Menu

Is it bad that?

I am secretly cheering that my kids don’t want to do Tae Kwon Do this term?  I just instantly regained two nights a week!  My oldest also has dialed back on tennis and youngest quit swimming.  Long term they are not doing much so if they don’t pick up something I will push them but I was feeling maxed out and my schedule didn’t even work on paper which means there was no hope for real life!  Now I feel like it might just be manageable.

Oldest two do still have a sport each - youngest doesn’t but want to do footy in a couple of months so that’s ok.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

Not bad!

I'm very "anti-overbooking" for kids and families as a whole.  My kids each get ONE activity, and those are limited to things that work with our family.  Family time > activities almost without exception.  

This has been our approach.  But last year we opened the floodgates and let them go for it.  And it seems to be self correcting because they’ve all realised they value their free time!

• Like 3

Do what works for your family.  We turn into slugs if we don't have outside activities most days.  It's still good to find the right balance.  I used to overbook us, and now I just ask dc to choose.  Dc is a very good judge of if a schedule is too busy or just right.  

I would have ended up crazy if our kids were involved in something every night. We have always protected our home time-outside involvement ratio. I cannot function if we have constant outside commitments, and if I can't function----the reality is that our homeschool and family won't function.  

I love our kids, but they have to live within my "I can do this" parameters. When we had everyone still at home as children, we limited them to 1 major commitment as a group and the older ones got 1-2 additional group  activities (at one pt we had 6 kids playing soccer on 6 different teams, but most practices and games were limited to the same days per week, 3 in Boy Scouts on a Monday night's, and 4 involved in a church volunteer project that met near Scouts for 2 hrs prior to the Scout meeting. I could handle Monday afternoons/evenings being our biggest weekly commitment other than Sat soccer games.)

Our younger kids have an older, more tired mom. Regardless of whether they would like it or not, my soccer mom days are 100% over. No way I am going back to sitting out on the soccer field on Sat mornings. Not happening. They are involved in choir, music lessons, youth group, and a virtue study I started at our church for homeschoolers. Being out 3 nights per week is my personal max.

• Like 2