Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

ScoutTN

9th Grade for 2019-2020!

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, arliemaria said:

What a neat opportunity for the Teen Glight program! Is this a national or just a local group?

It is a national program, but only at certain small airports so I think it can be challenging to find a chapter locally. Yes, we are lucky to have one near us!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DS14 will officially be a 9th grader next year (had toyed with the idea of sending him to private school as a 10th grader but decided against grade accelerating him at this point).  Classes next year:

Local academic co-op:  honors precalc, honors chemistry, Spanish II, honors engineering

PA Homeschoolers:  pre-AP literature

WTMA:  Medieval history, Rhetoric I

At home:  PE

Extracuriculars:  we recently moved to a new state and I need to get this non-sporty child involed in something.  With his love of aeronautics (he wants to be an aerospace engineer) I'm thinking some sort of robotics club or Civil Air Patrol.

Edited by Pink and Green Mom
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm getting a late start because dd was considering an early college program but ultimately decided against it. I'm kind of glad -- I was going to miss her!

Here's what we have so far:

English Lit & Comp -- homegrown reading list still in progress, with The Elegant Essay and Windows to the World 

Math -- Saxon Advanced Math at local co-op

Science -- Novare Chemistry, hopefully with a lab intensive, probably next summer

History -- not a flipping clue! Haven't found a single thing I like, and dreading the thought of a history survey class after two rounds through the history cycle. Thinking we will do something interest-led, but so far haven't come up with anything. Definitely will have a focus on writing

Electives -- still deciding but leaning towards Apologetics, Violin I, PE/Health, possibly Career Exploration, still considering others

Extracurriculars -- violin and competitive crew

We are holding off on foreign language for now. I'd like for her to DE it, but our local CC only offers Arabic and Spanish, and only two levels of each. I'm hoping that will be enough to fulfill her degree requirements, because she isn't really into languages, but I'm a bit nervous that two years won't be enough.

Thinking we will put history, science, and most electives on a block schedule so we can focus on fewer things at a time. Thankful I don't have to teach math at least, but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed at all the other stuff!!

Edited by PeachyDoodle
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2019 at 8:10 PM, ScoutTN said:

Ok, I am slowly getting used to the idea that my firstborn will be a high school student next year. How did we get here so fast?! 

Dd is a good student who loves literature, creative writing, and languages, but can also do math. She is not an organized kid, so I know we need to work more on study skills and executive function things. Some of it is hormonal brain fog, for sure. She has a heavy load this year and is frustrated with not enough free time/down time, so we are dialing it back some next year, fewer classes and some less-intense choices.

Here is our tentative plan

Math -  Geometry at local tutorial with the Glencoe textbook. (Not thrilled with this choice, but we cannot afford an online class this year. Sad to not be doing Jurgensen at WHA!  Much less concerned about this now that I have spoken with the teacher. She is thoroughly capable and experienced.)

English - mom-made, mostly paralleling her modern history class. We will use Windows to the World for Lit analysis and then add some other essay writing second semester.

Language - Latin 2, online with CLRC.  

History - Moderns at home with me. I'll use Dave Raymond's course as a starting point and add some Read Like a Historian and some movies.

Science - Biology at local tutorial with the Science Shepherd text. The tutorial uses a local university's labs, so the kids get to work in nice facilities with good equipment. 

Elective - Musical Theater at local tutorial.

Extra curriculars: Piano, AHG, regular exercise tbd, Church youth group. Possibly looking for a regular volunteering opportunity or a job after we get settled into the year and see how it goes.

Does this look okay? High school is scary! 

 

 

I agree that it's a little scary! We survived 9th grade this year and I just wanted to say that I think you will love your dd's geometry and biology teachers (I think I know them!)! Have a great year!!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally ready to post! 

Math- Saxon Algebra 1

Science- Biology by Miller Levine- lots of videos from HHMI Bio Interactive, labs, and interactive notebooks from Mel and Gerty on TPT

English 1- Mom made, using Norton Sampler, How to Read Lit Like a Professor, and a book list I'm still working on- some Glencoe book studies. Plan is at least one essay per month.  Still deciding on how to do writing,  but considering Writing and Rhetoric, Arguement Builder, or Killgallon Sentences book.  We will probably skip around bc she's got the basics if writing,  we just need to polish it up.

