Menu

Q for Dog People - Should I insist on appt or just wait & see?

Joker

So, my 20 lb corgi mix (from shelter not really sure) hasn't urinated in 14 hours. I took her in last week for diarrhea issues and they gave some meds and she's not had issues with that since. Yesterday, though she hacked up a giant hairball (never happened before!) and around 4am she vomited up a dark brown substance. She also hasn't gone to the bathroom since 10 pm last night. I spoke with vet's office - with a tech who said they spoke with the vet- and they said just to watch her for more vomiting and not to worry about the urination until later this afternoon. I have physically picked her up and taken her outside a few times but she won't do anything. She's just sleeping next to me on the couch which isn't unusual. When dh and I ate lunch at the table she was bouncing around us hoping for scraps so I think her appetite is fine. 

My biggest concern is when I took her in last week for the stomach issues they sent us home with several cans of Hill's canned food to help with the issues and I now see it has been recalled. She had 5 cans of it. The vet tech acted like it shouldn't be an issue with this stuff today but looking online it mentions kidney issues. So, should I be worried or just wait and see like they suggested. I was thinking of not waiting any later than 4pm on the bathroom stuff. 

I've been thinking about this, but I'm not sure what to say. Sometimes dogs--especially girl dogs--can hold their pee for a long time! I think it's probably okay to wait until this afternoon as long as she keeps acting otherwise normal. 

And, yes, as Pawz4me said, please keep us posted! 

• Like 3

Ok. Guess I'll just wait and see. She is still just sleeping next to me and hasn't gone - so about 16 hours now without urinating. I pulled out a small treat and she gobbled it up though so, yeah, appetite is fine. I feel like I can't trust my gut since we lost our 10 year old dog quickly (and horribly) right before the holidays. Part of me feels something is wrong but I may just be worried because of that. So, I'll wait a few more hours and hope she will finally go to the bathroom.  

I' definitely take her in this afternoon, even if you just sit and wait to be worked in. Ask them to check her urine, and maybe run bloodwork due to the issue with Hills food. If you can take a clean container out with you you can try to catch some urine to bring in, if she goes, but generally speaking, a dog that is in kidney failure won't act happy or normal or be eating. So maybe just dehydrated? Is she drinking?

Just now, Ktgrok said:

I' definitely take her in this afternoon, even if you just sit and wait to be worked in. Ask them to check her urine, and maybe run bloodwork due to the issue with Hills food. If you can take a clean container out with you you can try to catch some urine to bring in, if she goes, but generally speaking, a dog that is in kidney failure won't act happy or normal or be eating. So maybe just dehydrated? Is she drinking?

She's drinking normally. Never a big drinker but had water before bed (she sleeps in our room) and then drank when she came downstairs this morning. She hasn't had any more since she's just sleeping next to me but that's fairly normal for this time of day. Maybe she's had a little less today since she's been stuck next to me.

2 hours ago, MercyA said:

I've been thinking about this, but I'm not sure what to say. Sometimes dogs--especially girl dogs--can hold their pee for a long time! 

So can some very stubborn male dogs. Until they get to the vet and pee on the vet’s leg....

Take her in this afternoon.  A check will ease your mind.  

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 1

She really wanted to go in the car with us half an hour ago but I told her she had to go potty and she finally did! Maybe she's just being stubborn today for some reason or maybe she's still just trying to get over what she had last week. 

I'm gonna keep a close eye on her since she's back to just laying with me now that we're home. I think I'll mix some water with her food tonight because I don't know that she's drinking enough today. 

ETA: I woke up with some yucky respiratory thing today so have mostly camped out on the couch and maybe she's just enjoying that and not drinking enough or being her usual self. 

Edited by Joker
  • Like 2