Menu

Starting Latin Questions

happynurse

When is the typical time to begin Latin instruction?

I have a rising 2nd grader. First grade has been very lax around here. We will typically do a math lesson and he'll read to me. He loves to write, so other than the occasional WWE lesson, he mostly just writes while he plays. We are going to incorporate quite a bit more structure to our days next year, so there is going to be quite a learning curve for all of us. Because of this, I am not sure if adding Latin is the best idea. When do people typically begin Latin?

Also, I know nothing about Latin, and would need a very scripted/easy-to-teach program. Any recommendations on what might be a good fit? Visual or hands-on is ideal for this kiddo. He's pretty Type-A, but loves to create things with his hands. Worksheets are a slog...but we do use them some (CLE math...I'm looking at you.) 

Thanks!

I started Getting Started With Latin in 5th with my oldest, which was pretty good.  My only change for the next kids is to be more disciplined about it, so that we can finish in 5th, not dribble it out through 6th. 

As far as active, non-worksheet-y beginning Latin, I Speak Latin is conversational-based and pretty active.  For instance, the first lesson is basically Simon Says in Latin - my kids (4th/2nd grade) really enjoyed it.  (We didn't get far in it because I wasn't willing to be disciplined about Latin and we just petered out after a few lessons.  But it's the most fun, active elementary Latin I know of.)

• Like 1

I've started all of my children in Prima Latina in 3rd grade.  It is a beautiful intro to Latin, and can be done mostly orally.  I have no Latin background at all, and it is written so well that I can just pick it up and go.

https://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/latin/prima-latina-basic-set/

Memoria Press' Latin has been perfect for us right from the start, so I've never looked elsewhere.  My older kiddos are in 1st and 2nd Forms, and it is just so thorough and written in a logical way, designed for mastery.  I could not be more pleased with it!

• Like 2

We started in first grade with Song School Latin 1 (mostly songs and basic vocabulary), Song School Latin 2 in grade 2, Getting Started with Latin in grade 3. After that we used the (now out of print with wildly changeable pricing)  Latin Prep 1 in grade 4, Latin Prep 2 in grade 5, Latin Prep 3 in grade 6. In grade 7 we began outsourcing with Lukeion starting with their Latin 1 (Mrs. Barr), and plan to continue with that through their AP Latin.

Starting early was fun, and Song School Latin is very gentle. It was helpful for us to have that background before getting Getting Started with Latin, but we would have probably been fine without it.

• Like 1

We do Latin when a child shows interest, or they have the basics of English down well.  GSWL wasn't out with my oldest, so we used the first three levels of Latin's Not So Tough in upper elementary.  They are workbooks, but I don't remember actually writing in them until the third level.  Before that we did them orally or with plastic markers to match things.  With the youngest, we went over the first book/cards of LNST to work on learning how to read it first, then moved on to GSWL. 

• Like 1

I hadn't planned on starting yet but my first grader asked after doing MCT Building Language. So he's doing Song School Latin 1 now. He likes the DVD and it ties together what he's learning in Spanish as well. For that reason I find it valuable. The workbook is really below level in my opinion. It has mostly tracing and matching activities. So my preschooler does those parts and my first grader does the review orally and the light grammar parts in the book. Because of this I'm not sure what we'll be using next year. 

• Like 1