Menu

Book a Week 2019 - BW7: Love is in the Air

Robin M

Currently reading -

The Small House at Allington - one of the Barchester novels. My goal is to finish this series since I only have two left. Trollope's prose is nothing special but I do like his stories and his characters. Plus he tends toward happier endings for his favorite characters than most of his contemporaries. 

Hamlet -  I'm no longer calling this Shakespeare in a Year, and changed it on Goodreads to Personal Shakespeare Challenge. I'll still follow the schedule of how much to read in a day but I don't feel pressured to read Shakespeare every single day (the schedule only gives you 2 or 3 days off the whole year). I also went out of order. The next play I should read is Richard II but ds and I are going to see Hamlet at the end of the month so I thought I'd read it for a refresher before we go. 

Summer  ( Overdrive audiobook)-This is an Edith Wharton I wasn't familiar with. It's also different in that the protagonist isn't from high society. 

Devil in the Grove: Thurgood Marshall, The Groveland Boys, and the Dawn of a New America. I've had this on hold at the library and it finally came in. Our governor and the clemency board posthumously pardoned the men last month (his first week in office - it was a campaign promise). 

I have some other books listed on my Goodreads currently reading list, but these are the ones I'm actively reading. 

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Robin M said:

How do you "see" the books you read?

I actually see the story in my head or fall into the story while I'm reading.   If I can't visualize the story, I have a hard time reading it.  Probably why I don't like horror. Too intense and gives me nightmares.  😀

Doing the happy dance because I've been wanting to reread Nora Roberts Northern Lights and while rearranging things in the garage I found my boxes of Nora Roberts books. Yeah! 

Happy Valentines Day, my lovelies. 

hearts16.gif

• Like 7

I just finished the third book in Alex Bledsoe's Tufa series. It wasn't quite what I was anticipating, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Alex Bledsoe's Long Black Curl: A Novel of the Tufa (Tufa Novels Book 3)

"In all the time the Tufa have existed, only two have ever been exiled: Bo-Kate Wisby and her lover, Jefferson Powell. They were cast out, stripped of their ability to make music, and cursed to never be able to find their way back to Needsville. Their crime? A love that crossed the boundary of the two Tufa tribes, resulting in the death of several people.

Somehow, Bo-Kate has found her way back, and fueled by vengeful plans to change the town forever. The only one who can stop Bo-Kate is Jefferson, but even he isn't sure what will happen when they finally meet. Will he fall in love with her again? Will he join her in her quest to reign over the Tufa? Or will he have to sacrifice himself to save the people who once banished him?"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

I finished Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine. A whole backlog of library book requests came in at once and while I had no memory of ordering this title, I had a pretty good idea it must have come from this board. A subsequent search shows many mentions, so thanks to all! It completely sucked me in, I love self-makeovers. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Robin M said:

I actually see the story in my head or fall into the story while I'm reading.   If I can't visualize the story, I have a hard time reading it.  Probably why I don't like horror. Too intense and gives me nightmares.  😀

Doing the happy dance because I've been wanting to reread Nora Roberts Northern Lights and while rearranging things in the garage I found my boxes of Nora Roberts books. Yeah! 

Happy Valentines Day, my lovelies. 

Yeah to finding your missing books!  😀

I finished relistening to The Others series earlier today and am now waiting for the new release!  Totally enjoyed them again!  Back to listening to Louise Penny before I read the new release.......after I finish a Patricia Briggs that finally appeared in my account.

I also finished Of Blood and Bone by Nora Roberts this evening.  I am going to be honest and say I liked Year One far better.  This one had a great ending but didn’t hold my attention as well as it should have.......I still gave it 4* but it came very close to 3*.......It works for my book chain and I plan to read her Shelter in Place soon for the next book in my chain.

I have several romances checked out so off to pick which one to actually read next!

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 6

I just finished the fourth Tufa book; I enjoyed this one, too. I guess I should have carried home books five and six when I was last at the library. Oh, well.

Alex Bledsoe's Chapel of Ease: A Novel of the Tufa (Tufa Novels Book 4)

"When Matt Johansson, a young New York actor, auditions for "Chapel of Ease," an off-Broadway musical, he is instantly charmed by Ray Parrish, the show's writer and composer. They soon become friends; Matt learns that Ray's people call themselves the Tufa and that the musical is based on the history of his isolated home town. But there is one question in the show's script that Ray refuses to answer: what is buried in the ruins of the chapel of ease?

As opening night approaches, strange things begin to happen. A dreadlocked girl follows Ray and spies on him. At the press preview, a strange Tufa woman warns him to stop the show. Then, as the rave reviews arrive, Ray dies in his sleep.

Matt and the cast are distraught, but there's no question of shutting down: the run quickly sells out. They postpone opening night for a week and Matt volunteers to take Ray's ashes back to Needsville. He also hopes, while he's there, to find out more of the real story behind the play and discover the secret that Ray took to his grave.

