Menu

6th Grade 2019-2020!

ScoutTN

Well, this is my non-academic kid. He does fine when he works hard, but he just doesn't like school work and often doesn't work hard. I am trying to keep academics basic , so that he has time for things he enjoys more. This kid needs people and activity!

Math - not sure yet. Considering CLE

Literature - Center for Lit class plus reading lots of good books. I'm thankful that he does like to read!

Writing - Writing and Rhetoric is working well, so we'll stick with it. Plus some Killgallon.Though I own IEW SWI B and we could do that. He would like Andrew Pudewa! 

Grammar - finish FLL4 and keep doing some diagramming

Spelling - Apples and Pears

History - History of American popular music, mom-made with LOTS of listening and live music! This boy loves rock and roll!

Science -  interest led reading and a local class at the Science Center

Art and Drama - tutorial one morning a week.
Geography - BF, puzzles, maps
Typing - typing.com

Extra curriculars - Scouts, piano, church youth group, flag football

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 3

I've got one of those, too. My plan for him so far:

Math - Going to try MUS Epsilon this year and see if that is a better fit than TT.

English - R&S English 5. This has been a good fit for him using it a year behind, doing it orally. He's an audio learner, so I'm going to keep this up for one more year. For spelling, R&S 6 but I'll probably modify it a little. For writing, more written narrations, two-level outlines and I want to have him do one writing lesson per week from R&S English to keep things interesting, otherwise he will get very sick of the outlining. Also, we do Pathway reading on Fridays.

Science - Going to try out doing Science in the Beginning on his own. We did it as a group when he was in 1st grade and it was way over his head, so now is a good time to revisit it.

History - doing Canadian history next year with older brother and younger sis. Cobbling together a bunch of things including My First History of Canada, Canada Map Book 6, and some Discovering Canada books.

Logic - Logic Countdown. He wasn't ready for it this year so we're going to try again next year.

Geography - very simple, once-a-week world geography using The Children's Atlas of God's World and some blank outline maps.

Art - He wants to make landscape drawings so we're going to use as many Art Projects for Kids tutorials as we can find.

I'm not sure if I should let him drop art. He's not an art guy. But otherwise, he'll do Bible memory, hymn singing and one more year of piano lessons.

Edited by hollyhock2
  • Like 2

Mine is an introvert but she does not like to work hard. Like, at all. She will read and play Legos with ferocity and energy but ask her to do her work neatly and she turns into a sloth and acts like I've asked her do the impossible. She does well at what she wants to do (science and history) but is lazy with what she doesn't want to do (language and math).

Math - Continue MM, maybe some LoF Fractions and D&P as a fun supplement on Fridays

Language - Hopefully finishing AAS, season 1 of AG, IEW SWI B, Wordly Wise, reading list to go with history, maybe a lit guide on Crispin

History - SotW 2 Medieval with the 2nd grader, then reading Human Odyssey on her own, Trail Guide to World Geo, weekly summaries of HO

Science - God's Design for the Physical World, Snap Circuits, Physics Discovery kit

Misc - piano lessons, Artistic Pursuits, once a week PE class, Mind Benders, Building Thinking Skills, typing.com, helping me keep the baby occupied 🙂

Our speech and debate club also offers a juniors class every fall so she will do that again and prepare and give a couple speeches at our annual tournament.

• Like 2

Very tentatively for my all-over-the-map guy, UPDATED 2/8/19:

• Math Mammoth 6 (I think he could do 7 but want to focus more on bolstering his language arts skills.)
  • Oak Meadow English and Ancient History with some supplements
  • continuing Homeschool Spanish Academy
  • likely Uzinggo's Life Science (or maybe Biology*) homemade biology (design in progress) with SWB's Story of Science, since U's website is a PITA--I'm not paying for a 100% web-based program unless the website works pretty much perfectly.
  • music lessons - continue piano (and start drums after summer camp), or even drop piano if drum lessons are going well
  • scouts, possibly middle school youth group at church, likely recreational sports.

* Can anybody weigh in on these? He's a sciencey kid but not inclined to study (e.g., watches Amoeba Sisters videos for fun; currently trying to compete with the neighbors for songbird visits by feeding what they're supposed to like). The free trial is only for one or the other. I'm inclined toward Life Science, but it looks like he's going to be familiar with a lot of the material.

I've decided I need to switch from my weekly spreadsheet to a daily plan for middle school, so I tried out Homeschool Minder, Homeschool Tracker and Homeschool Planet. Homeschool Planet is definitely the winner.

Update 9/2019:  He did wind up switching entirely to drums. I'm really liking the selection of topics we have going. Story of Science has become the bedtime read-aloud for now. We're dipping our toes into some Latin and logic as well.
On the down side, I keep having to correct Oak Meadow's grammar instruction, and it's REALLY distracting--I hope it's not going to be like this all year. The entire point of buying somebody else's English book was not having to do it myself; spending the money and then also having to correct on the fly and try not to confuse DS is not what I was hoping for.

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 1

My current ideas for next year:

Language Arts: AAS 6, IEW Ancient History-Based Writing, Rod & Staff English, literature mostly to go along with history

Math: Singapore PM 6A & 6B

World History: Human Odyssey volume 1

American History: continue to read through The History of US

Science: Harcourt grade 6, second half

Religion: Baltimore Catechism, Bible History, saint stories, and a few other books

Spanish: La Clase Divertida 2 with siblings

Logic: Mindbenders

Edited by Lisa in the UP of MI
  • Like 1

Next year for ds11:

Math:. He just started Saxon 6/5 so we'll keep plugging away on that until finished.  He's very slow - I mean methodical -lol- so quite often we take two days per lesson.

Language Arts:. Grammar will be Rod and Staff.  He's behind but we'll keep plugging along.  He'll be in the middle of the fourth grade book when we start sixth grade.  Spelling is Dictation Day by Day.  No separate writing program because there is plenty of writing in his HOD program and Rod and Staff.

History/Science/Bible: HOD Resurrection to Reformation. 

Foreign Language:. I give them a choice between Latin and Greek so we'll see.  This year he's working on Greek using Hey Andrew!  If he chooses Latin, we'll use First Form.

