Menu

What's with the ads?

Paradox5

2019-2020 My Child Doesn't Fit Into a Grade Planning Thread

This seemed popular last year so here it is again!

Honestly, except for math (TT) I haven't a clue what I'm doing with the kids. We need to work on writing.

So what do you have planned for your kidlets?

• Thanks 1

For my 2nd/3rd grader:

Bible: Complete Illustrated Children's Bible
video portions of L+L's history track that correspond with our Bible studies
personal devotional + using the Bible app for kids
JellyTelly

English/Language Arts: a combination of Brave Writer & Writing With Ease
Evan-Moor's Daily Language Review
possibly adding in some Grammaropolis

Reading: read alouds
assigned reading (at & above grade level)
free reading

Phonics & Spelling: Nessy
Apples & Pears

Math: Acellus
Teaching Textbooks
Funschooling Minecraft Math Mysteries journal

Science: Acellus
L+L's science track
nature study

Social Studies/History/Cultural Studies: Acellus Social Studies
BFB Around the World With Picture Books + Give Your Child the World

Art: guided watercoloring using Color Dynamics, Paint This Book!, and Watercolor With Me In the Forest

Music: piano & drum lessons

Memory: L+L
working on memorizing important information

We'll also be using Simply Charlotte Mason's Laying Down the Rails to cultivate a few habits each.

My preschooler will just be living life and learning through play and being a crazy little wildling. He is learning letters, colors, numbers, shapes, that sort of thing through LeapFrog videos, StoryBots, and other like shows/films.

• Like 2

I already posted in the 3rd grade thread  but she really fits in here better. She will be 2nd/3rd grade age (her birthday is either right before or right after the cut-off for local schools depending on the district) but her work level is all over the place from at/close to middle school level for math and science and 1st for writing. I also suspect she has stealth dyslexia and ADHD. I tentatively have planned:

Math: Keep rolling with Singapore most likely wrapping up 4b and moving on from there as she needs, Prodigy, and games to keep facts fresh

LA: Keep plugging along with AAR and AAS (probably wrapping up 3 and making a good dent in 4 for the former and finishing up 2 and starting 3 with the former), Bravewriter Partnership Writing, readings to go along with history and geography, HWOT, Growing with Grammar 3, and possibly Writing & Rhetoric Fables

Science: Ellen McHenry The Elements, classes at the local zoo and natural history museum, Mystery Science, and interest led activities

History: SOTW 3 with activity book  Geography:

BYL 0 with her little brother

Music, art, and PE: local classes

• Like 2

Ok. I think I have settled on Moving Beyond the Page 8-10 for my crew. They are all barely beginning to write paragraphs with a LOT of help from me and can (but hate to) write answers to questions. I just ordered the first concept to give it a try. I hope we like it.

Did not make it past the first day. Just no. See my last post for the update.

Edited by Paradox5
spelling errors plague me
  • Like 1

This is always my favorite planning thread. 🙂

We'll probably start our new year's term around late June/early July after the June camps and other things when it is too hot to do much else. Kids are 6 and 7, but will have a bday at the end of summer turning 7 and 8 as we hit fall. 

Ds7 (2nd/3rd gradish) 

Bible- Continuing with VeritasBible.com, Bible memory work, Egermier's and other children's story Bibles and regular Scripture reading. Ds has started to read aloud to us during Morning Meeting from the Beginner's Bible a few times a week as stealth reading practice on Mom's part. 

Math- we seem to be going well with a combo of MUS (multiple levels at a time rotating constantly) and Horizons at the moment. Hoping that keeps working and we will just keep working through new concepts like fractions, decimals and division. I am hoping to be done with hard core math fact drill (except division) with him by some point this summer. Nothing new to buy, and plenty left on the shelf, so yay! 

LA- Abeka 2 Phonics and Cursive, level appropriate readers, and copywork. Still chewing on what to do (if anything) with Grammar and Spelling- may have to post about that soon. 

Literature- All planned as read alouds right now: AO Year 1 and 2 selections, Picture books from Galloping the Globe (fairy tales etc.), Memoria Press's Third Grade Read Aloud Picture Books, and some TBD read aloud chapter books. I feel like SL robbed us of picture books this year (Usborne doesn't count), and my #1 homeschool resolution for now and through next year is to bring back picture books. 

Lit for him to read-- I have no clue what he'll be reading by that point, so not sure what "Lit" he would be able to handle on his own. Right now he's still at Elephant and Piggy level so I'm not worrying about that yet. 

