Menu

Degree Audit frustrations

easypeasy

Twice, my classes have been put through a degree audit process. First time was "unofficial" through the department my major is in. She emailed it to me with massive deficiencies within my major-specific, core-requirement classes. I was freaking out at first, then realized she'd put a lot of my major-specific humanities classes into the "gen ed humanities requirements" spots, ignored certain specific literature classes... just basically she plugged in random classes into the first available spot she saw open - which left a lot of specific classes "empty" and a lot of random classes I have taken just... sitting there doing nothing.

I sent her my version (with everything in its right place) and she was like, "Oh! Yes, this is fine." Then it got sent to the university's degree audit department....

who just sent it back to me today.... with the same types of mistakes!! At this rate, I'll be here another year. So, I sent her the same PDF I'd made of my classes and am awaiting her response.

HOW can they both have been so lazy about this? It's - literally - their actual job. All day, every day, it's what they are doing! If I weren't so on top of my own stuff, I'd be taking another 6-10 classes ... which is beyond ridiculous.

Makes me very thankful for dd's academic advisor at her school. After some rough patches, she has been spot-on for dd - alerting her to semester-specific classes, etc.and making sure that dd is on task.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

All. On. Paper. Very small (very nearby) college to get as many classes as I can before transferring to a much farther away university. Finishing an associate’s degree plus some additional transferable classes. (So I’m trying to ONLY take the classes that I know will transfer...) 

Lots of room for human error and miscommunication. I’m just crossing my fingers that it works out in my favor...

• Like 2

DegreeWorks is no guarantee, you still have to monitor it closely. My daughter went into a medium-sized state school with a bunch of DE credits, including two semesters of college-level ASL. This was in addition to the two years of high school Spanish and two years of high school Latin (started in 8th grade), so the ASL wasn't needed for either high school graduation or to meet college admission requirements. When she asked the college, she was told that the ASL would cover her foreign language gen ed requirement (two semesters of college level foreign language *or* at least one semester of a language if studied for high school).

Cue first run of degree audit to check how credits transferred---ASL is listed as her high school language and shows she needs another language class. She emails the registrar, they agree it is incorrect, and fix it. Latin is now correctly listed as high school foreign language, and no more foreign language needed. Check DegreeWorks and it's fixed.

Cue another run of degree audit mid-semester to start thinking about classes for next semester--back to listing ASL as high school language, need another foreign language. She contacts registrar again, they agree it's incorrect, fix it, and it shows up correctly in DegreeWorks.

Cue another run of degree audit after end of first semester--back to ground zero--ASL is high school language, need another foreign language, get it fixed, and it shows up correctly.

Cue most recent run of degree audit to see how changed classes impact---rinse and repeat---ASL is again high school language, foreign language required, and one of her classes is not showing up as meeting a particular competency requirement although it is listed as an option for that. Back to the registrar's office......

Very frustrating, and obviously a programming issue. Lesson for us is you can't depend solely on the college software or your advisor, you have to have a deep understanding yourself of how things work for your degree so you can stay on top of it, and it becomes even more important if you are going a bit out of the box--dual major, transferring in credits, etc.

• Like 4

This went higher up the food chain - and they’re sticking with the degree audit version of things. 😑 So. 

Wondering why, exactly, I was sent to the advisors who apparently have zero idea what they’re talking about? 

Not the end of the world in my case - but I’d be livid if this happened to dd at her university. Too much $$ at stake for this nonsense! 

(Part of the confusion is that they changed the degree requirements right when I declared the major - so I think everyone was unsure of what, exactly, was going on...) 

Edited by easypeasy
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, easypeasy said:

(Part of the confusion is that they changed the degree requirements right when I declared the major - so I think everyone was unsure of what, exactly, was going on...) 

At all the schools I've seen, you should be under the requirements that were in the catalog for the year you first enrolled, even if they changed the degree requirements later.

• Like 3

On 2/11/2019 at 9:54 PM, KarenNC said:

At all the schools I've seen, you should be under the requirements that were in the catalog for the year you first enrolled, even if they changed the degree requirements later.

I was a different major, so when I went to the office to change to this major, they’d just made the switch - so I was under the new requirements. At least, that’s what I am assuming? Maybe I need to ask that specifically - maybe there’s a chance they’ll umbrella me under the older requirements (the new ones are ridiculous - my humanities gen-Ed credits have to be degree-specific instead of... well, general! lol) I’ll stop by her office tomorrow and ask. Hopefully I saved a copy of the old requirements on my computer. 

7 hours ago, easypeasy said:

I was a different major, so when I went to the office to change to this major, they’d just made the switch - so I was under the new requirements. At least, that’s what I am assuming? Maybe I need to ask that specifically - maybe there’s a chance they’ll umbrella me under the older requirements (the new ones are ridiculous - my humanities gen-Ed credits have to be degree-specific instead of... well, general! lol) I’ll stop by her office tomorrow and ask. Hopefully I saved a copy of the old requirements on my computer. 

Yes, at least in my experience, if you change your major, you're bound by the requirements at the time you declared the new major. 

Also, colleges should have previous catalogs online, so you might try their website. 

• Like 1