Menu

Letter grade for PE?

Do you give a letter grade for PE or just a pass/fail? 

For PE in 9th grade he ran winter track at the local high school (worked hard, learned hurdle and high jump) and then we hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon.  So 9th grade would be:  PE:Track and Hiking

10th grade he has been going to the YMCA in the morning and working out, learned about all the machines.  So 10th grade would be:  PE: Fitness and Weightlifting

If I were to give him a letter grade he has worked hard and I would give him an "A." He is a soccer guy - that A would be his only A for 9th grade.  It would be a true reflection of the year!  Great in sports, not so great academically!  I was thinking I would do a year of PE for 9th and 10th and then .5  for 11th and 12th even though he would be probably doing more than 1/2 a credit of work.

So for the purposes of the GPA what are most doing? Letter grade or Pass/Fail? 

Thanks!

I did pass/fail for my older son because he went to a private high school for a year where that's what they did.  So I just did the same with his homeschool PE credits.

The younger one goes to the local public high school part time.  At that school they give letter grades, so that's what I'm doing for him, even though he will have no PE credits from them on his transcript.  I figure if colleges want to ignore those grades, they can.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Julie of KY said:

I gave a letter grade simply because some of the school scholarships that my son applied for change Pass/Fail to a numerical grade to calculate a grade for GPA - however it was not equivalent to an A.

I didn't want my boys to be hurt by only receiving a pass.

Very good to know!  I was going to just put “pass” for my dd’s PE grade.

@shelleysboys It sure depends. Sounds like your kid earned an A. My kid did a credit of Health & Fitness and, IMO, did not earn an A. I asked about this a year ago, and the consensus was that it would be a shame to lower her GPA because of a Health/P.E. credit. I gave her a Pass grade.

She has been given the top automatic merit scholarship at every one of the places she has applied to and will be interviewing soon for the top competitive award at one university. So, in those cases, having two credits of "Pass" on her transcript did not hurt her. (The other one was her Fine Arts credit. It seemed like they were similar in type, and it would look less strange to have two vs. just the one.)

• Like 2