Menu

Reading Happy Dance!

I will just say my experience..... this is great, great, great for blending, but it starts to move way too fast at a certain point.  But she can take her blending skill into another program if it does get too fast.  

Just to say, if that happens, it’s okay, she will still have gotten so much out of it 🙂

• Like 2

My younger son did Reading Mastery for a while (about a year) and it is kind-of the same program.  But there are a lot of options for either repeating lessons, adding in optional lessons, or skipping lessons in Reading Mastery.  In 100 EZ  Lessons it is kind-of a faster version because it doesn’t have a lot of extra optional lessons.  

Anyway — I think it is great, so glad your daughter is doing well with it!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lecka said:

I will just say my experience..... this is great, great, great for blending, but it starts to move way too fast at a certain point.  But she can take her blending skill into another program if it does get too fast.  

Just to say, if that happens, it’s okay, she will still have gotten so much out of it 🙂

That's good to know. 
I do have the 1st Explode the Code, so when it starts to get too fast for her, we'll take a break and go back to review. Today was a great day. Two days ago, she couldn't remember half the sounds. lol (Seems to be typical from what I'm reading, so we just keep pushing on.) 

• Like 2

Is that Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons? It looks like it to me, but I could be wrong, as it's been many years since I used it.

I used that with all of my children, and it worked for three, but not my daughter with dyslexia. She could do each lesson on it's own, but she did not retain, so the later lessons became frustrating. It was not multisensory enough.

I hope it keeps working for her!! But just keep a watch out for a plateau. And you could add multisensory practice in.

It's so exciting to see progress happening!! Hooray!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lecka said:

My younger son did Reading Mastery for a while (about a year) and it is kind-of the same program.  But there are a lot of options for either repeating lessons, adding in optional lessons, or skipping lessons in Reading Mastery.  In 100 EZ  Lessons it is kind-of a faster version because it doesn’t have a lot of extra optional lessons.  

Anyway — I think it is great, so glad your daughter is doing well with it!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Thanks! I'll look at that. We do go back and review the sounds sometimes, like the other day when she couldn't remember anything, but having optional lessons and stuff would be great. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

Is that Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons? It looks like it to me, but I could be wrong, as it's been many years since I used it.

I used that with all of my children, and it worked for three, but not my daughter with dyslexia. She could do each lesson on it's own, but she did not retain, so the later lessons became frustrating. It was not multisensory enough.

I hope it keeps working for her!! But just keep a watch out for a plateau. And you could add multisensory practice in.

It's so exciting to see progress happening!! Hooray!!

Yes it is.
I wasn't totally sold on it, but a ton of moms in my FB group for homeschooling w/auditory processing disorder recommended it. However, it does seem to be one of those where it either works great or it doesn't work at all. 

And thanks! 

• Like 3

I think there is probably better stuff out there than Reading Mastery to be honest.  

The way it teaches blending is great (especially when it works lololol).  I really like it.

You get that in 100 EZ Lessons.

The reason my son did Reading Mastery was because it can be used with really easily with an autism therapy because it has a lot of cueing built into it.  

I think it is good, but I wouldn’t say to think you want it because you like 100 EZ Lessons.  It’s not like that, unfortunately.  

• Like 1

Just a review idea — we made big flashcards with the practice words and letters, with the dots underneath and the arrow.  

It is easier than flipping through the book.  

In general with review when kids aren’t remembering — start with a small number and work on those, and then do another small number, while occasionally reviewing earlier things.  If a lot of things start being forgotten, slow down and review more. 

That is not always the way to go, but it can be good.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Lecka said:

Just a review idea — we made big flashcards with the practice words and letters, with the dots underneath and the arrow.  

In general with review when kids aren’t remembering — start with a small number and work on those, and then do another small number, while occasionally reviewing earlier things.  If a lot of things start being forgotten, slow down and review more. 

Congratulations, great news!

I like this idea for review, you can use Don Potter's ready made cards to go along with Blend Phonics.  

http://www.donpotter.net/pdf/blend_phonics_spelling.pdf

• Like 2

On 2/8/2019 at 6:00 PM, Lecka said:

That's a fabulous idea! Thank you! 

• Like 1