Menu

The not ready to plan next year thread :)

Considering dominant theme on the various boards is "what are you planning next yr," I though I'd start one for those of us who are just aren't ready to do that yet. I'll start thinking about next yr in April when we are in wrapping up mode vs trudging through the deep end mode.

Anyone else just plugging along trying to get through today? 🙂We have a lot going on in our lives plus a ds who is getting married in May (and I have got to start finalizing those plans.) Thinking about next yr is a tempting distraction, but I know that I have to put on my blinders so that I will stay mentally present in the here and now (bc I could so easily check out and fantasize about something new.)

So, 11th, 7th, and 3rd are my focus today. 11th, 7th, and 3rd are my focus today. 11th, 7th, and 3rd are my focus today. 11th, 7th, and 3rd are my focus today. 11th, 7th, and 3rd are my focus today. 11th, 7th, and 3rd are my focus today.......

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Can I just pretend that next year is not coming until... a year from now? 😁 I have enough trouble getting through today and thinking about summer camp without having all this extra stuff in my brain space.

I have a decent amount of do the next thing material, but I will have to address science at some point. Bleh.

• Like 2

I participated, but there are too many what ifs I can't know yet, so I can't really plan. And I have no idea what I will do for my ker. My problem with her is too many options that my brain hurts. My first time using, money was more of an obstacle, I didn't know any homeschooling groups to choose from, and I hadn't collected every curriculum under the sun. And I had more time on my hands to make rhings. So I can't just say do what I did before. Made things much simpler back then. 

I am trying not to think about next year.  Oldest will probably go to a b&m school.  Youngest might go or might have another year or two at home.  We have to wait for the school lottery drawings to know their options.   In the meantime, youngest is down with a flu-like bug and the rest of us aren't feeling all that great. 

Ehhh, well, planning in February used to be a fun distraction, but the problem is no matter how lovely the plan looks on paper, we still have to actually do it some day.  (I am a slow learner, lol.)  Anyway, I keep a spreadsheet for each child of what we did each year and what might be nice to do next year, and occasionally I open it and make a few notes or list something I might want to check out in the spring.  But no real planning right now.  Plus our local highschool UMS won't put its schedule out until April and I'd rather use it than online resources for outsourcing a couple things.  

• Like 2

Me. I'm usually completely ready around this time of year to start figuring out next. But this year.....not at all. I even tried to get into it yesterday after seeing the threads but I just couldn't get myself to care about next year yet. I feel like I have so much on my plate right now so my focus is just on getting through the now, not adding more. 

I don't plan until  the end of August.  But that's because I don't need to plan.  I know what high school classes are needed.  I know what books have worked well in the past and are likely to work well in the future.  If they don't, then we will change to something else (and you will see a panicked post on the high school board). 

31 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Congrats on the upcoming wedding! 

I would happily defer as well, except that people keep insisting on online registration starting in less than two weeks for outsourced classes and the homeschool convention comes early and not in the summer anymore. It came up so fast this year. I thought I had plenty of time and now I feel like I only have days to decide on outsourcing. BOO. I know the providers have to plan for the fall and that's why they are doing this so early, but I really wish they could wait until at least April or May for registration. Of course I can wait until then, but our preferred time slots are usually gone, if there are any left period. 

High school I can understand due to registration. 1st grade? Not so much. 🙂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Congrats on the upcoming wedding! 

I would happily defer as well, except that people keep insisting on online registration starting in less than two weeks for outsourced classes and the homeschool convention comes early and not in the summer anymore. It came up so fast this year. I thought I had plenty of time and now I feel like I only have days to decide on outsourcing. BOO. I know the providers have to plan for the fall and that's why they are doing this so early, but I really wish they could wait until at least April or May for registration. Of course I can wait until then, but our preferred time slots are usually gone, if there are any left period. 

Wow, the main reason I can't plan a lot is because CC classes aren't even posted until April for the fall semester. But you have to register for homeschool online classes now? That's crazy early! 

I'm usually in full planning mode by now too. In fact, I was already on it, because I HAVE A HIGH SCHOOLER NEXT YEAR! 😲

But then we decided she should apply to our county's early college program and everything came to a screeching halt. We won't know until May if she gets in, and even if she does, she might decide to stick with homeschooling, but I hate to put too much energy into (and get myself excited about) something that won't happen.

So, for now... we wait.

1 minute ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Oh my word?!?! I had no idea. Hope everything is okay! 

Her scoliosis went from, "We'll watch it" to "Holy heck!" in less than a year. She had surgery in mid-December; that's why she's missed a number of classes. She is progressing well, but having one's spine and spinal cord moved around is...yucky. 🙁

• Sad 4

Yesss. Mainly because I refuse to acknowledge that I'll have TWO middle schoolers next year (6th & 8th).

I do so love to plan...but the shine is wearing off. Especially since I feel like I plan and plan and pick the *best* possible options...and it all goes to pot and my kid ends up doing some random textbook or whathaveyou. All that time I spent agonizing over math (settling on Mr.D) -- the kid is doing TT7. And completely content with it.

I suppose I should just be happy that something is getting done, but I don't know that advance planning is a good use of my time. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I would happily defer as well, except that people keep insisting on online registration starting in less than two weeks for outsourced classes and the homeschool convention comes early and not in the summer anymore. 

I have to semi-plan for summer B&M classes but my kids favorite provider has lots of classrooms so they can easily squeeze my kids in last minute and use a bigger classroom.

The online classes my kids might take in 2019/20 doesn’t need early registration so it’s not as stressful as last year and the year before when we signed up for PAH classes once registration opens.

I am waiting to see what works for DS14 for 9th grade to plan for DS13. They don’t use the same courses for everything but the experience from DS14 is still useful. 

Last semester was a mess - DD had surgery, had a long recovery, then I had surgery, had a long recovery, then the holidays.

We are in a good place right now with school ::knockonwood::

But I'm like @alisoncooks. I love the planning part, but nothing ever goes the way I plan. I spend so much researching and looking at samples, but then it doesn't work out for whatever reason.  And I'll also have 2 middle schoolers next year, so if I push off planning for that, maybe it won't actually happen.

Edited by scbusf
  • Like 1

Our new school year starts on Monday.  So far I have the first chapter of Wordsmith Apprentice printed out and the clock chapter from MM3A we sort of missed.  I also know where our spine book for ancients plus a couple of workbooks we didn't finish for logic and science.  That is my entire planning.  The. Summer has been long,hot and exhausting and we now have fires.