• Like 2

Oldest DD will be starting 6th grade. My baby's growing up! 😢

Bible-PAC Running the Race (she's doing the 5th grade book, Possessing the Land, right now and really enjoys it), SCM Scripture memory system, devotions with Daddy, personal Bible reading

Hymn Study-Mr. Pipes books, Then Sings My Soul

Poetry-undecided

Art-I reeeeally want to use Creating a Masterpiece but have another art program sitting on the shelf that she ought to finish first. We'll see...

Math-CLE Math 600 

Grammar-CLE L.A. 600 or CAP Well-Ordered Language or ??? We've used CLE since 1st grade but it seems like she could use some more review on some of the basics. I also really want to focus on writing this year so we may have an easier year of grammar review. 

Writing-IEW Not sure where to start with this but want to look at it at convention next month. 

History-Notgrass America the Beautiful or Master Book's American Story or ???

Science-God's Design or BJU or ???

Piano Lessons

Edited by mykidsrmyjoy
  • Like 1

My oldest is gong into 6th. 😢 She can’t handle a heavy workload so I have to be careful to not overload her. 

Math: We’re doing a mix of math on Acellus and Math Lessons for a Living Education. I may end up picking just one for 6th. 🤷‍♀️

LA: Writing & Rhetoric, Good Books and undecided on grammar

History: America’s Story 2 (with younger sister) along with good books to read

Geography: Masterbooks Elementary Geography

Science: Masterbooks Elementary Anatomy and Acellus (the girls picked the anatomy course)

Coding: Intro to Coding on Acellus

we discovered Acellus during a horrible health crisis of mine. The math has been amazing for my oldest. They teach many different methods for one concept. MLFLE is shirt and sweet enough that she has no issue doing both. I guess we’ll see how this year goes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hands-on-mama said:

My oldest is gong into 6th. 😢 She can’t handle a heavy workload so I have to be careful to not overload her. 

Math: We’re doing a mix of math on Acellus and Math Lessons for a Living Education. I may end up picking just one for 6th. 🤷‍♀️

LA: Writing & Rhetoric, Good Books and undecided on grammar

History: America’s Story 2 (with younger sister) along with good books to read

Geography: Masterbooks Elementary Geography

Science: Masterbooks Elementary Anatomy and Acellus (the girls picked the anatomy course)

Coding: Intro to Coding on Acellus

we discovered Acellus during a horrible health crisis of mine. The math has been amazing for my oldest. They teach many different methods for one concept. MLFLE is shirt and sweet enough that she has no issue doing both. I guess we’ll see how this year goes. 

Did you do America's Story 1? How did you like it? I'm seriously considering using this for my 3rd and 6th graders. 

8 hours ago, mykidsrmyjoy said:

Did you do America's Story 1? How did you like it? I'm seriously considering using this for my 3rd and 6th graders. 

We are using it right now and enjoying it so far. The conversational writing seems to help them retain so much more than they were with other things. We plan to finish out the series and then move on to World's Story whenever we finish. I thought about moving my oldest on already, but I spoke to the author and she is in the process of writing a plan to utilize World's Story for high school with added resources.

1 hour ago, hands-on-mama said:

We are using it right now and enjoying it so far. The conversational writing seems to help them retain so much more than they were with other things. We plan to finish out the series and then move on to World's Story whenever we finish. I thought about moving my oldest on already, but I spoke to the author and she is in the process of writing a plan to utilize World's Story for high school with added resources.

Ok, thanks! 

Heres' what I've got so far, but may change...

Bible: BSGFAA 

Math: MM6, Khan Academy

Literature: BYL 6 readers (BYL 4 read alouds with little sister)

Spelling: MegaWords Books 3 & 4

Vocabulary: Not sure yet...either Wordly Wise Book 6 -OR- Vocabulary from Classical Roots Books 5 & 6

Writing: Writing & Rhetoric Books 5 & 6 (This is new for us, so I'm still debating on which book to start in)

Grammar: CLE Language Arts 6 (Again, this is new, so still deciding on level)

Science: Exploration Education

History: BYL 6 (US History Part 2)

Geography: Draw the USA, continue reviewing states/capitals  

Spanish: Duolingo

Extras: Weekly co-op, MMA class, and I really need to figure something with Art because she loves it

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Vintage81 said:

Heres' what I've got so far, but may change...

Bible: BSGFAA 

Math: MM6, Khan Academy

Literature: BYL 6 readers (BYL 4 read alouds with little sister)

Spelling: MegaWords Books 3 & 4

Vocabulary: Not sure yet...either Wordly Wise Book 6 -OR- Vocabulary from Classical Roots Books 5 & 6

Writing: Writing & Rhetoric Books 5 & 6 (This is new for us, so I'm still debating on which book to start in)

Grammar: CLE Language Arts 6 (Again, this is new, so still deciding on level)

Science: Exploration Education

History: BYL 6 (US History Part 2)

Geography: Draw the USA, continue reviewing states/capitals  

Spanish: Duolingo

Extras: Weekly co-op, MMA class, and I really need to figure something with Art because she loves it

I’ve never heard of Draw the USA! Thanks! I’m going to have to give BYL a look too. We are doing American history as well. 

• Like 1

I'm joining but I have nothing to contribute right now because I have no idea what we'll be doing next year. 😫

DS will be finished with BA 5 this spring so I need to figure out what's next. 

We'll probably continue with History Odyssey Level 2 and CLE reading. Both of those are working well. 

DS is in CC Essentials this year and loves the camaraderie and his tutor. I like both as well, but I'm not in love with the curriculum. So I need to figure out what to do about that. 

I'm going to follow this thread for inspiration. 

• Like 1

This is for my non academic child...

Already rethinking some of this! 

Math: CLE 500 and Division Facts That Stick

LA: AAS 3&4 and a local IEW writing class. I also just want her writing something, anything, every day, but it needs to be easy and independent. I'm thinking either Growing with Grammar 5 or Spelling You See copywork, the American book would go nicely with her history. I have no idea what I'm doing beyond AAS. Spelling is clearly the priority at this point, but I'm not sure whether to continue holding off on everything else.