History/Geography- I had crossed VP Self Paced History off the list because of the time commitment,  but then this week ds and dd6 offered to pay for it with their own money, so I am not sure there. At a minimum we'll do some AO stuff, but now back on the fence on the VP due to their exuberance level. I wish we could do a two week trial like we did with Veritas Bible or something instead of just a couple of lessons. I may just buy it at convention and if it happens it happens. That line between self motivated interest and time commitments is confusing. 

I think I'm going back to some Galloping the Globe this year. If I'm not buying a couple of SL cores as usual, my book buying budget has increased radically and I think I'll enjoy GtG more not having to deal with libraries and getting things on hold, or finding that we couldn't get a lot of the books because our library is lousy.This time I'll just buy them and drop the busy work like coloring flags and workbook pages. 

Science-  I think I'm done attempting to formalize science for now. I'll buy the books as requested and they can just do what they want to do there by interests. 

Dd6- (2nd-ish but late with handwriting)

All of the above as for her brother except Math and Handwriting. 

Math- BJU 2

Handwriting- HWoT print and will probably not require the amount of copywork that I do from him. 

I think that should about round it out. 

• Like 2

On 2/8/2019 at 3:58 PM, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

This is always my favorite planning thread. 🙂

Yea! I'm glad to make you happy. 

• Like 1

I think I'll post here this year for dd now that she's officially been diagnosed with dysgraphia and dyscalculia.

Age-wise she will be going into 6th grade but I don't think she is on grade level for anything, lol.

Reading: the plan is pretty simple: read all the things! Her reading level and communication level is off the charts so she devours anything and everything.

Spelling: continue Sequential Spelling. I think she'll be ready for the 2nd book by then.

Grammar/Writing: continue working through EIW levels. I think she'll be well into level 4 by then.

Handwriting/Typing: no clue! We'll figure this out with her Dr.

Math: again, no clue. Some possibilities include combinations of Math Mammoth, Math U See, Learn Math Fast, Moby Max, and Kahn Academy. She is very delayed in math so again, we'll be getting some professional assistance here, too.

History and Science: interest led. This goes well with her "read all the things" style. 

Other: piano, swimming, sewing, art all are outside classes. She loves all of them and this feeds her high social needs and her need to be busy busy busy. Also weekly Homeschool PE, monthly playdate, and monthly field trip. We dropped piano and PE this year and she misses them very much.

Whew, she wears me out! Lol! 😂

• Like 2

Our year runs approximately June/July - March/April. Plans for DS6 are: 

Language Arts: Killgallon Story Grammar, CAP W&R Fable, cont. MCT Practice Island sentences, something for spelling... (AAS? SWR?), NaNoWriMo

Math: Beast Academy 3C - whatever he gets to. We may or may not alternate with Singapore IP. 

History: History Odyssey Middle Ages

Science: Real Science Odyssey Astronomy 

PE: Cont. Tennis & Soccer

Art: Misc. history- / science- / math-inspired projects. Maybe a couple of Meet the Masters units that fit the time period. 

• Like 1

Hmm, I think this might be a good thread for Ds9.

Despite being 9 in January, I have him in grade 2, which seems to be the best fir for him, especially in terms of reading level.  But it still doesn't quite fit.  Anyway, next year he'll be in grade 3.

For math I think we will carry on with Mathmammoth. I feel like in a way he could be working at a higher level with this, but on the other hand he has a really low frustration level with any academic work.  So - we'll see.  Right now he is using 1B, but I am not in a rush.

LA - we've beed using HWWT, which he really likes, and also the Queen Homeschool LA program.  I think I may carry on with that, the copywork right now seems to be really paying off for him in terms of his reading, spelling, etc, without the frustration that other types of programs create.

Science/History/Art/Literature - I am not sure.  I may use OUr Island Story, and CHOW.  He loves stoies and he is good at narrations so that is very doable.

Music: choir and pipe drum band

Sports: I am not sure - he wants to do rugby this summer which is great as it is located two blocks from our house.  I think he needs something else for next school year, and there is no rugby past August.  But he seems to really want to do fitness related things.

Edited by Bluegoat
  • Like 3

On 2/6/2019 at 11:09 PM, Paradox5 said:

This seemed popular last year so here it is again!

Honestly, except for math (TT) I haven't a clue what I'm doing with the kids. We need to work on writing.

So what do you have planned for your kidlets?

Yeah, see, I didn't plan things because of my children's "grades." I planned because of how old they were and what I thought they needed to know. 🙂

• Confused 3

My daughter will be turning 11 shortly into the school year. She's going to be a 6th grader, but a pretty young one. She's dyslexic so we've been really focused on catching her up in reading and spelling the last couple of years. Because of that, we've not really covered any history outside of some (very few) documentaries and short youtube videos. Science has been kind of spotty but she still seems to know quite a bit. We are a sciency (is that a word?) family and things just sort of get picked up. That said, I'm really hoping to have time to do World History and Biology with her this coming year, but I really need to focus on writing (she's behind) and continue with our dyslexia tutoring so those things might continue to be on hold until we can bring her up to speed skill wise.  