World History- using My World History, and K12 textbook. We will use videos, notebooking,  mapwork, and read some primary source documents.  I will use living books for DD to read, and textbook will be mostly read by me and for outlining.  Skills to learn will include note taking, outlining, short answer essays,  suppOrting an opinion with facts and details, and formal essays.  

Personal Finance (.5 or 1, depending on content )- at co-op, I'm teaching! 

Drama (.5)- at Co-op

We have discussed other electives such as health  (she did OM last year, b u t we may do a .5 credit refresher course), sewing (she wants to learn, but I'm not sure I want to put it on a transcript as a course), and Food Science- we did this in 8th grade, so it would be a continuing class. She also wants to do Botany, so not sure if thst will be a .5 credit extra or just includee with Biology.  Maybe PE?  I want to get 6 or 7 credits total.

Note that there is no FL.  I am aware if this!  Right now she's not sure about college, and does not want to do Spanish.  We may do ASL, but I'm still gathering ideas snd I do not want to over-schedule her.  She's worried about a heavy load, so I'm planning the 4 cores, and we will see how the extras play out once we have those in a routine.  

Edited by BusyMom5
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2019 at 5:19 PM, Roadrunner said:

How many credits are you planning for your 9th grader? 

 

 We have 8 total planned. 5 core, 1  each in fine arts, PE, and Logic.  That seems like a lot. 😬 But the music and PE are just stuff she does for fun ...  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2019 at 9:26 AM, GeoKitty said:

Spanish 2 EP and conversational class

My 9th grader is doing EP Spanish 1 with the convo class this year. Did you take this last year? Did you find the class to be beneficial?

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Credits:

1.0 Literature of Science Fiction
1.0 Math stuff... probably 1/2 credit of finishing Geometry and 1/2 credit of Precalc (we did Alg 1 and 2 back to back)
1.0 Physics
1.0 Economics
1.0 Japanese
1.0 Aerospace Science
1.0 Engineering
0.5 Culinary Arts (through co-op plus at home elements)
0.5 Performing Arts (through co-op plus at home elements)
0.5 PE/Health

Looks like 8.5 credits planned... I think.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are entering 9th with our oldest this school year too! It is great to see what other families are doing for freshman classes. My dd loves languages so she is heavy in that department. I'd love opinions on US history - should we split it into US History I and II over 2 years? She's already taken HS world history. I worry she has no time for an in-depth study of primary documents.

Science: AP Chemistry

Math: Precalculus with trigonometry

Language Arts: American Literature; contemplated Rhetoric I or II with WTM online classes but I don't think she'd have the time

History/SS: United States History

Language: Classical Greek II (Second half of Hansen and Quinn's Intensive Greek Course); Latin III (Not sure what this will look like; she finished Wheelock's Latin this year); Old English (using Word Hoard and A Guide to Old English); I said NO to French I this year

PE: 180 hours but does include this summer

Activities: violin in the local youth symphony and private lessons

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What DS13 has decided on so far

English - undecided 

Maths - Calculus (Summer)

Science - Environmental Science 

History - US History 

World Language - Chinese 

Electives - Economics (Summer), Photography 

PE - recreational tennis 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2019 at 6:49 AM, MamaSprout said:

Still debating on a few things, but we've made the big decisions (no dual enrollment, not going to brick and mortar, and probably no online class.) I continue to mostly just buy books... Time to venture out, I guess.

History to 1500- Humanistic Traditions (includes art, history and world literature) Dual credit Government

Literature to 1500: Foundations of Western Culture, GC "Great Authors of Western Lit" & Vandiver's "Odyssey". Sub Julius Caesar for Beowulf.  Mom made mash up of other resources. Rhetoric class at co-op in the spring. Maybe Shakespeare for fall.

French 3- Breaking the Barrier 3 (first half) and a conversation course. Global Goose. Probably going to do French 2 since she needs more conversation practice. First real online class in five years so I want it to be successful.

Biology- Still deciding. I know we are using the Advanced Biology Kit. Dd wants to do Campbell, but also likes the Holt owl book. Just trying to decide if what we cover will match up with AP or SAT 2 test because she should take one or the other for various reasons. AP Bio with small provider. Subject test in June. Dual credit Biology. Self study for subject test.

