Menu

What's with the ads?

summerreading

Videotext issues with module D

Are they any VT users still out there? Ds is saying that some of the steps for the problems are not mentioned in the video only in the example. Ok I said make sure to pay close attention to the example. But this last time the missing step was shown in the next lesson's video. He spent a long time trying to figure it out. 

Is this going to be an ongoing issue with modules E and F? He likes it otherwise. But if you switched at this point, what did you go to and how did it work? 

Edited by summerreading

I hope it isn't a problem with the later modules.  My boys are really enjoying and doing well with this program.  I would contact them, let them know, and see what they say.  Adam Lawyer at VideoText has been very responsive to me with any questions or concerns.

14 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

I hope it isn't a problem with the later modules.  My boys are really enjoying and doing well with this program.  I would contact them, let them know, and see what they say.  Adam Lawyer at VideoText has been very responsive to me with any questions or concerns.

I do plan on writing them if it keeps happening. I will update if I do. 

• Like 1

We've been through VT 3 times and I don't really remember anything like that really tripping us up. I do remember sometimes that they have had to look at the examples in the worktext to figure something out that wasn't explicitly stated in the video.

Do you watch the videos with them? Sometimes my kids have insisted they didn't know how to do something but because I was watching the videos with them I knew they had all the info they needed and could complete the problems with just a little extra thinking. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Momto5inIN said:

We've been through VT 3 times and I don't really remember anything like that really tripping us up. I do remember sometimes that they have had to look at the examples in the worktext to figure something out that wasn't explicitly stated in the video.

Do you watch the videos with them? Sometimes my kids have insisted they didn't know how to do something but because I was watching the videos with them I knew they had all the info they needed and could complete the problems with just a little extra thinking. 

No, I don't watch with him. I am thinking maybe he is just missing picking up on something like you said. Thanks. Good to know you've been through it 3 times without issues.

Did you also use their Geometry?

1 hour ago, summerreading said:

No, I don't watch with him. I am thinking maybe he is just missing picking up on something like you said. Thanks. Good to know you've been through it 3 times without issues.

Did you also use their Geometry?

Yes and while I like many aspects of it and it's a good program I don't recommend it quite as heartily as I do the Algebra.

Pros: GREAT at presenting concepts (I love Tom Clark) and very rigorous as far as proofs go

Cons: It takes for.ev.er to get through it even though I don't have them do nearly as many proofs as are in the worktext

This 3rd time through VT Geometry will be the first time that VT has actually had the trig units available. So with the 1st 2 kids they had to do a separate precalc program after Geometry - and I think I actually like that better because most of them typically cover functions more completely than VT and they get more practice with both Alg and Geom concepts. So I might have my 3rd not do the trig portions of VT and go on to Chalkdust for precalc like my 1st 2 kids did. We'll see ... she's still finishing up the Alg so it will be a while before we get to that point with her.

• Like 1

We are using VT algebra and just started Module D recently. We finished lesson 5 and haven't had any hiccups yet. I do watch the videos with them and once in a while we'll watch it twice. Not sure which lesson you're on, but wanted to let you know we're using it, too.

• Like 2