Menu

2019-2020 Kindergarten planning

vaquitita

This will be my fourth, and last, time teaching K. Not sure whether to cry or celebrate. 😄

Math: second half of Right Start A. I'm also going to pick up the new Singapore Dimensions K workbooks for something fun and colorful to do while driving around to the bigger kids classes.

LA: We just started LOE foundations A and so far so good, so I think we'll be continuing that and level B next year.

This is my first time doing cursive first (well he did learn to write capitals this year with HWOT, but tho he recognizes lowercase letters he isn't writing them), but it seems like good timing because it's time for his 8yo brother to learn cursive and they love doing everything together. Hopefully I can match up LOE A cursive and Rhythm of Handwriting. 

History: tag along with bookshark 1

Science: tag along with RSO Life

We'll probably also do a few more Ivy Kids kits, those were fun this year.

Other: speech therapy, swimming

• Like 2

My thoughts for K didn't go over this year, so we're doing a redo year. He's 6, and technically would only be going into K this year anyway with an August birthday. 

Reading: AAR, we just started 1 so hopefully we'll move into 2 (or switch to OPGTR if he gets bored with AAR) 
Handwriting: HWT K/1 
Math: Singapore 1 along with Natural Math (as done in Torchlight)
Science: BFSU and Torchlight
Torchlight pre-k (K was our not enjoyed this year so doing pre-k with both boys since I think they'll enjoy it)

• Like 2

My youngest is going to be in K next year. 😲 I can't believe she is that big yet, even though she already likes to do "math" which is what she calls all school stuff. I'll have a better idea of what she likes and will be ready for as it gets closer.

Math: I have *all* the things from older siblings, so we will try out a number of things to see what she likes. Miquon, Saxon, Singapore, Right Start, MEP.

Reading: Phonics Museum, AAR, Bob books, Turbo Reader, again using what I have in whatever combination she wants.

Other stuff (maybe): Vos Story Bible, FIAR, Classical Kids, Let's Read and Find Out Science, Discovering Great Artists, Signing Time videos, maybe listening in to some of her sister's VP ancient history

• Like 2

This will be my 3rd student in K!

I use a strange combo of The Writing Road to Reading (4th ed. Spalding Method) and Phonics Pathways to teach phonograms, reading, and handwriting.

Math Mammoth 1

BFSU for science

Evan Moor's Beginning Geography 

Virtues in Practice year 3 for PreK-K

A smattering of read alouds from Memoria Press's K list

As a family: Bible reading, art study, composer study, poetry, and other stuff I'm sure... during Morning Time 

Edited by carriede
  • Like 2

My first post and my first year officially homeschooling! I've been researching since my oldest was 2... 🙄

We are currently doing unofficial homeschooling using Mathematical Reasoning Beginning 2 and OPTGR (and really love this simple combo!) We had tried out AAR Level 1 but as it progressed he was not loving it and I didn't want to push it with him being 4! So we purchased AAR Pre-Reading and do this after OPTGR as a dessert of sorts. He is making major progress with OPTGR however, so I don't think we need to go down the AAR route, however cute that puppet is 😉 We also have the Phonics Museum app that we use here and there and we will probably continue with it because we both love Miss Biddle.

Ok, for K, I have fallen in love with Memoria Press! We are about to start their Jr. Kindergarten literature and the Myself & Others Book One core set in addition to what we are doing now. I plan to use their K curriculum as is, and actually really looking forward to Rod and Staff Math! In addition to their Bible curriculum we will also continue to do Awana.

Edited by mamaheg
  • Like 3

This will be my 6th time teaching Kindergarten but thankfully not my last.

Language Arts: HWT K, word building with a movable alphabet until he's ready for AAS 1, OPGTR, lots of read-alouds

Math: I usually use RightStart A for K, but he has been asking for a workbook.  We might use something from Singapore Math.

