Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
SKL

2019 Summer Camp Thread!

This year I started getting emails and flyers in January about summer camp!  I have our plans about 2/3 decided.  [updates added]

I am trying to leave some weeks "free" this summer, as my kids are 12yo and should be able to occupy themselves up to a point.  However, I need to keep them busy and away while I work on my Mega June Work Deadline(s).

Full time day camps / sleep-away camps:

• Chess camp.
  • Zoo camp - wildlife biology (should be interesting for my kid who wants to be a veterinarian.)
  • Culture camp.
  • Residential musical theater camp.
  • [2 week break for Independence Day / travel / whatever]
  • Junior Medical camp.
  • [updated] Cooking camp.
  • Academic review / study skills - 2 weeks.

I need to decide what, if anything, to do about academic skills review over the whole summer.  Will I have the discipline to keep after them to do online work?  If so, I think that would be best.

I was looking at Brave Writer last year, but didn't end up doing it.  I might do it this year.  Also, does anyone know of anything similar for math?  I know there are online options for kids to work on their own, but what about someone on the other end to provide accountability?  I guess I could try Sylvan again, but I don't feel like that was worth the time (we had to drive an hour for each session).

Every year I say we're going to do challenging games, science projects, sharing many books, etc., but usually we don't do much.  Hopefully this year will be different ....

We have travel planned for late April, so I am not sure we will do any in the summer.  If we do, it will probably be stateside.  Would love to study the geology and history bla bla bla, but my kids would rather not, so we'll see ....

Sports - we will continue TKD for both, gymnastics for Kid 1, horse riding for Kid 2.  And probably swimming in between, but not team.  If I could find a local age-appropriate program for sports conditioning / running, I would try it, but I don't think we have anything nearby.

Would love to say that we're going to do lots of scout badges, but I think we're going to drop scouts after this next cross-over.

What are you guys planning?

Edited by SKL

DD14 is an alternate for Governor’s School. We’ll find out in the next few weeks if she has a slot based on confirmations (students can apply to multiple programs, so it’s fairly common for slots to open up by the deadline for confirming your attendance). If she doesn’t do that, she’s applying to another program she’s done in the past (unless she stalls too long and it fills up), and would also enjoy. That one is harder logistically.

She also has to decide if she’s going to cheer next season, and if so, where. That usually comes about April, and will weigh into the summer schedule. 

Trinqueta is going to do UDallas' Summer Latin in Rome program. She's very excited and has already made quite a bit of progress on Duolingo's Italian lessons. I'm glad that we managed to get all the parts of the application in by their early application deadline and got the 5% discount. There's still a bit of paperwork to have notarized so that she can travel without a parent, but most of the stuff that's my responsibility is taken care of.

https://udallas.edu/travel/

I don’t know what DS will do because we are waiting to hear from competitive programs. There will be some manner of creative writing camp somewhere. 

Dd (8) will do nature camp, sports camp, Shakespeare camp.i wish there was a local math and science type camp but no, it’s all frolic-around-in-nature here. 

4 minutes ago, chiguirre said:

Trinqueta is going to do UDallas' Summer Latin in Rome program. She's very excited and has already made quite a bit of progress on Duolingo's Italian lessons. I'm glad that we managed to get all the parts of the application in by their early application deadline and got the 5% discount. There's still a bit of paperwork to have notarized so that she can travel without a parent, but most of the stuff that's my responsibility is taken care of.

https://udallas.edu/travel/

That’s so exciting! I love Rome though there were about 14 years between the two times I visited (DS newborn, DS 14). The number of tourists now is astounding, I walked away from several sites bc people people everywhere. Have her eat some artichokes if in season. It had just ended when i went last year. 

• Like 2

I signed the kids up for the June Brave Writer book club course.  I hope they cooperate.

I'm torn about a cooking camp I found.  It's full time during a week when they are free.  They could really use an intensive cooking course!  Theoretically I should be teaching them, but it isn't happening at the rate it should.  One of them seems destined to be a Nuker Ninja all her life, LOL.  Hmm ... I guess I'll probably sign up for it ....  That will still leave 3.5 weeks camp-free ....

ETA I did sign them up for the cooking camp.

Edited by SKL

I'm gonna use this thread to think out loud about summer ideas, not just camps.  Feel free to do the same!

I ordered 3 "summer bridge" books.  I thought they didn't make them for kids in Jr. High, but apparently I was wrong.  One of the books is terrible and I'm returning it (Lumos Learning - Summer Head Start).  The other two look pretty good to me.  Each has the kids doing 2 pages a day.  I intend to give each kid a book and require them to keep up with them.

I also bought some Kumon workbooks labeled as grades 6-8 - pre-algebra and intro to geometry.  I am thinking these will be good for relatively painless review, and I would do some of the work with them.  I also bought a book for grammar called The Dragon Grammar Book.  It seems light but not too babyish.  I will also try to get through several other books I bought last summer (or earlier) and did not get to.

I should look through the old workbooks I have and see if any should be attempted this summer - otherwise I will probably just hand them all down to my nieces.

• Like 1