History: bookshark 4, American history part 2...  Girls of American History to cover this time period

Science: RSO Life with her younger brothers, but with reading in an age appropriate Science encyclopedia.  A closer look at this and I've decided it's WAY too simple for her. Now I'm thinking bookshark science 5, health and human anatomy.

Other: typing, drawing. And one other yet to be determined, maybe gymnastics or violin.

Edited by vaquitita
  • Like 1

Math - Singapore 6

Spelling - Apples & Pears D

History - HO 2 Ancients

Language - Hake Grammar Holt Warriner’s Intro to Grammar, Usage, Mechanics, and Sentences MCT’s The Magic Lens with Hake Grammar

Composition - Memoria Press Classical Composition 2 and 3 Classical Quills 2

Science - Integrated Holt Science and Technology Green book

Violin w/orchestra

Bible - Starr Meade New Testament Survey

Literature - Teaching the Classics and various books

Edited by Heathermomster
  • Like 2

We’ve moved into mostly Memoria Press this year, and I think next year the plan is for my youngest to hop into a full core package for 6th grade. We’re secular homeschoolers so we’ll use Charter/Public versions of whatever we can, which actually looks to be available for most of the components in the core 6th grade. All the important subjects have a Charter version, anyway. 

I’m still debating whether I want to move her into MP’s Classical Composition, too, or leave her working on Writing & Rhetoric since she seems to like it well enough. It might be less tweaking to just get her to do what comes with the MP box - she’s a very talented young writer and will likely do well no matter which composition program we choose. 

We’re in the midst of shuffling her math around, and right now just working on strengthening some areas. I have no idea what we’ll use for math next year. I don’t want to use the Rod & Staff math that comes in the MP core curriculum. She’s a good student, but isn’t super passionate about math really. She will happily work on whatever I ask her to work on but I just haven’t decided which direction to go in. 

• Like 2

I'll have two 6th graders.

MATH- DS will be doing some Key To books and Jacobs Algebra, what percentage of either to be determined after we start.  DD has severe difficulties with math but has found a good fit alternating Math Mammoth with Teaching Textbooks for review, so will continue that with MM 5 and TT 6.

LA- They'll both be doing Writing and Rhetoric books 5 and 6 and Sequential Spelling 3. I decided we've been overloading grammar between W&R, Latin, and formal grammar, so we are taking the year off and will just diagram a sentence a week instead.  Then of course an hour a day of reading a mix of assigned and picked books, along with daily written narrations and occasional commonplace entries.

Latin- moving into Latin for Children B.

Morning reading with the group, which includes Bible, saint, poetry, memory work, art appreciation, and nature study.  Then alternating by month: 

History- SOTW 2 with the group, with extra reading assignments thrown in.  They'll continue notebooking and their book of centuries.

Science- Science in the Ancient World with the group.

Then all that ect...

DS is super into theatre and will likely continue the crazy-making schedule of auditioning and performing in 3-4 plays a year.  He's taking guitar lessons and considering adding back in piano, which he quit last year.  He's also considering taking his coding to the next level, but I'm not sure what there is beyond Lego robotics, scratch, code.org, Khan, ect, all of which he's done.  

DD is extrovert girl and takes classes 2 afternoons a week at the local Parent Partnership.  Generally art/ music/ creative writing.  She will continue piano and wants to learn baking/cooking at a more independent level.  She may also join brother in some local auditions.

I'm torn looking at all this because it doesn't seem much.  I always imagined middle school as this huge leap but tbh they are so engrossed in their own "stuff" they hardly have time to be piling on all the logic, debate, spoken language, ect, that I imagined for these years.  Which is the point of homeschooling!  But still...

• Like 3

My dd is easy to plan for. She has been in a full Memoria Press Core since K so we just keep it plugging along.

However, I am in the process of deciding which classes and which teachers she’ll take with MPOA. She started Latin and Composition online this year and it has worked well so she’ll take a few more there. She also likes to read faster than the literature plans call for so she will have done the 5th and 6th grade lit all this year. So she will be MP 6th grade core with 7th grade lit and some classes through MPOA.

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 1

So, tentatively:

Math: TT6

LA: CLE Rdg 5, A&P Spelling Spelling through Morphographs, EiW5  Treasured Conversations

History: Government/civics textbook + state history (light)

Science: integrated grade level textbook maybe Exploration Education with her sister

Art/Spanish - idk

PE - 1x/week, outsourced

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 1

So much of what we are currently doing is working so we'll be doing much of the same.  I'm still working out logic, science and extracurriculars.

Math:  AOPS Pre-Algebra

Language Arts: GWTM Red Book, AAS Level 7, Continue WWS 1 half speed (My son has requested more creative writing.  I'm looking into The Creative Writer for him to do half pace with WWS.  Opinions welcome!)

Latin: Latin for Children C (We may spend some time shoring up on skills from A and B before we move on)

Logic: ??  We did Basics of Critical Thinking which was a hit and we'll complete the Blast Off with Logic series this year.  Maybe The Art of Argument or Fallacy Detective.  Opinions welcome on these.  

History: Tapestry of Grace Year 2 - Dialectic Level  

Literature: Pulling half of this from Tapestry to coincide with history and will choose other fiction for the rest of the year.  We will probably do some Teaching the Classics with these.

Science: ?? We're up for an Astronomy and Earth Science year.  Right now, I'm considering RSO for this or following WTM recommendations for logic stage and picking some resources from there.  What have you used?

Art: Probably continuing Home Art Studio.  I'll also be looking for local classes to attend live throughout the year.  

We will continue building typing skills by typing a paragraph in a Word doc every other day or so. He can't think what to write and type at the some time yet. We will also continue Morning Time but I haven't planned any resources yet.  

Piano Lessons

• Like 1

I think I have most of it figured out...