Matt's journey into the haunting Appalachian mountains of Cloud County sets him on a dangerous path, where some secrets deserve to stay buried. "

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

aI have had A Small Death in a Great Glen  A.D. Scott for the past couple of months and it somehow turned into a sip read for my Scotland 10 category. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7217221-a-small-death-in-the-great-glen. It sounds like a easy atmospheric mystery,  let’s get a feel for life in the Scottish Highlands post WWII.  I believe @Robin M found it for me on one of her lists back in the planning process for 2019 and others were interested in this book.  @aggieamy I think you were one of the interested and I don’t really think you will like this but I could be wrong!  Well...........this isn’t gentle, it has many triggers.  The main character is a victim of spousal abuse.  There is bigotry towards the Polish and Italian refugees who settle in the village.  There is pedophilia,  and finally a sweet little boy is the victim. It actually is probably really real..  It did meander through the story which is how it turned into a sip read........I think my library has the second book in this series and I probably will be setting it on the nightstand in a couple of months but this isn’t gentle.

I also finished my official Romance for the challenge.  I went with one titled Bad Bachelor by Stephanie London who also writes Historicals that I have enjoyed.  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36270620-bad-bachelor. It was a fun quick read with adult content.   One might say it had some timely content regarding the power of internet apps to ruin someone’s reputation.......

I also finished the second in a paranormal series by Maria Vale.  A Wolf Apart was not as good as the first book in the series.  I actually requested my library buy this book and am a bit embarrassed if I am honest.  It was blah....lots of angst and adult content.  The first book was  a bit different and highly appealing because it wasn’t a typical werewolf story.  I know @Kareni has read the first one in the series but not sure if she read this one.   It did win some reader awards and made some of the lists so I may be the only disappointed reader!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mumto2 said:

I also finished the second in a paranormal series by Maria Vale.  A Wolf Apart was not as good as the first book in the series.  I actually requested my library buy this book and am a bit embarrassed if I am honest.  It was blah....lots of angst and adult content.  The first book was  a bit different and highly appealing because it wasn’t a typical werewolf story.  I know @Kareni has read the first one in the series but not sure if she read this one.   It did win some reader awards and made some of the lists so I may be the only disappointed reader!

I did indeed read the first book but have yet to read the second, mumto2. I think I read a sample but did not follow through. It's quite possible that my thoughts would have aligned with yours.

But we do have Anne Bishop's Wild Country to look forward to....

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

Sci Fi and Fantasy readers HELP ME PLEASE!!!

We are in transit for a couple of days (I will have internet for most of tomorrow btw)

Dd had to give up her half read copy of Leviathan Wakes  in the library drop off and I have had it on reserve at two Overdrive sources all week.  She is next in line twice which does me no good.  She is also next in for a couple of others.......We are discouraged and out of ideas..........Give me some titles please!  I feel like my mommy pixie dust just crashed.  Dd is 20...........

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Robin M said:

@mumto2 Check out Keri Arthur’s City of Light, first book in her Outcast series, Yancey’s 5th Wave, Robert Charles Wilson Spin, or maybe Faith Hunter Soulwood Series.  

Thank you!  I sort of struck out again with these except for Soulwood.  These could work but they are quick,  my girl reads fast .......I calmed down enough to come up with a couple of others.  She is still finishing a paper so we will find her books tomorrow.  If anybody has any other ideas I would love to hear them.......

• Like 1

@Kareni Thank you!  Leviathan Wakes just became availiable!  She is closer to finished than I realized so will need at least one more book for travel and will need books again in a couple of weeks so maybe some of the hold’s will appear.  Maybe Soulwood......

She just finished Goblin Emperor and loved it!  Not sure that she feels the need to reread Anne Bishop or Hearne. Wrede and Wynn’s Jones are great ideas because she loved their YA back in the day.  The Martian is also a good possibility and availiable. Uprooted is on hold, so are some of Robin’s.  

• Like 3

For inquiring minds.......Dd ended up choosing The Martian.  Leviathan Wakes did show up so she has that.  We also downloaded The Historian and On Basilisk Station as emergency reads.  She is a very happy girl!  Thanks Robin and Kareni......we also have several hold’s and wish listed for the return trip.

• Like 1

For inquiring minds.......Dd ended up choosing The Martian.  Leviathan Wakes did show up so she has that.  We also downloaded The Historian and On Basilisk Station as emergency reads.  She is a very happy girl!  Thanks Robin and Kareni......we also have several hold’s and wish listed for the return trip.

eta...She also picked Windswept by Adam Rakunas which was on a recent Sci Fi list.

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 2

I'm reading The Martian right now -- started it after DH and I watched the movie Friday night.   Wrong order I know but I wasn't planning to watch or read it at all 😄

So far (I am maybe 1/3) the movie appears to have been very true to the book -- except in that you don't find out how he was left behind until later in the book but it is the start in the movie (this section of the book was a bit jarring to me in the way it started -- couldn't figure out what was going on at first).   Also so far the book is losing to the movie --opposite of my normal reaction. 

• Like 2