Menu

National Parks or Nature Study Resources

We're heading off on a road trip next September! We'll hit Devil's Tower, Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Grand Canyon, Painted Desert, and Petrified Forest. 

After the normal school year is over, we're going to hit US Geography with some puzzles and games.

Does anyone have any resources they like for these parks or areas? The kids love books, they are 5 and 9. I'm also trying to pull together resources on the unique geography and history of the areas, the animals in them...

I'm not asking for anything specific, just trying to pull together resources so they have some context for what they're seeing when they see it. I do design units like this for them frequently, but I wanted to see if anyone had any cool resources on the national parks or their features before I got started. 

We went to Glacier last summer and i thought this one was cute, alittle too much info for my 7yo but it had a page for each animal , plant or site to see ,with  picture , then a description , where to find it in the park, and a place to record when and where you saw it, kind of set up like a nature journal sort of , wish we would have had it at the beginning of the trip instead of the end. 

What I saw in Glacier:A Kids guide to the National Park

20 hours ago, Dudley said:

We went to Glacier last summer and i thought this one was cute, alittle too much info for my 7yo but it had a page for each animal , plant or site to see ,with  picture , then a description , where to find it in the park, and a place to record when and where you saw it, kind of set up like a nature journal sort of , wish we would have had it at the beginning of the trip instead of the end. 

What I saw in Glacier:A Kids guide to the National Park

Those look awesome! They have 4 of our parks. My friend's 6 year old will really like looking at these because he's a huge wild animal lover.

3 hours ago, SeaConquest said:

Those look so cool; we can play them with our friends that are coming with us. The first one will help with geography too.

Edited by Sk8ermaiden
  • Like 1

I found Cynthia Light Brown, Geology of the Desert Southwest: Investigate how the Earth was formed with 15 projects useful with my middle schoolers for a similar trip. There are several books in the series; another one you might like is Geology of the Great Plains and Mountain West. The books have a lot of overlap in content. I particularly liked the descriptions of how the specific geology of each area developed.