Grammar: Analytical Grammar, Season 1
Writing: Wordsmith Apprentice (this is still a little iffy)
Spelling: Rod&Staff Level 6
Vocab: Vocab from Classical Roots, Level 6
Math: Christian Light, 600

With her 8th grade sibling
Science: Guest Hollow Botany
History: Notgrass From Adam to Us + read-alouds
Geography: Memoria Press Geography 1 (and maybe 2? not sure how long it will take us to work through)
Bible: Bible Road Trip, Year 2

Art/Music: No idea yet. 

Extra-curriculars
Co-op (maybe, we dropped this semester and it has been so nice! We'll have to see what the class offerings will be.)
Piano/voice lessons
Homeschool choir
Gymnastics

• Like 1

Maybe a little off topic! But why do some choose no to do Singapore 6? My 5 the grader probably will not finish Singapore 5 but I will go ahead and order to have it ready. I have noticed a lot of people stop after Singapore 5. I love Singapore and I love the instructors guides. Thank you.

For my oldest DD:

Math: Not sure yet. This year we are doing Singapore Primary Standards 5A & 5B along with Beast Academy 4 and 5.  I have not decided if I should continue with Singapore 6 or do their Dimensions program or maybe switch to a Pre-Algebra program such as AOPS or Jousting Armadillos.

To answer the pp, I have found that (for my DD) Singapore 5 has been more review than I expected rather than new material so I am concerned about a similar experience with Singapore 6. We love Singapore Math though so that's why I may look at Singapore Dimensions. The issue with the Dimensions program, for me, is I am not sure what level of math follows Dimensions 8 (Algebra II, Geometry??)

Language Arts:

Handwriting-- Zaner Bloser Handwriting (Cursive) 7/8

Vocabulary--Vocabulary from Classical Roots 6 & Maybe Vocabulit or Sadlier

Spelling: Continuing with Megawords (Books 3 & 4). Spelling is a weakness and a frustration for her unfortunately.

Grammar: Well Ordered Language 3A & B, and Parts of Analytical Grammar. My DD loves diagramming sentences so definitely we will continue with that.

Composition: IEW SWI B, IEW Theme Books (probably Ancient History), Start Writing with Skill Level 1, Kilgallon sentence composing books (a big hit with my DD!)

Literature: Novels with Discussion/Novel Guides/Teaching with the Classics, Short Stories from Lovin Lit on Teacherspayteachers, Poetry Study, Possibly Essentials in Literature 7

Science: Chemistry & Physics but I'm not sure how this will happen yet. Maybe Mr. Q. I already have Masterbooks units on Matter, Chemistry, etc. and Nancy Larson Science Units. There will be experiments and hands-on. We have Snap Circuits and she loves those.

History: Ancients with a variety of sources. She is very excited to start studying Ancient History!

Geography: Maybe Memoria Press Geography II, not sure yet.

Foreign Language: She has been begging me to start French so she may take French for Middle School (French I) at our homeschool co-op

Fine Arts: Continue with Ballet and Tap, add Contemporary dance, continue with audition choir, Continue with piano lessons, Studio and History of Art class at homeschool co-op

Physical Education: Dance, swimming, horseback riding

Edited by CAtoVA
  • Like 2

Reading others' plans with interest. Wee Girl will be a sixth grader next year only because we held her back, having a late summer birthday and being still non-verbal at the usual Kindergarten age, which delayed her reading significantly. She's gifted in math, so we're running a combination of advanced math/ remedial reading.

Reading & Writing: 1. various Baldwin Project "Level 2" stories on Accelareader
2. Junior Great Books reading group, Series 3 texts
3. Junior English Book 3 (4th grade) (hope to move on to book 4 by halfway through year)
4. Lots of cuddly read-alouds (incl. many of the BF books)

Vocabulary & Spelling: Word Wealth Jr.

History: Beautiful Feet Western Expansion
(Hopefully finishing BF Early American History/ Texas history this year)

Geography: Beautiful Feet Geography Through Literature

Music: 1. Suzuki cello lessons
2. Beautiful Feet History of Classical Music

Art: Phonics of Drawing

Latin & Grammar: Artes Latinae Level I

Science: 1. Spectrum Science Grade 5
2. TOPS Electricity; Corn & Beans; Earth, Moon, & Sun

Faith: 1. St. Joseph Baltimore Catechism No. 2
2. Bible Story Library

Math: Art of Problem Solving: Number Theory, Counting & Probability, Geometry

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 3

Math-CLE 500 series+tutoring if necessary

English- Easy Grammar 6 or R&S 5 (we have R&S and she can view EG beforehand...I'll let her choose), lit reading assigningments and family read alouds TBD (I like MP lists for her), intro to written narrations (we are a year "behind" with this, but she is competent at oral narrations now and has done okay with creative writing this year), R&S Spelling 6.  I liked R&S 6 for older ds, but I think it will overwhelm her.  I may save R&S 6 for her 7th grade year. 

She is doing  BJU DL Heritage Studies 5 this year and loves the teacher.  So next year she will likely do BJU DL Science 5 just because it has the same teacher and she liked the sample video. We just couldn't squeeze in a full science video course in addition to the online history course this year being out and about quite a bit.  

Typing-DanceMat typing followed by typing.com

Music-private lessons and band

Art is her hobby...she follows along with lots of online videos.  I kind of wonder if she is going to get on the Bob Ross bandwagon soon and try to follow along with him.  I would love to get her private art lessons or enroll her in a small group class with top notch instruction, but there is only so much time and money.  

Lots of odd and end outside the home stuff-a one day/week full day enrichment program that lightly covers some core subjects and fine arts, regular volunteer at a community program, a community nature program, church activities, etc.....

if only there were time and energy to add in Latin and organized sports!  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have absolutely nothing figured out for my to-be 6th grader.  Almost everything we have done this year has been a struggle.   I feel as though I need to fundamentally rethink what we are doing for his schooling but am currently feeling rather at a loss.

Math: He should be starting AoPS Pre-A (will be done with BA5) but I am not at all sure he is up for it.  

Science;  We have done several TOPS units this year and he disliked them all, especially Electricity.

English: This has gone rather better -- this year we have done a mix of semi-directed lit reading (choose from this shelf) and assorted writing projects.  STEM to Story was a high point, as was creating a book about hamster care.

