Menu

storage question

Noreen Claire

Where do you store your curriculum/books/supplies that you aren't currently using? The items that you are holding on to for next year/next child? I just bought almost all of our books/workbooks for next year and between that stuff, the stuff we are currently using, and the stuff that is waiting for the next kid to use, I have completely run out of shelf space in my 'homeschool' bookshelf. What's your storage solution?

I have two of these

https://www.amazon.com/Sauder-Barrister-Bookcase-Scribed-Finish/dp/B00D8DJST0/ref=sr_1_17?s=furniture&ie=UTF8&qid=1549600326&sr=1-17&refinements=p_89%3ASauder

and 1 of these

https://www.amazon.com/Sauder-414725-Scribed-Barrister-Bookcase/dp/B00D8DLXBG/ref=sr_1_51?s=furniture&ie=UTF8&qid=1549600364&sr=1-51&refinements=p_89%3ASauder

One of the low ones is upstairs and has all the work we are actively using (each kiddo has 2 cubbies and youngest stores some toys in his with his "workbooks"). The other 2 are downstairs and house all our unused curriculum as well as any school specific resources.  The built in dividers are fantastic for keeping subjects grouped together both for seeing what I have for a future year as well as putting aware the non consumables at the end of the year. Fun/free reading books are stored on whatever random bookshelves we have accumulated throughout the house.

• Like 1

When we were homeschooling I always boxed up the things I was saving for younger DS. I labeled the box(es) appropriately and they lived in a spare closet. But I was only schooling two kids, so it was easy to remember what I had. For multiple kids I would probably have kept a master list of what was boxed up.

• Like 1

Um.....at friends' houses? 😄 

A good bit of my stuff is out on loan this year.  For the rest, I have a large room that I keep future work in on 2 double bookcases: math, science, history, language arts/misc.  As we finish material this year, I drop it in a box.  That gets sorted out at the end: some will end up on my kid's bookshelves, some will be put in a rubbermaid container because I want to keep it for later, and some will be kept in the box and go in my car so the next park day or whatever I can offer it up to someone else (usually picture books or definitely outgrown/never use again).  Right now I have one Rubbermaid container that is all K-1st: games, toys, fun activities..and a much less filled one that will be 2nd-4th.  My goal is to eventually move the bookshelves into the totes and just be able to pull totes for what I want at that time.

• Like 1

I have a big L shaped corner desk with bookshelves on each side that I found at a garage sale that I keep all my curricula in. Curricula is grouped by subject and then lined up by age range. Each kid also has a shelf for the stuff they are currently using. The kids use the center desk part sometimes for school and I do a lot of grading there since everything is close to hand. I puffy heart love it, but not everybody has room for a furniture piece like that. This is separate from our 3 home library bookshelf units, which are part of our family room decor.

It's possible I may have a small book/curriculum hoarding problem, but I don't care 🙂

Edited by Momto5inIN
  • Like 1

I have a big ikea bookshelf, and use it for things we will use in the future, things I pretend I’ll use and can’t get rid of 😂 and encyclopedias/readers. We move often so it depends on our house, but in the last one I placed it in the garage (our schoolroom was right off the garage area). In our current house, one of the bedrooms is our schoolroom so I’ve put the shelf inside the closet (since the closet isn’t used for clothes). I like it in the closet bc it’s out of the way. 

• Like 1