Menu

What is nature study?

Bluegoat

Yeah, you are thinking along the same lines as me, I think it has to be involved in actually interacting in some way with nature.

So, not quite like reading Fabre, say, which is reading about him doing nature study.  Very valuable, and related, but not the same.  And maybe not quite the same as natural history either, which again is a bit more removed or abstracted.

I really like what you said about drawing - I agree, I think that s what drawing and sketching, reproducing images, is about - it's about knowing things in an almost contemplative and intimate way.  And importantly, knowing in a very physically oriented way - our society is very inclined to abstract information away from it's material basis - which is weird given how obsessed with "science" as the ultimate reality we are.  I think this form of contemplative attention to the physical , compared to an abstract analytical approach to learning about a thing, is comparable to prayer or the Eucharist as a way to experience God rather than studying theology.  Mystic experience over rational apprehension.  Of course, really, the two things are not so separate in the end, you can't have real knowing without the experience.

Anyway, while I was reading your post it really reminded me of a very good nature study book that you might find useful - The Laws Guide to Nature Study and Journaling.  There is a lot of practical information about things like how to deal with moving animals, what to have in your pack, how to count a flock of birds, etc.  But also quite a lot on using nature journaling as a way to knowing in  both a deeper and even in a more analytical way.  It talks about how to use what you are seeing to ask questions - "why are all the ducks facing the same way" - how to test possible explanations, how to record things in a way that allows you to collate information, show movement and time, plus lots and lots about drawing.

Edited by Bluegoat
  • Like 1

Nature study: being physically present outside, using your all senses to observe elements of the ecosystem. I agree with Aethelthryth that one part of nature study is skills training in being observant, focusing closely on small details, and sketching from life. I speculate that another important aspect of is being immersed in a non-human-centered environment, the peacefulness that comes with being away from clocks, cars, hustle and bustle. My understanding is that Mason's students extended their learning by painting watercolors of their sketches and reading.  But I'd lie to posit here that the nature walks, the being physically present in nature, is crucial to nature study.

I'm very interested to hear what everyone else thinks, especially what it might look like for high school. Dd14 loves to draw, but not from nature - she unceremoniously rejected the Laws Guide to Nature Drawing and Journaling when I produced it as part of Build Your Library 10 this year.

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 6:20 PM, Bluegoat said:

Yeah, you are thinking along the same lines as me, I think it has to be involved in actually interacting in some way with nature.

So, not quite like reading Fabre, say, which is reading about him doing nature study.  Very valuable, and related, but not the same.  And maybe not quite the same as natural history either, which again is a bit more removed or abstracted.

I really like what you said about drawing - I agree, I think that s what drawing and sketching, reproducing images, is about - it's about knowing things in an almost contemplative and intimate way.  And importantly, knowing in a very physically oriented way - our society is very inclined to abstract information away from it's material basis - which is weird given how obsessed with "science" as the ultimate reality we are.  I think this form of contemplative attention to the physical , compared to an abstract analytical approach to learning about a thing, is comparable to prayer or the Eucharist as a way to experience God rather than studying theology.  Mystic experience over rational apprehension.  Of course, really, the two things are not so separate in the end, you can't have real knowing without the experience.

Anyway, while I was reading your post it really reminded me of a very good nature study book that you might find useful - The Laws Guide to Nature Study and Journaling.  There is a lot of practical information about things like how to deal with moving animals, what to have in your pack, how to count a flock of birds, etc.  But also quite a lot on using nature journaling as a way to knowing in  both a deeper and even in a more analytical way.  It talks about how to use what you are seeing to ask questions - "why are all the ducks facing the same way" - how to test possible explanations, how to record things in a way that allows you to collate information, show movement and time, plus lots and lots about drawing.

Yes! You said this so much more eloquently than me. There is a meditative quality to nature study. I think using all your senses (especially through drawing, for example) provides vital grounding for the experience. 

We were posting at the same time yesterday. It made me laugh that you recommended Law's Guide just as I was saying DD rejected it. I learned about it from BYL 10. Are there other good nature drawing resources out there for high school?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Yes. ITA. 

My oldest dd prefers to photograph nature than to draw it at this point. A year or two ago some friends who were cleaning out their closets gave her their DSLR camera that was gathering dust- it was a very nice gift and perfect for her- it was a nice entry set up with a couple of lenses, but not overwhelmingly technical. She watched a bunch of photography videos online, started playing around, and then took a photography class in Houston last summer. Then it was off to the races. She's on Twitter and follows some photographers on there and posts some of the pictures she takes. She is a shy kid and would never post her own art work, much less a selfie, LOL, but she loves posting the pictures she takes of birds, or our chickens or the moon- she's gotten some crack shots of the moon this past year. I think photography and art have strengthened each other well for her- sort of honing one another's skills. We have two bald eagles hanging out around our property lately (I had no idea bald eagles even lived in Texas and thought the kids were pulling my leg at first) and now it's her goal to get a good shot of them, but so far it's never worked out. I think she'd have to wear her camera 24/7. They're sneaky eagles! 

Anyway, maybe just an idea for your dd apart from sketching down the road if she's interested? 

I like this idea. DD has a birthday in late Spring, and might like a camera.