History: This year we did Ancients,  not sure what to do next year.

Music: This has been our biggest flashpoint this year -- DS is an advanced Suzuki  -- almost to post-Suzuki --cellist and I think the difficulty level of the music he is working is outstripping his emotional capacity to deal with the frustration. I am insisting that we stick with lessons but am allowing him to stop performing group and other 'extras.'

Religious studies/Hebrew: Through local private school.  This has been going well but as always, the schedule is a bear and I wonder if everything else would go better if we weren't so tied to the school schedule ....

DH and I keep debating about whether he would do better in full-time school but it just seems unlikely -- I feel like he needs less structure + more parental attention, not less attention + more structure.  I just can't figure out how to operationalize this, and I must confess that it is wearing me down. 

• Like 1

• Logic: Art of Argument & Discovery of Deduction at CLRC
  • Math: Saxon 8/7
  • Science:
    • Fall: Earth Science 
      • CPO Science Earth Science Middle School 
      • TOPS 23 Rocks and Minerals 
    • Spring: ES Astronomy 
  • History: Middle Ages for the Logic Stage at WTMA
  • Geography: Evan Moor Daily Geography 6
  • Spelling: Vocab from Classical Roots
  • Grammar: Grammar for WTM (1/2 speed)
  • Writing: WWS 2 at WTMA
  • Foreign Language:
    • Latin:  some of the Oxford Latin Course Part 1 at CLRC
    • Spanish: Homeschool Spanish Academy?? 
  • Art & Music
    • HFA Grade 6 – Medieval and Renaissance Art and Music 
    • I'm thinking hard about investing in Atelier 
  • Literature 400-1600: I'm working on this list now
  • PE: swim team
  • Like 2

Math: TT6

Spelling: AAS 7

Writing: Still trying to decide... Either IEW Ancient History Theme or May switch to EIW. Need something she can do independently and something that includes Grammar too! 

Grammar: Also up in the air, but we have enjoyed MP Grammar Recitation 2 this year 

Latin: Finish MP First Form & move on to 2nd 

History: Starting the MOH series as a family, Ancients 

Science: Either God’s Design for Physical World or maybe Science in the Ancient World— Still undecided here too

She does plays, piano practice, and dance. We always find art opportunities too. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Jumping in. (I thought maybe I'd already posted on this thread because I'd liked some of the posts. Guess not!) Teaching the child in front of me.

Math: Abeka Arithmetic 5. Hopefully, starting 6 just over halfway through the school year.
English: Spell to Write & Read, Treasured Conversations (with ds#2), reading on own
Social Studies: Story of the World 4 (with ds#2)
Science: Thinking of letting him & DS#2 loose with Exploration Education. I originally thought I'd have him do an online Earth Science class, but after emailing with the teacher, I'm reconsidering. I think they'd love the hands-on of EE and my ds#2 would love the challenge of the 7th-10th grade projects.
Religion: Baltimore Catechism (section #2) with ??
We'd continue memory work and piano lessons. I'd like to have him continue Latin with Latina Christiana, but I don't have room in my schedule to teach it. Continuing to ponder that. Maybe throw in a map skills workbook at some point if he can do it on his own.

• Like 1

We have a classical/CM approach and try to combine work where we can.  We have three school age girls (next year they will be 11, 8, and 6) plus a little monster, I mean, two year old 😉 For my up and coming 6th (WHAT?!WHEN?!) grade daughter, I have:

Singapore Math 5A and 5B, then Jousting Armadillos, most likely

Bards and Poets I from Cottage Press for LA, stretched to cover the whole year plus a bit more if needed

Apples and Pears for spelling - finishing up the final level in the beginning of the year.  We'll switch to only studied dictation after that, either once or twice a week.

History books to be read and orally narrated/written narration (History Notebook?, not sure yet) twice a week:

• The Book of the Ancient Greeks
  • The Book of the Ancient Romans
  • The Book of the Middle Ages

These are all by Dorothy Mills and it may be too much for one year, so we'll start with Greeks and see how it goes - I may drop Middle Ages and cover two books instead of three if the pace is too fast.

Science:

• Astronomy from Sabbath Mood Homeschool, keeping a Science Journal
  • Blood and Guts (with her two younger sisters and Mom), keeping a Science Journal
  • Botany from Sabbath Mood Homeschool, keeping a Science Journal
  • Nature Journals all together

Mythology:

• Legends from FairyLand
  • The Golden Fleece by Colum
  • The Children's Homer by Colum

Literature

• Unknown to History, with oral narration and one weekly written narration (possibly a "creative" option)
  • Kim (with younger sisters and Mom), oral narration and one weekly written narration(possibly a "creative" option

Geography:

• Haliburton's Book of Marvels, Occident (with younger sisters and Mom), weekly mapwork and her choice of oral or written narration
  • The Book of Discovery (just one chapter a week, with oral narration and weekly mapwork)

Plutarch once a week, but probably not all year, with younger sisters and Mom, oral narration

Latin for Children Primer A will finish up and she'll start B.

Art lesson once a week, all together

Music lesson once a week, with Mom

Shakespeare all year all together, because we love him , plays to be decided🙂

Weekly poetry tea time, all together

Commonplace book entry several times a week

Picture Study weekly, all together

Handicrafts as we have time, both together and individually - cross stitching, embroidery, painting, drawing, clay sculpture, origami, possibly calligraphy, sewing projects

Memory Work - right now, all poetry and Shakespeare, some together, others for each child individually.

I can't wait for next year!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Twin 6th graders in the fall. How did they get this old?! 

BYL 7 (world geography & cultures) will cover reading, history, geography, art, etc. Really excited about this! 