Math- Precalculus. Probably. This is a good spot/ time for something besides "forward". Not sure what. She was talking about jumping back into AoPS again, which surprised me. Thinking about taking a spin through Gelfand's AlgebraI bought Adler's book as a side-along, but Larson will be our main text. Still deciding between two precalculus options

Logic/ Math- Continue Elements of Mathematics Foundations. AMC 10 prep course

Health/ Phys Ed- Oak Meadow. As we have time. Found scratch-and-dent coursebook directly from OM on Ebay. Probably working on this over the summers. Most of this is done-ish. Still want to work through body systems.

Added: Dd has a couple of electives that she's self studying that will probably end up on her transcript next year as semester courses. The local school has eight credits per year, so she wants that. This is my compromise. I think AP Bio will take quite a bit of time. Dual credit music theory. Theater class done over the summer.

A couple of instruments, NDIgnite, and community theater.

I'm surprised this hasn't changed more.

Edited by MamaSprout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/24/2019 at 10:47 AM, Trak's End said:

We are entering 9th with our oldest this school year too! It is great to see what other families are doing for freshman classes. My dd loves languages so she is heavy in that department. I'd love opinions on US history - should we split it into US History I and II over 2 years? She's already taken HS world history. I worry she has no time for an in-depth study of primary documents.

Science: AP Chemistry

Math: Precalculus with trigonometry

Language Arts: American Literature; contemplated Rhetoric I or II with WTM online classes but I don't think she'd have the time

History/SS: United States History

Language: Classical Greek II (Second half of Hansen and Quinn's Intensive Greek Course); Latin III (Not sure what this will look like; she finished Wheelock's Latin this year); Old English (using Word Hoard and A Guide to Old English); I said NO to French I this year

PE: 180 hours but does include this summer

Activities: violin in the local youth symphony and private lessons

 

Depending on your Literature course, there may be some document study there. My dd would revolt if we did two years of American History. There is a free US History course that is document-based with monthly discussions here: https://teachingamericanhistory.org/homeschool-curriculum/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2019 at 6:26 PM, BrittiBop16 said:

My 9th grader is doing EP Spanish 1 with the convo class this year. Did you take this last year? Did you find the class to be beneficial?

Thanks!

Sorry, I just saw this.  We did EP Spanish 1 this past year. But did not use the Conversational class.  We actually first started with Breaking the Barrier... and gave up on it.  However, we have had a local in person conversational class two hours a week.  I do not plan to use the EP conversational class for Spanish 2.... mostly because it doesn’t fit in with her 20 hours a week gymnastics schedule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2019 at 9:26 AM, GeoKitty said:
Ninth grade!
Physics. Apologia possibly also do the advanced book. Science is her thing. 
Spanish 2 EP and conversational class
World history : A Catholic text book with workbook
PE : she practices 20 hours a week in competitive gymnastics.  
English. Probably homegrown.   Maybe a Co-op literature class. 
MatH:  AOPS, should be finishing geometry and counting and probability, and move on to Intermediate Algebra.  

So... things have changed.  DD plans to dual enroll either for the spring or summer semester.  So the goal is to get her ready for that..

Apologia Physics

EP Spanish 2

World history using Catholic textbook and workbook

PE gymnastics

EP Literature and Composition 

Teaching textbooks Precalculus, study for SAT and PERT to do DE Precalculus or calculus 

Apologia Health and Nutrition 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2019 at 6:02 PM, beckyjo said:

My middle will be 9th grade next year. Her 8th grade year has been a roller coaster, but I am hoping (crossing every finger and toe) that it will all settle down for high school.

She is eligible for a private school scholarship, so she may end up in school (we tried this year, but she didn't stay for various reasons). But if she stays home...

Math: She's doing Mr. D Algebra right now; if it continues to be a good fit, Mr. D Geometry

English: no idea????? Started Essentials in Writing this week, maybe continue that and some literature. She really would love a class, but I haven't found a good one locally.

Social Studies: Intro to Psychology with CLEP test- she desperately wants to start college classes so this is our compromise. She loves ancient history which is what I'm planning with my 7th grader, so may fold her into that. 

Science: She is starting Guest Hollow Anatomy this coming week, so that leading into some sort of Chemistry second semester?

Foreign Language: she wants to do Spanish (she started this at school this year) - as I mentioned she wants to do college, so we may try community college Spanish

She's an eager learner and loves to be busy, so she will round this out with penpals in 3 different countries, volunteering, TaeKwonDo, and art (they just opened a pottery place here in town - maybe classes in that). 

