Menu

Rhetoric I change in teachers

I see that the teacher for Rhetoric I has changed from Thomas Hummel to Marissa Henry. I read stellar reviews of Hummel's class, but can't find anything about Henry's class. Could anyone with experience provide a review please? Other possibilities we're considering for after EW2 are Lukeion's Muse on the Loose, Lange's Intro or Year 1 Lit, and MCT online Lit or AAW. 

Thanks in advance!

Jackie

@Jackie Kelly Lange is expensive - no doubt about it. Our family can't afford her right now, but part of that is that once you've had her teach your kids, you want to have her continue to do so (or, at least want her to get each one of your kids to the next level of writing). I have five kids, so that just isn't doable.

I have had a couple horrible experiences with writing class/teacher, a couple good experiences, a great experience (Lange), and a couple "good enough" classes that I can't recommend but that I don't regret. It can be very tough to find the right fit with a teacher and the expectations of a class. I have to carefully sift through reviews because I find that my family's experiences often are very different than others on here. Also, what I am looking for might not match what soneone else is looking for in terms of workload or goals.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pink and Green Mom said:

I was just coming here to research my options for Rhetoric I.  Can someone tell me more about who Lange is and where I can find her class?  I have a concern with one of the Rhetoric I teachers at WTMA and wanted to look at some other options.

Cindy Lange teaches through her own organization, Integritas Academy. She formerly taught at Wilson Hill Academy. She’s expensive and worth it.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Caraway said:

My child currently has Marissa Henry and is having a great year.  Feel free to message me if you have specific questions.

Same. 

Mr. Hummell is great - my daughter has him this year for Creative Writing and a few years ago for Expository 1 and he's one of her favorites, but she really like Ms. Henry too and is having a great year.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2019 at 11:45 AM, Caraway said:

My child currently has Marissa Henry and is having a great year.  Feel free to message me if you have specific questions.

7 hours ago, skirch said:

Same. 

Mr. Hummell is great - my daughter has him this year for Creative Writing and a few years ago for Expository 1 and he's one of her favorites, but she really like Ms. Henry too and is having a great year.

I wasn't planning on rhetoric, but now that plans are changing, I'm looking into rhetoric.

How many hours of work are expected outside of class?

And is there extensive feedback and opportunities for revisions?

On 2/16/2019 at 9:22 AM, SeaConquest said:

Wes Calahan teaches rhetoric at CLRC. I don't know anything about his rhetoric courses, but his Great Book series is highly recommended. That may also be an option.

Thanks for the suggestion, SeaConquest. I was looking at CLRC Great Books, but we already have history covered. It looks like Dr. Turscak teaches Great Books at CLRC.

10 minutes ago, Jackie Kelly said:

Thanks for the suggestion, SeaConquest. I was looking at CLRC Great Books, but we already have history covered. It looks like Dr. Turscak teaches Great Books at CLRC.

I was mentioning Wes Calahan for rhetoric, since you were asking about rhetoric. Wes Calahan doesn't teach Great Books at CLRC. He has his own program at Schola Tutorials and via videos sold through Roman Roads. These lectures are very well regarded here, but I know nothing about the CLRC logic/rhetoric sequence. I would actually love to hear feedback on his rhetoric course at CLRC (and any logic course at CLRC), if anyone has taken it. 

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 1

I'm glad to hear about the positive experiences with Marissa Henry. I also am curious about the class content. What kinds of topics are addressed in the Rhetoric I class? My DS is on the young side, so I'm trying to decide if the content will be age appropriate for him. Does the class cover any literature or do any literary-based discussion/essays? I guess what I'm asking is what the difference is between Rhetoric I and something like Lange's persuasive writing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SeaConquest said:

I was mentioning Wes Calahan for rhetoric, since you were asking about rhetoric. Wes Calahan doesn't teach Great Books at CLRC. He has his own program at Schola Tutorials and via videos sold through Roman Roads. These lectures are very well regarded here, but I know nothing about the CLRC logic/rhetoric sequence. I would actually love to hear feedback on his rhetoric course at CLRC (and any logic course at CLRC), if anyone has taken it. 

This isn’t associated with Omnibus, right? I am so confused by all of those offerings. 

On 2/19/2019 at 8:28 AM, Jackie Kelly said:

I'm glad to hear about the positive experiences with Marissa Henry. I also am curious about the class content. What kinds of topics are addressed in the Rhetoric I class? My DS is on the young side, so I'm trying to decide if the content will be age appropriate for him. Does the class cover any literature or do any literary-based discussion/essays? I guess what I'm asking is what the difference is between Rhetoric I and something like Lange's persuasive writing. 

The approach is to write in a particular style about a topic.  Most of the source materials are fables, greek myths, historical perspectives, etc.  I don't remember anything that I would consider "mature".   There are readings to do, but it is not literature based.  An example is given and evaluated and then the student writes in that style.  Reading the description of Lange's it seems quite different because the focus at WTMA is not on producing a "thesis based essay."   Here is the blurb from the Rhetoric 1 online syllabus:

The first year of a three-year high school sequence. Introduction to the techniques of persuasive writing. The initial focus is on sentence and paragraph construction; students then move on to the progymnasmata exercises (narrative, description, fable, proverb, anecdote, refutation/confirmation, commonplace, praise and blame, comparison, speech-in-character) to teach thesis establishment, development, and support; the year concludes with the construction of a persuasive piece following the pattern established by Aristotle in Rhetoric.