moments of "what the ***** was she THINKING?????" (and as a mother of adult children - I'm even more horrified by some of her choices) - some mother's deserve what they get when their children reject their lifestyle.

On 2/11/2019 at 8:37 PM, Bluegoat said:

I think the difference is that most adults who don't get boosters aren't deliberatly making a decision not to be protected - they may be lazy but often they don't even think about needing them.

That's a really different issue than making a decision to not do it, and probably a lot easier to solve.

I work with peds/ob/ gyns on a surgical floor who openly state they see no reason for themselves to get any boosters but recommend their patients to do so.   No one has been ale to give me a reason why it is okay for them to refuse to booster but not okay for their patients.  Adults,especially the generation entering adulthood (the 90 kids) when chicken pox and other vaccines entered the market, will need to get boosters or titers checked throughout adulthood.    THere is still concern that this group will enter old age and break out in childhood diseases from lack of boosters as immunity wanes.

• Like 3