 

 

Well, I have finally nailed down what DD is using for 9th grade - interesting how my plans have changed since February. She will be at home next year as we decided that would be best for her mental and physical health. 

Math: Mr. D did not work out well, so she will be doing Algebra I with Saxon, which I picked up at a library sale for a couple of bucks.

English & Social Studies: Global Perspectives Studies - she's been obsessed with India and the Middle East for some time, so this seems like a really good fit. She enjoys reading a couple of Human Growth and Development textbooks that I picked up somewhere, so she may possibly take that CLEP test sometime.

Science: Guest Hollow Anatomy - we didn't get as far as I wanted last semester as she was still working on recovery, so I expect this to take us most of 9th grade.

Foreign Language: German I at a local co-op - she picked up a penpal in Germany, and I took 6 years of German in school, so she chose German as her language.

Electives: Health & PE with Oak Meadow (seemed to fit well with the Anatomy course) and Theater at the local co-op.

Extras haven't changed: She volunteered at the library's summer reading program and a Jr. Medical summer camp. She will continue to volunteer in the church nursery and may add another volunteer job at a local science museum. She has 4 penpals currently that she writes to on a regular basis, is on the TKD demo team, and she wants to add biweekly art classes at our local museum to her schedule too. She also just discovered we have a teen Roller Derby league, but I don't know that we can shoehorn that into her schedule.

I am expecting this to be 6.5 credits, with Theater being a half credit. It may end up to be a full credit since she is also auditioning to be in a play. If she chooses to take the Human Growth and Development CLEP test, I would grant a credit there as well. 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a couple questions. I'm looking at my first ninth grader and finishing up the plans for this year. This is what I have so far:

Great Conversations 3 at WHA : 1 credit history, 1 credit literature, .5 credit theology

Accelerated Studies in Physics and Chemistry - Novarre 1 credit science

Greek 2 at WHA-  1 credit language/elective

Algebra B (Algebra 2) at AoPS (already started and will finish in October)- 1 credit Math   Then what do I do? Keep on going with Geometry or take a break for a bit?

Introductory and Intermediate Logic  by Nance - 1 Credit

Writing and Rhetoric books 9 and 10 and some Grammar review - do I pair this with Great Conversations literature for 1.5 credits? or should this be a whole credit of composition on its own? 

We were looking at the possibility of doing Arabic this year. So that's my other question. Is my 9th grader already full or is this do-able? As far as taking multiple languages, it wouldn't be the first time. My ds has taken Koine Greek for about 3 years, did a year of Ancient Greek last year and will continue on with that. While he was taking Koine Greek, he also was learning the language of the country we lived in.

If I add in Arabic then it would be 8 to 8.5 credits. Is that too much?

 

Edited by specialkmom
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Math - Jann in TX (my homeschool math class) 

History - Biblioplan medieval 

Science - ACE/School of Tomorrow Biology

American sign language 

Sonlight lit 230 - classic literature

Essentials in Writing 10

Rod and Staff Grammar for review

Artistic Pursuits high school 1 

Local volunteering  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, specialkmom said:

I have a couple questions. I'm looking at my first ninth grader and finishing up the plans for this year. This is what I have so far:

Great Conversations 3 at WHA : 1 credit history, 1 credit literature, .5 credit theology

Accelerated Studies in Physics and Chemistry - Novarre 1 credit science

Greek 2 at WHA-  1 credit language/elective

Algebra B (Algebra 2) at AoPS (already started and will finish in October)- 1 credit Math   Then what do I do? Keep on going with Geometry or take a break for a bit?

Introductory and Intermediate Logic  by Nance - 1 Credit

Writing and Rhetoric books 9 and 10 and some Grammar review - do I pair this with Great Conversations literature for 1.5 credits? or should this be a whole credit of composition on its own? 

We were looking at the possibility of doing Arabic this year. So that's my other question. Is my 9th grader already full or is this do-able? As far as taking multiple languages, it wouldn't be the first time. My ds has taken Koine Greek for about 3 years, did a year of Ancient Greek last year and will continue on with that. While he was taking Koine Greek, he also was learning the language of the country we lived in.

If I add in Arabic then it would be 8 to 8.5 credits. Is that too much?

