Menu

Homeschool Planet vs Project Management Software?

I haven't tried the free trial yet (I probably will this weekend).

I only have one kiddo left at home, but Homeschool Planet would be well worth it's cost if it would be adaptable to scheduling my work projects along with the other things it does (groceries, etc.) plus the homeschool schedule/ gradebook, etc.

I'm not a fan of Trello or Evernote. I have access to the full 365 suite, but it looked hard to use for what I want. I use Google Classroom right now, but I haven't played with the gradebook feature that's in Beta. I'd be just as happy to move away from Google products if Homeschool Planet would take over most of that in a non-tracking-me-online sort of way. 

What does the Hive think?

I'm using the free trial now (also tried Homeschool Tracker and Homeschool Minder) and have decided to buy it for next year (and if that goes well, every year). You can put anything in as a class for yourself and add assignments, resources, and specific days and times. You can also add one-time appointments and recurring activities and chores.

I assigned myself a class called Dinner on Monday through Thursday nights; I assigned Friday Night Dinner to both DS and myself, with the intent that we'll work together. I think it will be helpful to have all the day's plans in one spot.

• Like 1

I have been trialing Canvas - which is a free learning management system - and I like it. It is very flexible, my sons can turn in assignments through Canvas. It comes with an app. The work is in setting up the assignments. I don't use due dates, but I required work to be completed in order; so each lesson is locked until previous is done. I don't know how useable it will be as project management, but since it's free ...

• Like 2

Nice! I didn't think about Canvas. I used it in grad school. I also used Blackboard when I taught CC classes, and I think they have a free platform as well. I will definitely check those out. I am a mostly a project team of one, so my communication and delegation needs are light, but having everything in one place would be a bonus.

I will probably buy a couple months of Homeschool Planet because I have so much data in it at the moment. Anyone have a coupon code? 🙂