Menu

What happened to me yesterday? (Food allergy?)

I do not know any foods that I'm allergic to and (in relation to this question), I've eaten my fair share of milk chocolate and almonds in my life.  Dairy, too.  I love dairy and consume much, especially milk and half 'n half.  Yesterday, when shopping at the store, I snacked on a Hershey's Milk Chocolate with Almonds bar. Within minutes, my nose was all pin prickly and I started to sneeze numerous times.  The check out girl even noticed my sneezing.  Then, I finished the bar and it went away.  I never thought that food allergies were a prickly/nose, sneezy type of thing.  And, as stated, I've had milk chocolate and almonds.  I just ate a handful of almonds this morning to test my reaction (none).

So, could that have been a food reaction, or might something else have been going on? 

Ingredients of the chocolate bar:  Milk chocolate (sugar, milk, chocolate, cocoa butter, milk fat, lecithin, natural flavors), almonds, sunflower oil. 

Might it have been an environmental allergen that you didn’t notice? Like a perfume nearby or a cleaning agent or something else airborn? I have only had the prickly nose/sneezing allergy to airborn particles like dust and fireplace ash. I don’t know if people can have that reaction from ingesting an allergen; I would think that very irregular. 

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Quill said:

Might it have been an environmental allergen that you didn’t notice? Like a perfume nearby or a cleaning agent or something else airborn? I have only had the prickly nose/sneezing allergy to airborn particles like dust and fireplace ash. I don’t know if people can have that reaction from ingesting an allergen; I would think that very irregular. 

I guess that's possible!  I did walk around the large grocery/household goods store while I snacked on the bar, so wasn't just in one place. 

If my Dh eats something very sweet, like chocolate, without any other food or on an empty stomach, his nose will often bleed.  I'm mentioning this because you said your nose got tingly, even if it didn't bleed.

Edited by Serenade

A few years ago, my dh suddenly developed an allergy or sensitivity of some sort to coffee. Whenever he drank it, he got sneezy and his nose would just run like a faucet. It wasn't any particular brand or type of coffee that did it - it was any coffee. Even just walking into a coffee shop and smelling it would cause that reaction. So after years of being a coffee drinker, he had to give it up.

One other possibility as far as something you might be reacting to, could it maybe be the wrapper or something with the wrapper.  Many times, stores and warehouses don't pay real close attention to rotating their candy stocks, which means candy bars can sometimes be sitting and collecting dust.