 

Know thy child, but yes, that is probably too much. Have you mapped this out on a blank weekly schedule with study hours, meals, extra curriculars, etc? That's a pretty good way to tell if it's too much.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, specialkmom said:

Algebra B (Algebra 2) at AoPS (already started and will finish in October)- 1 credit Math   Then what do I do? Keep on going with Geometry or take a break for a bit?

Writing and Rhetoric books 9 and 10 and some Grammar review - do I pair this with Great Conversations literature for 1.5 credits? or should this be a whole credit of composition on its own? 

If I add in Arabic then it would be 8 to 8.5 credits. Is that too much?

Re: math He could do Number Theory or one of AoPS's one semester books. Or, just start Geo. Either way, I wouldn't stop math.

Doesn't GC include composition? I would be careful about overloading...

I have a kid that loved languages so I don't see an issue adding them, but don't overload your kid. It is always easier to add things later if he still has enough time & wants to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone started yet? We are easing in, but the fact that this is HIGH SCHOOL is still scary!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DS13 and DS14 started last week for Digital Photography online. Next week they start US History online. Environmental Science online starts the week after. The rest of their outsourced classes start in September 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, we started today!  And I am more than a little freaked out about high school, too!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

The local high school looks increasingly attractive 🤣

Don't say this :ohmy:!!!  Today I am finally writing the letter to our school to tell them we are not coming to their IB Progam :ph34r:!!!  I should do it before Freshman orientation next week and definitely before the first day of school, which is the 26th.

We haven't officially started yet, but mine do math and some LA year round.  Our outsourced classes start the week after Labor Day.  I am scared too!!!  Very scared...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those feeling anxious, Nan in Mass threads are worth reading, plenty of down to earth advice and encouragement 

e.g. 

For those of you with 8th graders considering homeschooling high school... https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/3487-for-those-of-you-with-8th-graders-considering-homeschooling-high-school/

To all you people with 8th graders (or there abouts)... https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/68058-to-all-you-people-with-8th-graders-or-there-abouts/

DS14 had a chaotic 9th grade year due to my cancer treatment and he ended up completing 2 credits from August to May. In total he has 5 credits for 9th grade, 2 (Stats & Econs) completed last summer and 1 (English 9) completed this summer. It is also very unbalanced since its 1 English, 3 Math and 1 Elective credit. He was and still is a sulky teen. Dealing with the emotional aspects (of two sulky teens in my case) was more exhausting than the academic aspects. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

For those feeling anxious, Nan in Mass threads are worth reading, plenty of down to earth advice and encouragement 

e.g. 

For those of you with 8th graders considering homeschooling high school... https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/3487-for-those-of-you-with-8th-graders-considering-homeschooling-high-school/

To all you people with 8th graders (or there abouts)... https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/68058-to-all-you-people-with-8th-graders-or-there-abouts/

DS14 had a chaotic 9th grade year due to my cancer treatment and he ended up completing 2 credits from August to May. In total he has 5 credits for 9th grade, 2 (Stats & Econs) completed last summer and 1 (English 9) completed this summer. It is also very unbalanced since its 1 English, 3 Math and 1 Elective credit. He was and still is a sulky teen. Dealing with the emotional aspects (of two sulky teens in my case) was more exhausting than the academic aspects. 

Thanks for the links to Nan's threads! 

Sorry about the difficult boy. I have one too and it is hard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

For those feeling anxious, Nan in Mass threads are worth reading, plenty of down to earth advice and encouragement 

e.g. 

For those of you with 8th graders considering homeschooling high school... https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/3487-for-those-of-you-with-8th-graders-considering-homeschooling-high-school/

To all you people with 8th graders (or there abouts)... https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/68058-to-all-you-people-with-8th-graders-or-there-abouts/

DS14 had a chaotic 9th grade year due to my cancer treatment and he ended up completing 2 credits from August to May. In total he has 5 credits for 9th grade, 2 (Stats & Econs) completed last summer and 1 (English 9) completed this summer. It is also very unbalanced since its 1 English, 3 Math and 1 Elective credit. He was and still is a sulky teen. Dealing with the emotional aspects (of two sulky teens in my case) was more exhausting than the academic aspects. 

