Menu

Read alouds for 8th graders

I'm looking for ideas for read alouds for 8th graders. I need something that fits this criteria:

-Primary objectives = focusing attention near the end of the day while getting some reading in. 

-Be something that's still followable if some reading days are skipped and/or students aren't present

-Preferably avoid trigger warnings for big issues such as family deaths, abuse, cliques,

-Appeal to a group with a wide range of interests and reading levels

-Not be something most students would have read in public school

I've considered a lot of books and keep striking out. I keep thinking maybe I need something that's  off the beaten path, but maybe that's just because I tend to prefer those books.  

On 2/10/2019 at 4:46 PM, Pippen said:

I'm looking for ideas for read alouds for 8th graders. I need something that fits this criteria:

-Primary objectives = focusing attention near the end of the day while getting some reading in. 

-Be something that's still followable if some reading days are skipped and/or students aren't present

-Preferably avoid trigger warnings for big issues such as family deaths, abuse, cliques,

-Appeal to a group with a wide range of interests and reading levels

-Not be something most students would have read in public school. You can find a list of this book at my article for https://edubirdie.com/buy-thesis-paper if you're interested.

I've considered a lot of books and keep striking out. I keep thinking maybe I need something that's  off the beaten path, but maybe that's just because I tend to prefer those books.  

I think that Biographies is the best variant. Also, you can read some modern writers stories, you can easily find them on Google.

• 3 months later...

DS (admittedly a couple of years younger than that) likes me to read him non-fiction (especially if science and nature-themed):

• A Forest Unseen
  • A Walk in the Woods (scan ahead enough to edit out profanity and a few stories about women)
  • Letters to a Young Scientist
  • Make Your Bed