Menu

Gifted kids and home schooling - questions

StaceyinLA

Does anyone have a book or website recommendation regarding home schooling a gifted child?

I posted on here about my granddaughter recently, thinking she might be on the spectrum, and the more reading and talking to her speech therapist my daughter has done, the more she is considering that she may be gifted. Obviously, she’s going to go into more depth to make sure it isn’t something on the spectrum, but, in the meantime, she’d like to do some reading about home schooling a child who is gifted.

Even if she does turn out to be on the spectrum, I think there is at least some aspect of gifted, based on what we’ve read, and what she knows/remembers. She’s extremely smart, and does like challenges in her learning. Granted, she’s only 5 1/2, but my daughter wants to get off on the right foot here, and would like some ideas.

I’d appreciate it if anyone has suggestions.

I will also add that the degree of giftedness matters as well.  I have a regular gifted student and a profoundly gifted student.  They are radically different is what they need.  Davidson Institute was a lifesaver for me when dealing with my PG kid.  They are geared more to students in school settings but there was still plenty enough information (and parents who could comisserate with me) to get me through.  

Lisa Rivero also speaks/writes on homeschooling gifted kids and I found her stuff helpful when I first got started.

• Like 3

On 2/6/2019 at 6:44 AM, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

First, I'd X-post on Accelerated and Learning Challenges if you think she's also on the spectrum, because not everyone from those boards comes here. There's an amazing host of info and wisdom there. 

You might try Coleen Kessler's website as a broad start if you're looking for something bloggish- Raising Lifelong Learners . I've seen her at conferences, and she's got some 2E kids and has some good perspective and input on the challenges with gifted kids, and some of the issues that can come along with that and how to cope. 

Colleen and I went to high school together. She is a good resource and very accessible. She really encouraged me to homeschool when I was uncertain about what to do with my gifted kiddo. She also writes for Prufrock, as I recall. Anyway, she has some FB groups, as well as her blog. If you have a PG kid, getting linked in with Davidson is probably your best bet.