ELA: some IEW themed writing course, currently leaning toward Narnia volume 1, plus IEW fix-it, level 2, and some additional copywork, dictation, and writing through BYL and science 

DS's math: finishing Beast Academy 5 (probably by Halloween?) and then he'll probably try AOPS pre-algebra 

DD's math: finishing Math Mammoth 6 (again, probably by Halloween) and then probably MM 7 for pre-algebra

Science: Elemental logic stage chemistry 

Enrichment co-op on Tuesdays, whatever is offered that appeals to them 

Other: piano lessons for both, maybe children's choir at church, taekwondo for him, tumbling for her, and 6th grade is confirmation year in our church, so they'll have religion classes for that in the winter & spring

Edited by craftyerin
  • Like 2

I need to decide between two paths. Option A is to use Bookshark 8 history and science over two years, with K12's Human Odyssey. Option B is to do unit studies for a year and then use Bookshark 8 for 7th grade. I have Bookshark 100 already for 8th grade.

Option A would be easier in some ways. This year, we did most of Bookshark 7 history but then diverged halfway through SOTW 4 to do a lot more in-depth study of WWI and WWII. We did Holt Earth Science this year and are racing through Bookshark science 7. So we would be in a good position to do Bookshark 8, except the stretching it out & adding resources part is a pain. And it goes right into physical science, while I had planned on doing life science next year.

Option B is to spend a year doing unit studies and then do Bookshark 8 in 7th grade. I have a LOT of resources and we could do some really fun stuff! Potential resources if we don't use Bookshark next year:

Social Studies

• British History (SYRWTL History 1-3)
  • History of other places we travel to (we are living in Europe)
  • World Religions

Science

• Holt Sci & Tech Life Science
  • Ellen McHenry units (I have most of them) - I might include other students with these
  • Health & Fitness

LA

• British Literature w/ guides
  • Excavating English
  • Adventures in Fantasy or NaNoWriMo for creative writing
  • Writing & Rhetoric 1-3
  • Hot Fudge Monday?
  • Writing Club

Either way, Math will be Math in Focus C3 (8) and then on to Algebra. And we'll keep doing book club.

I think I'm leaning towards Option B, even though it is a lot of work on my part to schedule and pace.

• Like 2

Math

MCP 

Life of Fred

Language Arts

Hillside's Intermediate Language Arts

Kolbe's Cursive

Booklist tbd

Science

Kolbe Harcourt Science

Stratton Home Science Adventures

History

tbd

Religion

Baltimore catechism

Art

Art with a Purpose

OLVS's God's Magnificant Garden

Extracurricular

Flute

Iceskating

Swimming

Hiking

• Like 1

On 2/5/2019 at 3:00 PM, mykidsrmyjoy said:

Oldest DD will be starting 6th grade. My baby's growing up! 😢

Bible-PAC Running the Race (she's doing the 5th grade book, Possessing the Land, right now and really enjoys it), SCM Scripture memory system, devotions with Daddy, personal Bible reading

Hymn Study-Mr. Pipes books, Then Sings My Soul

Poetry-undecided

Art-I reeeeally want to use Creating a Masterpiece but have another art program sitting on the shelf that she ought to finish first. We'll see...

Math-CLE Math 600 

Grammar-CLE L.A. 600 or CAP Well-Ordered Language or ??? We've used CLE since 1st grade but it seems like she could use some more review on some of the basics. I also really want to focus on writing this year so we may have an easier year of grammar review. 

Writing-IEW Not sure where to start with this but want to look at it at convention next month. 

History-Notgrass America the Beautiful or Master Book's American Story or ???

Science-God's Design or BJU or ???

Piano Lessons

Made lots of changes over the last few weeks. Here's the updated plan:

Bible-CAP God's Great Covenant NT 1, SCM Scripture memory work

Math-BJU 5 w/ DVDs

Writing-IEW US history writing lessons

Grammar-CAP WOL 1 (she'll do this with her younger sister; she needs a really good year of review, I think)

History/Geography/Reading-Sonlight D

Science-God's Design for Life

Piano lessons, art lessons, care of her pets, cooking, etc  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My first sixth grader! I'm late to this party, but here is the plan for DD so far:

Math - Finish BA 5, then move into AOPS Pre-Algebra.

Writing - Continue with IEW theme based writing, probably the first Narnia book.

Grammar - KISS or IEW grammar. She seems to be doing really well with KISS, so I hate to rock the boat, but IEW seems to have stuff we have not covered yet.

Spelling - AAS 5. Spelling is definitely not her strongest subject.

Reading - I need to come up with a good booklist still. Not sure if I should tie books into content subjects or not.

Science - Guest Hollow Botany. She chose botany, so we will try this. We attempted ES Logic Biology this year, and it was a big flop with the encyclopedia reading. Live and learn.

History - Notgrass America the Beautiful. We started with it this year, and ran down so many rabbit trails that we did not get very far, but she really likes it as a spine.

Geography - Trail Guide to the US. She loves maps, and this will tie in nicely with history.

Latin - Great Latin Adventure. This fell to the wayside this year, though she did keep up with the flashcards. Need to get back at it.

Logic - Logic Liftoff, Orbiting with Logic, and maybe Fallacy Detective, depending on how fast she moves through the first two.

Music - Fiddle Lessons and A Young Scholar's Guide to Composers. Again, we started this and didn't get too far because there are so many composers to listen and learn about.

Health - ? I always struggle with this one. Ideas welcome.

Art - She loves art, but it tends to get put off for more academic subjects. I'll try to be better about it.

Typing - I think she will like Burning Cargo.

Bible - Not sure yet.

PE - Debating spending the money on a YMCA membership. They have homeschool gym and swim lessons every week. The only concerns are cost and distance.

Am I missing something? Too much?

• Like 1

Math--MM topical (the plan is to bridge US edition of Singapore 5 to Singapore Dimensions 7)

Language Arts--Mosdos Press plus some novels (may not hit every Mosdos unit), Wordsmith (probably just parts), Sequential Spelling, MCT Voyage/Daily Grams

History--Uncle Sam and You minus the literature component; family trip to Washington DC

Science--Ellen McHenry Cells and ? (Botany or Protozoa) or side reading instead of another science unit; maybe turn some writing instruction into science reports/projects

Miscellaneous--Something from the Lamb's Book of Art publisher/Draw Write Now (Medieval) for art; full year homeschool band (percussion or maybe start clarinet), partial year choir, piano lessons, possibly private swim lessons (we need adaptive PE due to mobility issues and medical limitations--ideas welcome), Awana, speech and occupational therapy

• Like 1

On 2/18/2019 at 7:08 PM, CAtoVA said:

Math: Not sure yet. This year we are doing Singapore Primary Standards 5A & 5B along with Beast Academy 4 and 5.  I have not decided if I should continue with Singapore 6 or do their Dimensions program or maybe switch to a Pre-Algebra program such as AOPS or Jousting Armadillos.