Science: Animals and Habitats with One Small Square series and an animal encylopedia

Religion: Bible, saint stories, Little Acts of Grace 1 & 2

Spanish: tag along with older siblings using La Clase Divertida 2

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mamaheg said:

My first post and my first year officially homeschooling! I've been researching since my oldest was 2... 🙄

We are currently doing unofficial homeschooling using Mathematical Reasoning Beginning 2 and OPTGR (and really love this simple combo!) We had tried out AAR Level 1 but as it progressed he was not loving it and I didn't want to push it with him being 4! So we purchased AAR Pre-Reading and do this after OPTGR as a dessert of sorts. He is making major progress with OPTGR however, so I don't think we need to go down the AAR route, however cute that puppet is 😉 We also have the Phonics Museum app that we use here and there and we will probably continue with it because we both love Miss Biddle.

Ok, for K, I have fallen in love with Memoria Press! We are about to start their Jr. Kindergarten literature and the Myself & Others Book One core set in addition to what we are doing now. I plan to use their K curriculum as is, and actually really looking forward to Rod and Staff Math! In addition to their Bible curriculum we will also continue to do Awana.

Welcome! It sounds like y'all are having fun and will have a great year next year as well.

• Like 2

This will be our first official year as well.

We'll be doing the HWOT transitional K level. DS needs a lot of work on handwriting. I'm not sure about reading. He already reads on a 1st grade level, so we may not do anything formal, just let him read easy reader books.

For math, I bought RS A last year but never really used it. So we'll probably work through it for his K year.

Not sure about the other subjects yet. State requires a bunch of subjects so we'll have to think of something.

• Like 2

Sniff, my baby is K in the fall as well too. She will be our last Ker, plus we'll have one senior and one sophomore in high school too. So if I stick to what I usually do we will:

1st Semester:: 

finish the Rod and Staff ABC workbook series, Start Rod and Staff 1st grade math, and use Bob books for beginning reading practice. 

2nd Semester: 

Will be finished with the ABC workbooks, move into Rod and Staff 1st grade reading/phonics/Bible, finish Rod and Staff 1st grade math. 

***** She will start as a Daisy Girl Scout, continue dance classes, and be a part of our homeschool group for field trips and monthly kid activity days around state and governmental topics next year for our theme. I may possibly have big sis start piano if we can get it into the schedule. It may need to wait. We will do read alouds constantly from our shelves, the library, around holidays and seasons, and topics from outside activities that we are exposed to. I don't have a specific list. I use What Your Preschooler and Kindergartner Need to Know for a starting place for songs and poetry and short stories as an easy place to start. Will do either a zoo or science musuem family pass, though we never go as much as I would like to those. I am doing a big history year for my olders to wrap up their last time through, so she will be along for a lot of that. I am doing a History of Fashion with my 10th grade class and she will be involved in smaller versions of art projects and sewing projects and things along with that. 

BUT>>>> this could all change. I have been using a lot of Schoolhouseteachers dot com classes for my older kids. And there is a ton on there for little kids too. If I have time this summer, I may choose something else entirely for her. Also, when I pull out my K/1st grade curriculum from storage I have SOOO much like FIAR, Abeka K, MFW K, HWT and other things that I have picked up or been gifted that I might read through and see if I want to use for anything. I kind of doubt it. I have so much available, but I also know what I like and what works for us- So more than likely I will stick to the same old same old from above!  

• 3 weeks later...

I think my second child will be starting Kindergarten this year ... we'll have to see. I am hesitant, because she's ready in a sense of sitting down, sitting still, her hand to eye coordination (from coloring and counting) is fantastic, but something feels off. Like she's not 100% ready. But we shall see. September is a long way away, so she may be ready by then! If so, this is the plan.

Phonics: Logic of English A. MAYBE B, if she progresses fast. No pressure, no one to impress if she gets there or not.

Math: Singapore Essentials A and B. Same guidelines as Phonics.

Science: Elemental Science: Intro to Science. My soon-to-be second grader was very happy to repeat this course and then do second grade science, so science will be non-stop this year. But my girls are so happy about it I can't help but be enthused with them!

Bible: Coloring pages while listening to big sister read passages. Builds fluency for the second-grader, teaches listening skills for my Kindergartener and gets me off the hook of at least one read aloud.