So very sorry you all had such a rough year  : ( !!!  Not nearly the same thing, but my elderly dad called me the day after Labor Day (our first day of 8th grad) last year needing help and the rest of our year went down the drain!  Getting his medical stuff taken care of, him moved, and his house cleaned out, packed up, and sold really put a crimp in what got done!!!  My guys managed to plug away and keep going (with much less involvement from me than they were used to), but I didn't have to do official high school transcripts etc.  I don't ever wish a repeat of this past year.  I can only image what ya'll have been through!

I have twin 14 year olds :ohmy: and I am 52 :ph34r:!  Fun times here too!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Thanks for the links to Nan's threads! 

 

The links I posted are under “Addressing Fears about homeschooling High School” of Lori’s pinned thread https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/418045-high-school-motherlode-1-starting-high-school-tests-links-to-past-threads/

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote
23 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Anyone started yet? We are easing in, but the fact that this is HIGH SCHOOL is still scary!

 

23 hours ago, JennyD said:

Yes, we started today!  And I am more than a little freaked out about high school, too!

 

We started July 15 and yes, very scary!  So far I think it is going well but I still worry and it is still scary.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Started Monday with 9th for my fourth and final.  It feels a bit too early as the crickets have just started chatting, but two of her online classes started and the third next Tuesday.  She carefully set up her desk, purchased school supplies, figured out her online portals and is already happily spending time at her beautifully organized desk - she's such a different learner than the other three!  Here's to 9th grade!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Harpymom said:

Started Monday with 9th for my fourth and final.  It feels a bit too early as the crickets have just started chatting, but two of her online classes started and the third next Tuesday.  She carefully set up her desk, purchased school supplies, figured out her online portals and is already happily spending time at her beautifully organized desk - she's such a different learner than the other three!  Here's to 9th grade!

I used to love shopping for and organizing my school supplies every year when I was growing up.  To my dismay, my boys could NOT care less :biggrin:!  They will give an opinion on binder color, but the rest...

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

I used to love shopping for and organizing my school supplies every year when I was growing up.  To my dismay, my boys could NOT care less :biggrin:!  They will give an opinion on binder color, but the rest...

 

Yep...same here. I have always loved school supplies and largely still buy them just bc *I* want to😂 I finally made my three DSs go to Walmart with me for supplies and they threw some pens in the cart. 🙄😆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, mlktwins said:

I have twin 14 year olds :ohmy: and I am 52 :ph34r:!  Fun times here too!!!

Right there with ya! My kids are 14 and 12 snd I'm 53! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mlktwins said:

I used to love shopping for and organizing my school supplies every year when I was growing up.  To my dismay, my boys could NOT care less :biggrin:!  They will give an opinion on binder color, but the rest...

 

56 minutes ago, mmasc said:

Yep...same here. I have always loved school supplies and largely still buy them just bc *I* want to😂 I finally made my three DSs go to Walmart with me for supplies and they threw some pens in the cart. 🙄😆

 

DS13 is particular about mechanical pencils, he only likes the Zebra mechanical pencils. Both boys are particular about laptop bags, headsets, computer mouse and USB drives. 

For pencils we stick with Ticonderoga since that’s what my boys bring to SAT/AP/ACT exams. They also use the Zebra pens for AP exams.

Our binders are the typical white binders. Their fancy stationary is the tiny erasers from Daiso. The erasers decorate their desk and pencils case. https://www.daisojapan.com/c-403-erasers.aspx

DS14 is particular about pencil case and bought this Kipling one. Can put lots of pencils, pen, calculator and post-its. He took a month to pick out a new pencil case. https://www.kipling-usa.com/100-pens-case/AC3657.html

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

 

 

DS13 is particular about mechanical pencils, he only likes the Zebra mechanical pencils. 

 They also use the Zebra pens for AP exams.

 

I have been staring at them on Amazon. Any suggestions which ones to buy? We are too far from any retail store that sells them, but I am hoping Amazon versions are the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I have been staring at them on Amazon. Any suggestions which ones to buy? We are too far from any retail store that sells them, but I am hoping Amazon versions are the same.

 

We bought our first few from Target and Staples, then we bought from Amazon. DS13 didn’t complain so should be same quality. 