I think I will have her do a combo of (many aspects of) Math Mammoth 7 along with Singapore Dimensions 6 next year. I looked at the Table of Contents in both programs and they seem to complement each other without too much overlap. My reasoning for the combo of both programs is that if want to switch away from Dimensions after Level 6, my DD will still be ready to start an Algebra 1 curriculum because of the material in MM 7. She really likes math so we'll see how this goes.

UGH! Changed my mind again! I think it will actually be Singapore Primary Standards 6A & 6B along with Math Mammoth topical (Pre-Algebra grade 7) to fill in and reinforce anything that needs it. We also will be doing some of Beast Academy Level 5 this summer and finish it next year. The plan is still to start Algebra 1 next year. It just looked like Dimensions 6 wasn't "beefy" enough as a Pre-Algebra text (for example, no negative number work ??)

Language Arts:

Handwriting-- Zaner Bloser Handwriting (Cursive) 7/8

Vocabulary--Vocabulary from Classical Roots 6 & Maybe Vocabulit or Sadlier.

Spelling: Continuing with Megawords (Books 3 & 4). Spelling is a weakness and a frustration for her unfortunately, but Megawords has led to huge progress..

Grammar: Well Ordered Language 3A & B, and 4A & 4B ; Jensen's Punctuation. Parts of Analytical Grammar.  My DD loves diagramming sentences so definitely we will continue with that.

Composition: IEW SWI B, IEW Theme Books (probably Ancient History), Start Writing with Skill Level 1, Kilgallon sentence composing books (a big hit with my DD!) Writing for history and literature with a focus on responding to prompts and five paragraph essays.

Literature: Novels with Discussion using Novel Guides/Teaching with the Classics/Progeny Press; Short Stories from Lovin Lit on Teacherspayteachers; Poetry Study using various resources including Grammar of Poetry, Progeny Press guide and Lovin Lit resources;  Possibly K12 English 8 self-paced.

ADDED: Potentially a monthly/bimonthly Book Club for 10-12 yo old girls that will meet at my house. If not a Book Club at my house, I am looking at 1-3 months of a Bravewriter Book Club; I'm just waiting on the book selections for 2019-2020.

Science: Chemistry & Physics but I'm not sure how this will happen yet. Maybe Mr. Q. I already have Masterbooks units on Matter, Chemistry, etc. and Nancy Larson Science Units. There will be experiments and hands-on. I signed her up for a semester long online class called Pre-Chemistry (Chemistry for middle school) with My Fun Science . If it works out well, she will take Pre-Physics in the spring. My DD  is VERY excited about this!

History: Ancients with a variety of sources including the Tapestry of Grace literature reading list. She is very excited to start studying Ancient History!

Geography: Maybe Memoria Press Geography II, not sure yet. Likely at least one continent study using Prentice Hall World Studies textbooks as a spine and adding in documentaries and trade books.

Foreign Language: She has been begging me to start French so she may take French for Middle School (French I) at our homeschool co-op .  Signed her up for Middle School French at our homeschool co-op.

Fine Arts: Continue with Ballet and Tap, add Contemporary dance; continue with audition choir; continue with piano lessons; studio and history of art class at homeschool co-op

Physical Education: Dance (5+ hours per week), swimming, horseback riding

Made some changes ahead of my homeschool convention next month!!

Edited by CAtoVA
  • Like 1

Finally ready to write up a plan!

Language Arts:  

Soaring w/ Spelling

Growing w/ Grammar

Word Roots

Various books I pick- try for one novel a month, read, discuss, and a writing assignment

Writing- mom-made mash-up!

Math:

Saxon 8/7 - possibly some MM sections if we need to stop and focus on a few topics

Science:

RSO Bio 2 as a base, adding various Interactive Note booking materials and a few extra books, plus many videos on-line from HHMI BioInteractive

History:

World History- to about 1600 - various sources, mom-made, adding videos, mapwork, and extra books.   Planning on some History pockets, notebooking, ect.

Extras- typing 2x per week, Lego Robotics, 2x monthly co-op

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm constantly debating holding this kid back a grade. He's generally been doing the same as his younger brother (1 year younger) and aside from math I think it'll stay that way.

Math - Math Mammoth? We might give Teaching Textbooks a try this year.

Language Arts

Spelling - Spelling Workout?

Grammar - Editor in Chief 1

Reading - 

Writing - Writing Strands 3 & 4? Writing & Rhetoric? WWE 4?

Vocab - Vocabulary From Classical Roots 5 & 6

Handwriting - Canadian Handwriting E

Typing - Typesy? Epistory?

Group Subjects

Canadian History (Year 1 of 2)

Modern History (SOTW 4)

Mystery Science

Mr. Q Chemistry

Get Started With French/CAP French for Children/DuoLingo

Still working...

Edited by AsgardCA
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

So glad I finally found this thread! I’m following. DS (my oldest, and hence the trailblazer) is beginning 6th in the fall and while I’m largely happy with how my plans are pulling together, nothing is on paper yet.  Hoping to get my new laptop up and running (old one died a year ago), so I can type up my planner and make it all “official.”

He’s my highly creative and deep-thinking but learning challenged guy (dyslexia, dyscalculia) so my constant battle is balancing all that. He’s reading beautifully now, and loves it, so my primary LA focus has shifted to spelling this past year and we will keep prioritizing that. Math gains in the last year have been encouraging too, but he’s still got a long way to go to be at grade level, so that takes priority too. He LOVES creative writing so I’ve enrolled him in another Creative Journeys class, but otherwise writing this year will simply be more narration. (I’ve been tempted by IEW mini-coops in our circles, but.... Math! Spelling! Priorities! I  think the IEW would suck us away from what he really needs to be doing, and not benefit him a lot this year as he is already a confident writer).  He does need more physical activity and community than he used to, so I’m looking at a Y membership (New England winters are looooong), and while drilling home the math and spelling, I’m also trying to leave room to feed his insatiable appetite for content.  Theology, politics, literature, science...he’s actually begging for lectures over dinner. It’s great stuff but I’m not sure how to balance it all.

