Menu

Online US History class for high school?

Open Tent Academy - look for instructor Jonathan Meola. He uses a lot of videos in his instruction. My neurotypical DD is in his class on US History from Reconstruction to the present. She gets a little bored watching all the videos but I know for sure he likes to use videos in his classes. (His background is in film studies, I believe...I think I read that in his instructor profile.) If you sign up your daughter for the US History course that uses Joy Hakim books, you can get them as audiobooks. That's what I did for my kiddo - although I did that more for expediency than for reading support. She listens to the audiobooks when she goes for walks in the afternoon so she gets in her P.E. while doing her history reading!

Good luck with your search!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, 2Peanuts said:

Open Tent Academy - look for instructor Jonathan Meola. He uses a lot of videos in his instruction. My neurotypical DD is in his class on US History from Reconstruction to the present. She gets a little bored watching all the videos but I know for sure he likes to use videos in his classes. (His background is in film studies, I believe...I think I read that in his instructor profile.) If you sign up your daughter for the US History course that uses Joy Hakim books, you can get them as audiobooks. That's what I did for my kiddo - although I did that more for expediency than for reading support. She listens to the audiobooks when she goes for walks in the afternoon so she gets in her P.E. while doing her history reading!

Good luck with your search!

That sounds great, I'll check it out. Thank you!!

• 2 weeks later...

You also may want to look at Online G3. Since they tend to have younger, gifted students, they tend to minimize written output, and they have a class using the Hakim books. 

• 2 weeks later...

I do not know how Big HIstory Project is but it was free (or at least part of it is free) so I bookmarked it for later.

https://school.bighistoryproject.com/bhplive?WT.mc_id=07_01_2016_CampaignJuly16_WebLink_1C_bhpfb&WT.tsrc=BHPFacebook#register

These are more supplemental, but I also suggest the following video series on you-tube...

Crash Course World History (good for a brief overview)

Extra Credits History (search for Extra credits chronological on YouTube and you'll find a chronological list.  It's not attempting to cover everything but what it does cover it covers excellently).

TedEd - Also has great short history videos...not as deep as Extra Credits or as wide as Crash Course, but great to add in.   I'm working on putting these in chronological order as I haven't found a list so far. 

If she likes listening to audio books and podcasts I suggest...

The History of Rome:  https://thehistoryofrome.typepad.com/the_history_of_rome/archives.html  (It's very thorough and interesting, and it's in order so could be used as a spine for Roman history)

Stuff You Missed in History Class, Throughline (shows how history effects today), and More Perfect (history of Surpreme Court cases) are all excellent too, but not in any particular order.  All of those (well, maybe not Throughline...I've just started that one) have occasional swear words and such, but are worthwhile anyways.  The episode I suggest for EVERYONE from More Perfect is Kittens Kick The Giggly Blue Robot All Summer (which is about how the surpreme court became what it is today and why that's important.)   It has a Mnemonic song at the end (thus the name) which is meant to help people remember the surpreme court members names, which can be skip cause it's outdated and has a totally unnecessary swear word in it. 

Edited by goldenecho
  • Like 1