So 5th/6th

Barton Level 8 (I think we will be there as we are about halfway through 7 now, but level 9 would be fantastic)

Essentials in Writing 5/6 (we are starting this now and plan to continue through the summer so when we finish this next year, we'll just continue on)

Beast Academy 5B-5? (I'm not in a hurry to finish this because I'm not sure she'll be ready to tackle AoPS pre-algebra and I really like that text...having worked through it with my oldest)

And if we can fit it: Oak Meadow Biology and World History (but this feels like a stretch)

Edited by zarabellesmom
  • Like 2

Ok-- I think I have figured it out for all the kids. I convinced Son 4 to the value of following the plan below. Mostly, it is going to come from MP 4th for New Users.

Math: Boys- Teaching Textbooks 7 and DD- R&S 3 (don't ask) plus get those pesky facts memorized!

Writing: CAP Fable (cause I hate Classical Comp., and we have done WWE 1-3!! We need something different before we rake our eyeballs out!)

Gram: MP English Grammar Recitation 1/Core Skills Lang. Arts 4

Spell: Bought AAS and returned SWO

Roots-Based Vocab: MP has so much vocab that I think we can skip this. It also seems like such a waste of time.

Lit: MP 4th grade Lit/Poetry

Reading: Read-Alouds (as an assigned reading list)

Classics: MP Greek Myths

Geog: MP States and Capitals

Science: MP Mammal for DD, Son 2: MP Tiner Planet Earth/Astronomy, Son 3: Hakim's A History of Science, too.

WHEW! Took me forever to get this going this year.

Captain will have his usual interest led Toddler and Mommy Time daily where we read, color, and work like mad on those speech skills.

Edited by Paradox5
Changes!! And MORE Changes!! AND more changes!
  • Like 2

This is my 11 year-old, who I let skip a grade last year, officially.  She would be in 6th this fall, but we are calling her an early 7th grader.  She will not be a super-advanced 7th grader - compared to some others on these forums, but she takes a class with traditionally-schooled kids her age who are using her paper to cheat off of in class (long story - sigh)....so I'm assuming she's at least "at grade level" compared to the public schools here.  LoL.

Over this spring/summer, she is mostly combined with her older teen siblings:

• Physical Education (combined)
  • Home Economics (combined)
  • Fantasy Literature -putting this together myself (combined)
  • Finish Life of Fred Fractions
  • One more Bravewriter Arrow book

Here's her fall semester.  I'm not sure what we're doing in the spring, yet.  She won't be combined with her teen siblings this fall.

• Life of Fred Decimals and Percents
  • Hands-on Equations
  • Bravewriter - a mixture of the Arrow and Boomerang issues
  • Wordsmith Apprentice
  • RS4K Middle School Astronomy + Lab Workbook
  • Along Came Galileo
  • Story of the World 2
  • Possibly Time Traveler's Medieval Times (I'm still trying to convince myself it's worth it - it really looks like a lot of work)
  • Knights and Armor Coloring Book - Long story, but this kid seems to be missing the right part of her brain and we're trying to build up that and her fine motor skills
  • Readers to go with SOTW2
  • Chess Strategy book + chess set
  • Continue violin
  • Continue ballet and possibly adding in theater

• Like 2

On 2/15/2019 at 9:47 AM, Ellie said:

Yeah, see, I didn't plan things because of my children's "grades." I planned because of how old they were and what I thought they needed to know. 🙂

Eh, some of us with 2E kids or kids with learning issues feel strange posting on the grade level threads.  That's why my post came with a big explanation.  My dd11 has never been tested, but I suspect she is 2E - gifted with possibly a speech delay or dyslexia.  She almost died when she was born - she had a prolapsed umbilical cord and her heart was slowing to nothing - so I was worried she might have some issues later.  And, she does.  She has some vision problems and like I said, possibly dyslexia or a speech delay.  Whatever it is - it's really mild.  So far, I'm the only one who has been able to tell and that's only because I work with her.  If she went to school, I could've gotten her evaluated, but then she'd be at school.  And I know I can work with her better than they could.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2019 at 8:41 AM, Bluegoat said:

I may use Our Island Story, and CHOW.

Wee Girl and Middle Girl loved CHOW at that age. Do you have the Workbook for it? I'm not usually a big fan of workbooks that accompany narrative texts, but this one is full of activities that they loved. And the "fill in the blanks" make-an-outline approach was surprisingly successful in helping MG gently learn how to take notes in later years.

