Menu

What's with the ads?

vaquitita

2019-2020 Kindergarten planning

This will be my fourth, and last, time teaching K. Not sure whether to cry or celebrate. 😄

Math: second half of Right Start A. I'm also going to pick up the new Singapore Dimensions K workbooks for something fun and colorful to do while driving around to the bigger kids classes.

LA: We just started LOE foundations A and so far so good, so I think we'll be continuing that and level B next year.

This is my first time doing cursive first (well he did learn to write capitals this year with HWOT, but tho he recognizes lowercase letters he isn't writing them), but it seems like good timing because it's time for his 8yo brother to learn cursive and they love doing everything together. Hopefully I can match up LOE A cursive and Rhythm of Handwriting. 

History: tag along with bookshark 1

Science: tag along with RSO Life

We'll probably also do a few more Ivy Kids kits, those were fun this year.

Other: speech therapy, swimming

• Like 2

My thoughts for K didn't go over this year, so we're doing a redo year. He's 6, and technically would only be going into K this year anyway with an August birthday. 

Reading: AAR, we just started 1 so hopefully we'll move into 2 (or switch to OPGTR if he gets bored with AAR) 
Handwriting: HWT K/1 
Math: Singapore 1 along with Natural Math (as done in Torchlight)
Science: BFSU and Torchlight
Torchlight pre-k (K was our not enjoyed this year so doing pre-k with both boys since I think they'll enjoy it)

• Like 2

My youngest is going to be in K next year. 😲 I can't believe she is that big yet, even though she already likes to do "math" which is what she calls all school stuff. I'll have a better idea of what she likes and will be ready for as it gets closer.

Math: I have *all* the things from older siblings, so we will try out a number of things to see what she likes. Miquon, Saxon, Singapore, Right Start, MEP.

Reading: Phonics Museum, AAR, Bob books, Turbo Reader, again using what I have in whatever combination she wants.

Other stuff (maybe): Vos Story Bible, FIAR, Classical Kids, Let's Read and Find Out Science, Discovering Great Artists, Signing Time videos, maybe listening in to some of her sister's VP ancient history

• Like 2

Singapore Earlybird B
Explode the Code 1 - 4
I think I'll start him off with an ancient history unit on Egypt like I did for E.

We do some subjects combined with friends:
Bravewriter
Mystery Science

• Like 2

This will be my 3rd student in K!

I use a strange combo of The Writing Road to Reading (4th ed. Spalding Method) and Phonics Pathways to teach phonograms, reading, and handwriting.

Math Mammoth 1

BFSU for science

Evan Moor's Beginning Geography 

Virtues in Practice year 3 for PreK-K

A smattering of read alouds from Memoria Press's K list

As a family: Bible reading, art study, composer study, poetry, and other stuff I'm sure... during Morning Time 

Edited by carriede
  • Like 2

My first post and my first year officially homeschooling! I've been researching since my oldest was 2... 🙄

We are currently doing unofficial homeschooling using Mathematical Reasoning Beginning 2 and OPTGR (and really love this simple combo!) We had tried out AAR Level 1 but as it progressed he was not loving it and I didn't want to push it with him being 4! So we purchased AAR Pre-Reading and do this after OPTGR as a dessert of sorts. He is making major progress with OPTGR however, so I don't think we need to go down the AAR route, however cute that puppet is 😉 We also have the Phonics Museum app that we use here and there and we will probably continue with it because we both love Miss Biddle.

Ok, for K, I have fallen in love with Memoria Press! We are about to start their Jr. Kindergarten literature and the Myself & Others Book One core set in addition to what we are doing now. I plan to use their K curriculum as is, and actually really looking forward to Rod and Staff Math! In addition to their Bible curriculum we will also continue to do Awana.

Edited by mamaheg
  • Like 4

We will do The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading, Zaner-Bloser K, and Singapore Essential Math.

He may listen in to SOTW1 with DS6, and he'll definitely listen to all our read-alouds. Other than that, he'll just do his own thing.

• Like 1

This will be my 6th time teaching Kindergarten but thankfully not my last.

Language Arts: HWT K, word building with a movable alphabet until he's ready for AAS 1, OPGTR, lots of read-alouds

Math: I usually use RightStart A for K, but he has been asking for a workbook.  We might use something from Singapore Math.

Science: Animals and Habitats with One Small Square series and an animal encylopedia

Religion: Bible, saint stories, Little Acts of Grace 1 & 2

Spanish: tag along with older siblings using La Clase Divertida 2

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mamaheg said:

My first post and my first year officially homeschooling! I've been researching since my oldest was 2... 🙄

We are currently doing unofficial homeschooling using Mathematical Reasoning Beginning 2 and OPTGR (and really love this simple combo!) We had tried out AAR Level 1 but as it progressed he was not loving it and I didn't want to push it with him being 4! So we purchased AAR Pre-Reading and do this after OPTGR as a dessert of sorts. He is making major progress with OPTGR however, so I don't think we need to go down the AAR route, however cute that puppet is 😉 We also have the Phonics Museum app that we use here and there and we will probably continue with it because we both love Miss Biddle.

Ok, for K, I have fallen in love with Memoria Press! We are about to start their Jr. Kindergarten literature and the Myself & Others Book One core set in addition to what we are doing now. I plan to use their K curriculum as is, and actually really looking forward to Rod and Staff Math! In addition to their Bible curriculum we will also continue to do Awana.

Welcome! It sounds like y'all are having fun and will have a great year next year as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This will be our first official year as well.

We'll be doing the HWOT transitional K level. DS needs a lot of work on handwriting. I'm not sure about reading. He already reads on a 1st grade level, so we may not do anything formal, just let him read easy reader books.

For math, I bought RS A last year but never really used it. So we'll probably work through it for his K year.

Not sure about the other subjects yet. State requires a bunch of subjects so we'll have to think of something.

• Like 2

Sniff, my baby is K in the fall as well too. She will be our last Ker, plus we'll have one senior and one sophomore in high school too. So if I stick to what I usually do we will:

1st Semester:: 

finish the Rod and Staff ABC workbook series, Start Rod and Staff 1st grade math, and use Bob books for beginning reading practice. 

2nd Semester: 

Will be finished with the ABC workbooks, move into Rod and Staff 1st grade reading/phonics/Bible, finish Rod and Staff 1st grade math. 

***** She will start as a Daisy Girl Scout, continue dance classes, and be a part of our homeschool group for field trips and monthly kid activity days around state and governmental topics next year for our theme. I may possibly have big sis start piano if we can get it into the schedule. It may need to wait. We will do read alouds constantly from our shelves, the library, around holidays and seasons, and topics from outside activities that we are exposed to. I don't have a specific list. I use What Your Preschooler and Kindergartner Need to Know for a starting place for songs and poetry and short stories as an easy place to start. Will do either a zoo or science musuem family pass, though we never go as much as I would like to those. I am doing a big history year for my olders to wrap up their last time through, so she will be along for a lot of that. I am doing a History of Fashion with my 10th grade class and she will be involved in smaller versions of art projects and sewing projects and things along with that. 

BUT>>>> this could all change. I have been using a lot of Schoolhouseteachers dot com classes for my older kids. And there is a ton on there for little kids too. If I have time this summer, I may choose something else entirely for her. Also, when I pull out my K/1st grade curriculum from storage I have SOOO much like FIAR, Abeka K, MFW K, HWT and other things that I have picked up or been gifted that I might read through and see if I want to use for anything. I kind of doubt it. I have so much available, but I also know what I like and what works for us- So more than likely I will stick to the same old same old from above!