History: Tagging along with big sister and participating in whatever project is going on. Adventures in America, followed by Story of the World 2. She loves hands on and art, so I expect she'll join for just about all of it.

Health: Horizons K --- basic introductions she may remember from her big sister's health course, but the course is meant to be fun so she can have her own "Health Train" to be proud of. (Alternating with History)

Geography: DK Pre-K and K. 

Art: (Fridays only, stress reliever for the weekend) "The Way They See It." I don't think either have the coordination to proceed to Book 2 of Artistic Pursuits (we did Book 1 this year) so I think it'll be fun to redo the Kindergarten art for both of them. Neither complained when I asked about repeating it --- they want to play with the smelly markers again. 😉 

It sounds like a lot but her actual subjects will be no more than, at best, an hour of work a day. The rest will be just a lot art and craft projects to build listening skills, hand-to-eye coordination, art skills, and just fun to do while listening to music and talking. 

I'm not sure where to classify my kiddo, who will be 4.5 when the school year starts...that's technically preschool age, but we'll be doing kindergarten level work since he's plugging away at a few things already.

We will likely be through (or on the latter end) of OPGTR by Sept 2019, so we'll finish that and work on improving reading skills from there on out. No real language arts/reading/English program until 1st grade, unless something catches my eye. Whatever read alouds we think look interesting.  😄 Right now the themed literature packs like around the world in picture books from BFB just don't seem to catch my kids' attention, so I'm backing off on formal topics and just reading whatever we want to, in many genres. 

Handwriting, we're using Zaner Bloser K and he'll likely be into the ZB1 book by then, but essentially we'll just move up whenever he finishes ZBK.

Math, we're using Saxon K and that will take us awhile to finish since we don't do it daily. We'll move straight to Saxon 1 when K is completed, whenever that happens to fall.

I'm not sure if we'll worry about science or history for Kindergarten- all depends on where life is at that point. I'll be teaching my now 3yo to read at that point, based on his current abilities, as well as starting him on handwriting and math, so I doubt I'll add too much to my big's schedule just to allow me the time to cover everything.

My baby will be 5 next week, so we're starting then:

• phonics & handwriting: finish memorizing the sounds of the alphabet, then 100 EZ Lessons and OPGTR
  • Math: probably RightStart A, with some Saxon K thrown in for reinforcement
  • Science & Social Studies (required in my state): MP's Kindergarten Supplemental Science & Enrichment read aloud set & BFSU
  • Lit: read-alouds, lots of mythology
  • Foreign Language: my mother thinks it's only fair to sign this child up for Spanish if Big Sis is getting it too, so...maybe Homeschool Spanish Academy??
  • Extras: swim lessons, maybe a Kindermusik class, a substantial art table, Girl Scouts Daisy, 4-H Cloverbuds, the occasional Ivy Kids kit
  • Like 1

My 5th and last time teaching K.  😞  We'll be using MP K.  I'm not sure if we'll start at the beginning of the year or wait until January (He turns 6 in February).  Their K program almost looks like a typical 1st grade program, so I don't think it will hurt to hold off.  We are doing Jr.K this year and may need all fall to finish it. 

I just signed my kids up for the Amazon Stem Club, and those types of activities keep him busy when I'm working with his siblings. We do 2 co-ops, which each meet twice a month.  He will participate in at least one of them. 

So this year prek we have been completing.

saxon math k

Teach your child to read 100 easy lesson

handwriting without tears pre k

so far for next year i know we are doing

saxon math 1

handwriting without tears k and 1

not sure about reading Yet

• Like 1

This will be my fourth little guy to do K.  I'm still thinking it through

Math- Either MUS Alpha or Math for a Living Education

Reading/Writing/Spelling- IEW PAL continuing from where he currently is

History/Geography-  Around the World with Picture Books, lots on hands on things

Literature- Sonlight P4/5 and A as we want since we have all the book

Handwriting- HWOT K and 1

I'll probably grab some Ivy Kids boxes once our current ones are done and possibly another kit club for fun

• 1 month later...

Hello all!