Zebra M301 mechanical pencil 0.7mm

https://www.target.com/p/zebra-2pk-2-mechanical-pencil-white/-/A-50424805

https://www.amazon.com/Zebra-Stainless-Mechanical-Standard-2-Count/dp/B0055EAY2K

Zebra F301 pen 9 pack

https://www.amazon.com/Zebra-Ball-Point-F-301-Pack/dp/B00I9LLCOU

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2019 at 11:33 AM, mlktwins said:

I have twin 14 year olds :ohmy: and I am 52 :ph34r:!  Fun times here too!!!

 

Your boys doing 2hrs swimming 6 days a week would definitely help physically, mentally and emotionally 🙂

I was swimming laps in university (engineering school) as a de-stressing/unwinding activity.  Besides relieving stress, it was great for maintaining cardio pulmonary health as I have asthma while in university. Doing math homework mentally while swimming wasn’t so great (as in I swam out of swimming pool lanes which was embarrassing at times).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Arcadia said:

 

Your boys doing 2hrs swimming 6 days a week would definitely help physically, mentally and emotionally 🙂

I was swimming laps in university (engineering school) as a de-stressing/unwinding activity.  Besides relieving stress, it was great for maintaining cardio pulmonary health as I have asthma while in university. Doing math homework mentally while swimming wasn’t so great (as in I swam out of swimming pool lanes which was embarrassing at times).

I sure hope so :biggrin:!  They are going from 1 hr/3 days a week to this!  The good news is with their heavier high school workload and swimming, they will have less time for video games!!!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Right there with ya! My kids are 14 and 12 snd I'm 53! 

I'm not sure I'm gonna survive :unsure:!  Add in my 84 year old dad too!  He still lives independently 10 minutes from me, but as of last September, he no longer drives.  So...for now, it is on me to get him out of the apartment to get groceries and to appointments.  We have hired a cleaning person so I don't have to do that part for him!!!

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mlktwins said:

I'm not sure I'm gonna survive :unsure:!  Add in my 84 year old dad too!  He still lives independently 10 minutes from me, but as of last September, he no longer drives.  So...for now, it is on me to get him out of the apartment to get groceries and to appointments.  We have hired a cleaning person so I don't have to do that part for him!!!

We are twins! My mom is 83, lives nearby and no longer drives. Until April, I was doing all the things you mentioned. So hard when mom was not well or needed lots of help, which has been often the last few years.

She is in an independent living facility now, though, which has been a huge blessing for all of us. So much less to manage! Meals, housekeeping, most transportation, all included. PT comes there. She can host her bridge club or other friends there. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Four days in and neither my 9th grader or I was feeling excited about Econ... so we ditched it. We are doing ancients (loaded History of the Ancient World on kindles... bought the study guide and maps on PDF and started some Great Courses lectures).... quick and easy change.  Should be more flexible for our busy schedule (can listen to audiobooks/lectures in the car more easily, can supplement with films and documentaries more easily if I'm out of town or something) ....  I'm a history/social studies teacher by background so this one doesn't stress me at all. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found some online planner sheets that are helping dd work on time mgmt. This, rather than actual course content, may well prove the biggest challenge for her in high school.

Added a once a week dance class for her for some regularly scheduled exercise. 

Her online Latin class begins Monday, then we'll be all in. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

then we'll be all in. 

We've been adding a class a week with two more to go - 3 outside classes each, Spanish, Bio2, and math. So far so good. I'm loving HotAW! I was worried it would be too much, but 3 chapters a week is working out nicely, and since we did a chunk of chapters the last week of summer, we can take an occasional week off. I've also added, and this may be my downfall, bio labs at home. It probably would have made more sense to do them last year alongside bio1, but here we are.

I'm looking forward to our fall break, the week that bridges from September to October! Ha

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So my son, who was all worried about high school, is managing well, although it's barely been a week.  The suggestion to go with OUP's ancient history series seems to have been perfect for him. It is a little on the easy reading side but is giving him the depth he likes and is proving an excellent way for him to learn time budgeting because I gave him a due date and list of things to read and do. He and DD watched a GC episode together, and they are also doing Conceptual Physics together, which they (and I) are both liking a lot. Their different strengths work together. 

 

He loves AOPS Number Theory. Granted, we flew through the first chapter because it's very easy, but that built his good will. It doesn't hurt that the current chapter in AOPS Algebra 2 is a fairly easy one too. 

