Menu

Help me choose writing!

hands-on-mama

I have a 4th and 6th grader coming up for the new school year. I feel like we really need to work on writing. Help me choose please. 

I like Write Shop, but their level is too teacher intensive for me. I don’t like IEW. 

They have done some Winning with Writing this year. It’s okay but the way it’s set up get’s o,d after a while. I’ve been looking at EIW and Writing & Rhetoric lately. I have also looked at Treasured Conversations some for my 4th grader. Would it be too young for my 6th grader?? Anything else I need to look at?

54 minutes ago, Syllieann said:

I didn't realize you were looking at the junior version.  For anyone else who might be reading, the videos are to accompany write shop 1&2, grades 6-10, so middle school or early high school.

Yes, I didn't realize that it could be used with middle school. I'll have to look at it. I don't think my rising 6th grader would be ready for it yet though.

Writing Strands--the originals, if you can find them. WS does a really excellent but understated job of teaching children how to write--no checklists, no made-up rules (e.g., every paragraph must have at least [insert favorite number] of sentences with an opening sentence, [insert favorite number] of supporting sentences, and a closing sentence; there must be [insert favorite number] of rough drafts), emphasis on writing, not paragraphs, and more. 

Wordsmith is pretty decent, too.

Treasured Conversations is great. Can your 6th grader read something, outline it, and write an essay from the outline? That is the end goal of TC. If not, then I think you can use it, but speed it up. 

CAP Writing and Rhetoric is also wonderful. My youngest will be using CAP and TC next year for 4th. (we Spread TC over 4th and 5th-- this will be my third go round with TC)

• Like 1

Treasured Conversations came out too late for us, alas. I have used CAP W&R Fable, Narrative 1 and 2, Chreia & Encomuim and Vituperation. For my students, W&R was not intuitive, and I needed to be alongside them encouraging them through the books. The Teacher's Guides were great and I felt I had what I needed, but I was still the primary teacher.

My favorite writing curriculum for 6th or 7th is Clearwater Press Cover Story. Engaging video lessons, great workbook and journal, good skills and taught and good variety of projects.

Wordsmith is basic, but is the workbook style writing that my kid tolerated best. To note for secular folks, Apprentice has some things where it suggests the student use Bible stories or church as a jumping off point, but it's really easy to use something else, like a fairy tale or a different location and there's no other religion - it's more assuming your kid will have those reference points than trying to teach anything religious.

My 5th grader is working her way through Writing & Rhetoric, and it’s really lovely. Her writing has definitely benefited from it. She’s a strong writer naturally, so I feel like W&R is helping her polish her writing and find new ways to write more elegantly. We’re finishing Narrative 1 right now, and she and I both love it. 

17 hours ago, parent said:

Writing Strands appears to be for junior high. Wordsmith looked the best to me out of those three.

You can't go wrong with Wordsmith. 🙂 However, Writing Strands starts with children as young as six. I only actually recommend Level 3 and up; an 8yo could do Level 3, although an older dc who had not done much writing could also do Level 3. I wouldn't recommend starting above Level 4.