I'm new here and will be starting my oldest on Kindergarten this year. So glad to have this community here! I've got a 5 year old, 3 year old, and 18 month old ( all boys ) so my biggest concern is keeping everyone occupied and happy during school time. I used MFW pre-k (voyage of discovery) with my oldest and loved it and then we started their kinder curriculum but I wasn't a fan so now I think I'll go a different direction. I am going to still use the MFW pre-school and pre-k curriculums for my younger 2. when they are ready I feel like I'm scrambling a little to make choices on kinder planning.  I change my mind every day!! Thanks everyone for sharing your plans, it's really helping me make some choices!

Ok, so I am adding HWOT. I was gifted the whole set,vso why not. She's lived playing around with some of it so far, so I'll incorporate. And now we had a speech eval and will be adding speech therapy. So 1st semester:

HWOT

Speech homework

R&S 1st grade math

R&S 1st ABC books D-F

I will rotate either the ABC books or the HWOT work, not both in the same day!

Bob books at bedtime reading. 

2nd semester

Same, but add in R&S 1st grade phonics and Reading when ABC workbooks are complete. She'll turn 6 with a winter bday, so she'll be my latest starter as a reader. 

I'm still thinking things through, but educational plans for math and LA are due this month so I'm trying to finalize at least those subjects.

DD will be 5 in November.

Math - We have Saxon K. I think she's a bit beyond it, but I'm not sure. Singapore K? She'll like the manipulatives.

Reading - thinking OPGTR &/or AAR Pre-Reading

Writing - HWT K books

Misc. - Wordly Wise 3000 K

Tagging along for group subjects

Canadian History (Year 1 of 2)

Canadian Geography

Canadian Government

Mystery Science

Mr. Q Chemistry?

Get Started With French/CAP French for Children

Edited by AsgardCA

I am planning to do the following with my little Ker this fall.

Speech therapy- he has made such strides that unless you were told, you wouldn't notice.  He is doing therapy with a therapist weekly and using Super Star Speech daily with me.

A combination of The Reading Lesson and Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons...I plan to alternate days with these.  I also have tons of letter matching/sound matching puzzles and word wheels that advance from beginning to complex sounds for a different way to work on sounds.

Bob book for Beginning Readers workbook for handwriting review.

A couple Developing the Early Learner workbooks for skills development.

Tons of Readalouds

Math-Counting, writing, and recognizing numbers to 100, practicing addition to 10 and then 18 progressively with manipulatives and followed by memorizing flashcards.  I will also work on time, calendar, and measurement. 

This is all we will be doing.  Reading, Writing, Arithmetic, and a little bit of thinking skills.  

I already own all of the formerly mentioned things, but if I had the money I would add CLE K2 workbooks as my last Ker loved them and they are fun! MFW K has fun units as well...but I lost mine when we moved or during the flood eight after we moved...not quite sure...but I did that with my first 3 and loved it...not a huge fan of the phonics and math portions compared to CLE,  but the units are great....and if I end up with just a bit extra money before fall and can find it used I would like to do it with my 2 littles together.  If not I will hopefully get it for next year...I think the activities and stories are great for a wider age than just K.

Brenda

Edited to add...I am adding in CLE K2 program and the GHI series from Rod and Staff...my son has LOVED the preschool books...

2nd semester when he has finished CLE K I will add in Rod and Staff Math 1...and possibly do Pathway Reading 1.  He is already reading 3 and 4 letter words pretty well so I belive he will be ready for more fun about then.  Rod and Staff are such fun workbooks for kiddos.

Edited by homemommy83

• 1 month later...

My youngest will be a Ker this Fall.  How did that happen?!

We’re going to sort-of-unschool like I did with my next-to-youngest.  He did however much or little he chose, with the only stipulations being that if he wanted music lessons, he had to practice on schooldays, and he had to write something every week.  

Phonics—He’s doing All About Reading.  I am considering adding the Happy Phonics games.  (He may be dyslexic.  We will see.)  He is super motivated to learn to read so he can do Beast Academy Online like his older siblings.

Math—Singapore

Handwriting—HWOT

Music—Suzuki violin lessons  He’s very excited to get to start lessons with a “real” teacher (as opposed to mom).