 

We ran into a bit of trouble when I wanted him to watch a GC in electronics, and he balked because he isn't really a video sort of learner and wanted to wait until DH is available. DH is currently spending every night and weekend working on the house, so DS1 does help with that and will learn about electricity that way. I've got him reading the Make electronics book now and still need to get some projects going, and they can settle in to watch the videos together when the weather cools a bit. 

 

He initially didn't love Khan's SAT prep but is getting plenty right on the diagnostic tests, so I think he settled down about that. He is just my child who has always been super cautious and skeptical about new things. 

 

Training classes for his puppy as well as his online English class start soon, so they will take up some time. CAP's poetry is going fine, and I am glad to see there is room in his day to step up the workload for the actual English class. I'd say 9th grade is off to a great start. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty much it's: Read good books, write something every school day, do a short geography lesson, plus one math lesson.  Relaxed high school.  😎

The stuff I plan to use:

  1. Lots of novels with stories worth remembering. I'm pulling ideas from Honey for a Teens Heart and Sonlight.
  2. Teaching Textbooks Pre-Algebra
  3. Trail Guide to World Geography
  4. A Little History of the World, Genevieve Foster books, whatever looks interesting (history-related)
  5. Northwest Treasures Fossils kit, books and movies about Darwinism/evolution/intelligent design, from various points of view, etc.

She's also doing competitive debate, soccer, criminal justice (outside class), dance, and youth group. 

Edited by shinyhappypeople
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2019 at 5:05 AM, ScoutTN said:

Found some online planner sheets that are helping dd work on time mgmt. This, rather than actual course content, may well prove the biggest challenge for her in high school.

 

DS13 has four online classes (History, Science, Chinese, Photography) with DS14. He spend more than double the time to get close to full marks for his assignments while DS14 gets like above 95% so far on much less time. I have to remind DS13 that aiming for 100% means that he would not have any time to sleep.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This will be my 3rd and last year teaching 9th grade.  Here is the line up and we will finish when we finish.  I will go at her pace and I know some subjects will go slower than others and that is fine by me.  I will be using ABeka English and Literature, Math-U-See Algebra, Apologia Health and Nutrition, Notgrass Government and Story of the World Ancient History.  There are few other things I will toss in here and there but this is the core subjects for her year.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2019 at 11:52 AM, shinyhappypeople said:

Pretty much it's: Read good books, write something every school day, do a short geography lesson, plus one math lesson.  Relaxed high school.  😎

The stuff I plan to use:

  1. Lots of novels with stories worth remembering. I'm pulling ideas from Honey for a Teens Heart and Sonlight.
  2. Teaching Textbooks Pre-Algebra
  3. Trail Guide to World Geography
  4. A Little History of the World, Genevieve Foster books, whatever looks interesting (history-related)
  5. Northwest Treasures Fossils kit, books and movies about Darwinism/evolution/intelligent design, from various points of view, etc.

She's also doing competitive debate, soccer, criminal justice (outside class), dance, and youth group. 

🙄 Just a month in and changing everything except science:

New plan:

  1. Illuminating Literature - When Worlds Collide
  2. The Power in Your Hands (writing)
  3. Khan Academy Pre-algebra - this is working surprisingly well for her, and will allow her to start Algebra 1 late January.  I plan to have her continue with KA or use Derek Owens, her choice.
  4. Wonderful World of Geography
  5. Northwest Treasures Fossils kit, books and movies about Darwinism/evolution/intelligent design, from various points of view, etc.

I feel totally at peace. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2019 at 2:48 PM, shinyhappypeople said:

🙄 Just a month in and changing everything except science:

New plan:

  1. Illuminating Literature - When Worlds Collide
  2. The Power in Your Hands (writing)
  3. Khan Academy Pre-algebra - this is working surprisingly well for her, and will allow her to start Algebra 1 late January.  I plan to have her continue with KA or use Derek Owens, her choice.
  4. Wonderful World of Geography
  5. Northwest Treasures Fossils kit, books and movies about Darwinism/evolution/intelligent design, from various points of view, etc.

I feel totally at peace. 

 

How are you liking the writing and literature? Is it easy to understand and grade? We are doing EIW/EIL and thinking of switching over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Mom28kds said:

How are you liking the writing and literature? Is it easy to understand and grade? We are doing EIW/EIL and thinking of switching over.

I like it.  It's still early days, and she hasn't completed her first paper yet, so I can't give a full review.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...