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Violet Crown said:

Wee Girl and Middle Girl loved CHOW at that age. Do you have the Workbook for it? I'm not usually a big fan of workbooks that accompany narrative texts, but this one is full of activities that they loved. And the "fill in the blanks" make-an-outline approach was surprisingly successful in helping MG gently learn how to take notes in later years.

Is CHOW very religious? I don’t know a thing about it.

For my DD in 3rd grade, I think I have math sorted, and will do Galore Park again for English along with something else TBD, but I have no idea what to do for history or science. 

7 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

It is not. It's been updated so many times since the original version Hillyer wrote that it's pretty anodyne. I would recommend, though, if buying used, getting a recent edition.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Violet Crown said:

I haven't used the workbook in the past, though I've looked at it.  I could never decide if it was worth it.

I might get it though, if you like it - it's always much better to have a recommendation I find.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2019 at 2:01 PM, madteaparty said:

For my DD in 3rd grade, I think I have math sorted, and will do Galore Park again for English along with something else TBD, but I have no idea what to do for history or science. 

Where do you buy galore Park? I looked on book depository.co.uk but it said sold out. 

Be aware there is no answer key for the CHOW workbook. I thought when Calvert made the big switch they discontinued CHOW.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Where do you buy galore Park? I looked on book depository.co.uk but it said sold out. 

That's where I last bought it--but there has been a change in the curriculum so maybe they don;t stock it anymore? I ordered a few months ago when I first realised the change and it is packed away for now (she's still in school).

Technically DD6 will be entering 1st grade this fall.

Thinking Explode the Code online and have her read lots of books. Have me and DH do read alouds with her plus audiobooks.

The read alouds will be literature, history, science and any other books of interest. I prefer a literature based curriculum here. We use the library for a lot of it.

Math is tricky. I'm trying to figure out the best thing for her. She likes Horizon Math but I want something to challenge her. She is happy only spending a couple minutes on one lesson. I rarely have to teach a new concept she just gets it. I'm worried if I advance her in math she won't have a strong foundation in the basics. I am looking at multiple things to rotate in and out.

Using Abeka for cursive writing and she likes it so we will keep it.

Field trips to Nature Center, Science Center, Zoo, different museums, parks and so on.

Homeschool Co-op

DH will do science experiments, nature walks and teach her about her local environment.

Family bike rides and swimming during good weather. 

On 2/27/2019 at 11:42 PM, Paradox5 said:

Ok-- I think I have figured it out for all the kids. I convinced Son 4 to the value of following the plan below. Mostly, it is going to come from MP 4th for New Users.

Math: Teaching Textbooks 7 and 5 plus get those pesky facts memorized!

Writing: CAP Fable (cause I hate Classical Comp., and we have done WWE 1-3!! We need something different before we rake our eyeballs out!)

Gram: MP English Grammar Recitation 1/Core Skills Lang. Arts 4

Spell: SWO E using MP plans (DD only) I am considering AAS because she never had phonics and is an uneven speller. She can spell some big words like 'eventually' but miss small words like 'talk'. Any other ideas welcome cause I have tried AAS so many times. We can never get past the first book. She has done: BJU, R&S, and SWO.

Roots-Based VocabMP has so much vocab that I think we can skip this. It also seems like such a waste of time.

Lit: MP 4th grade Lit/Poetry

Reading: Read-Alouds (as an assigned reading list)

Classics: MP Greek Myths

Geog: MP States and Capitals

Science: MP Mammal for DD and MP Tiner Planet Earth/Astronomy for the boys. I might add Hakim's A History of Science, too.

WHEW! Took me forever to get this going this year.

Captain will have his usual interest led Toddler and Mommy Time daily where we read, color, and work like mad on those speech skills.

I don’t know how old your DC are but we used both CAP Fable and MP Grammer Recitations and absolutely love them.

• Like 1

Thank you for the positive review, Milo. I am looking forward to them.

On 2/8/2019 at 1:27 PM, Paradox5 said:

Ok. I think I have settled on Moving Beyond the Page 8-10 for my crew. They are all barely beginning to write paragraphs with a LOT of help from me and can (but hate to) write answers to questions. I just ordered the first concept to give it a try. I hope we like it.

Did not make it past the first day. Just no. See my last post for the update.

What did you not like about Moving Beyond the Page? I'm thinking about using 7-9 Language Arts next year...

MBtP seemed too "young" but keep in mind, I was using it with kids much older than the suggested age range. For yours, it might be perfect. Go for it! I may try it for Captain in a few years.