Tag-Alongs—He will join in however much he wants to with his older siblings on BFSU for science, SOTW1 for history, Spanish of some kind with his brother (Salsa maybe, tutor maybe, something else?), memory work, art.

• 7 months later...

My first set of twins turn 5 in September. I'm doing a gradual start to formal(ish) schooling as they show interest. So far I plan to school year round and roll right from one grade level into the next whenever it suits them.

I planned a few subjects so I have materials available when they show interest. I don't have the spare energy to invent stuff on the fly!

Reading: All About Reading 1

Math: Math Mammoth 1

Music: Music for Little Mozarts (Piano)

Religion: read kids' bible, maybe 5-minute devotional, preschool/K curriculum from godwithusbooks.org

Handwriting: A Reason for Hsndwriting K/1 (whatever level each kid needs)

German: find cartoons

I also have a collection of short chapter books for read alouds (in addition to picture books and board books).

My biggest challenge will be the rest of the kids. I also have 3 year old twins, 16 month old twins, and probably a fourth set on the way in October.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2020 at 2:23 AM, Nicki G said:

My first set of twins turn 5 in September. I'm doing a gradual start to formal(ish) schooling as they show interest. So far I plan to school year round and roll right from one grade level into the next whenever it suits them.

I planned a few subjects so I have materials available when they show interest. I don't have the spare energy to invent stuff on the fly!

Reading: All About Reading 1

Math: Math Mammoth 1

Music: Music for Little Mozarts (Piano)

Religion: read kids' bible, maybe 5-minute devotional, preschool/K curriculum from godwithusbooks.org

Handwriting: A Reason for Hsndwriting K/1 (whatever level each kid needs)

German: find cartoons

I also have a collection of short chapter books for read alouds (in addition to picture books and board books).

My biggest challenge will be the rest of the kids. I also have 3 year old twins, 16 month old twins, and probably a fourth set on the way in October.

Good luck! You sure have your hands full. 

• 1 month later...

How has it gone for everyone this year? I can't believe we are wrapping up K!

This is how it has gone for us: 
1st semester, Finsish the Rod and Staff ABC series- completed, Start R&S Math 1-yes, works great. She picked it all up so quickly! She did dance, girl scouts, found a library storytime around Nov. that we started attending regularly that had great activities. Did homeschool group government activities and field trips around the state.  HWOT did not work out for us. I just couldn't work it in beside every once in awhile to play the CDs and play with the blocks, but we did copywork from things like Draw Write Now around our content studies, and her writing seems to be going fine. For everything else she just followed the holidays and around the girls' studies . She did Dover historical coloring books about pioneers, fashion, the Revolutionary War, New England famouse homes, colonial life, etc. which I read to her and from picture books. She watched cartoon shows on topics, like Liberty's kids, etc. She did several girl scout events and started meetings, did a Christmas dance recital, saw a ballet. 

2nd semester we started up with Rod and Staff reading and phonics grade 1, alternating phonics one day, reading the next, a couple of times a week. It has gone SO well. She has really picked up reading well. She hasn't mastered it, but the desire was there. We have done units from What Your Ker Needs to Know, done lots of read alouds and field trips mostly government related, but others too. She won honorable mention in the State Bar Association's Law Day art contest that our co-op entered. She sold girl scout cookies with her troop and with her sisters.

And then the world went crazy, lol. I got super sick the first two weeks. Who knows what I had, because I couldn't get a test or even a doctor's appointment, but I got better. We took a week of spring break, two weeks of me being sick, and now we are back to it. We started the Scholastic Remote Learning as part of her daily school and she loves it. It is like a mini unit study I would put together for a co-op preK/K class all done for me. I just have to click on it to get her started and do one or two of the activities with her after the online stuff. I really like it. Dance classes are on zoom in my tiny living room, but at least she sees her friends. And she plays endlessly alone in our backyard and with her teen sisters. It's been crazy, but good really. We are blessed in that everyone we know personally is healthy. So praying this ends quickly, but K year is still going strong here. 

How has your year been?