Once I’m no longer pecking away at a mobile device, I’ll try to list off my thoughts on curriculum. For now, off to the garden center. 🌸

• Like 3

On 4/10/2019 at 8:49 PM, ondreeuh said:

I need to decide between two paths. Option A is to use Bookshark 8 history and science over two years, with K12's Human Odyssey. Option B is to do unit studies for a year and then use Bookshark 8 for 7th grade. I have Bookshark 100 already for 8th grade.

Option A would be easier in some ways. This year, we did most of Bookshark 7 history but then diverged halfway through SOTW 4 to do a lot more in-depth study of WWI and WWII. We did Holt Earth Science this year and are racing through Bookshark science 7. So we would be in a good position to do Bookshark 8, except the stretching it out & adding resources part is a pain. And it goes right into physical science, while I had planned on doing life science next year.

Option B is to spend a year doing unit studies and then do Bookshark 8 in 7th grade. I have a LOT of resources and we could do some really fun stuff! Potential resources if we don't use Bookshark next year:

Social Studies

• British History (SYRWTL History 1-3)
  • History of other places we travel to (we are living in Europe)
  • World Religions

Science

• Holt Sci & Tech Life Science
  • Ellen McHenry units (I have most of them) - I might include other students with these
  • Health & Fitness

LA

• British Literature w/ guides
  • Excavating English
  • Adventures in Fantasy or NaNoWriMo for creative writing
  • Writing & Rhetoric 1-3
  • Hot Fudge Monday?
  • Writing Club

Either way, Math will be Math in Focus C3 (8) and then on to Algebra. And we'll keep doing book club.

I think I'm leaning towards Option B, even though it is a lot of work on my part to schedule and pace.

I saw this thread and thought I would update 🙂

We started our school year last week, as we school year-round and travel a lot. I am mostly doing Option B. Most things will go year-round, but I will have a sequence of unit studies.

Unit Study: currently health & fitness, then probably world religions, philosophy, something like that

Science: Holt Science & Technology Life Science

Math: Math in Focus, Course 3 (our final level! We're both sad about moving on)

History: British History using various resources, including BBC documentaries, SYRWTL history, and field trips to England!

LA: Voyages in English 7 for grammar and writing, Vocabulary in Action for vocab

Literature: lit units, not really tied to history. Mostly Novel-Ties, Rigorous Reading, and Teacher-Created Resources.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ondreeuh said:

I saw this thread and thought I would update 🙂

We started our school year last week, as we school year-round and travel a lot. I am mostly doing Option B. Most things will go year-round, but I will have a sequence of unit studies.

Unit Study: currently health & fitness, then probably world religions, philosophy, something like that

Science: Holt Science & Technology Life Science

Math: Math in Focus, Course 3 (our final level! We're both sad about moving on)

History: British History using various resources, including BBC documentaries, SYRWTL history, and field trips to England!

LA: Voyages in English 7 for grammar and writing, Vocabulary in Action for vocab

Literature: lit units, not really tied to history. Mostly Novel-Ties, Rigorous Reading, and Teacher-Created Resources.

Would love to to hear more about your experience with the MIF courses. We’ve used MIF for all our kids since grade 1, and really like it (though DS is taking the slow route due to dyscalculia and lots of supplemental work... my goal is to complete 5 with him by Aug 2020).  It sounds like Courses 1 and 2 have been a good fit for your son. Pros? Cons? Plans after Course 3? 

On 7/13/2019 at 3:48 PM, lots of little ducklings said:

Would love to to hear more about your experience with the MIF courses. We’ve used MIF for all our kids since grade 1, and really like it (though DS is taking the slow route due to dyscalculia and lots of supplemental work... my goal is to complete 5 with him by Aug 2020).  It sounds like Courses 1 and 2 have been a good fit for your son. Pros? Cons? Plans after Course 3? 

We have loved MIF since 1A 🙂. Along the way we have supplemented with Beast Academy, Zaccaro, and 70 Must-Know Word Problems, etc, but we have done all of MIF too. We also always use Math Minutes for "review & preview" since MIF is somewhat topical. I would say that's the only con of MIF - it could really use a supplemental review book, especially the B book content (statistics, geometry) since that isn't really reviewed in the A books. 

Courses 1 & 2 were an awesome fit, and Course 3 seems to be just as good. The number of problems is just right (we use the practice workbook instead of the textbook problems- they are completely interchangeable). I teach from the TM and have him show me he can do the guided practice problems before I hand him the workbook. I generally use the pacing in the TM, but I sometimes combine days. Like we never use two days for a chapter opener - it's either one day or we combine it with the first lesson. I still have more Zaccaro books to use. I might supplement with alcumus if my kiddo is interested. He liked BA, but I'm not sure if AOPS is going to suit him.

After Course 3 we will move on to some Algebra course, but I expect to be able to go through it pretty quickly unless we use AOPS. There is a lot of Algebra in C3 and the texts I have (Dolciani, Foerster, Jacobs, Holt ...) don't look like much of a step up. I love teaching MIF, and I'm sad about switching to a visually dry book. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2019 at 4:13 PM, ondreeuh said:

We have loved MIF since 1A 🙂. Along the way we have supplemented with Beast Academy, Zaccaro, and 70 Must-Know Word Problems, etc, but we have done all of MIF too. We also always use Math Minutes for "review & preview" since MIF is somewhat topical. I would say that's the only con of MIF - it could really use a supplemental review book, especially the B book content (statistics, geometry) since that isn't really reviewed in the A books. 

Courses 1 & 2 were an awesome fit, and Course 3 seems to be just as good. The number of problems is just right (we use the practice workbook instead of the textbook problems- they are completely interchangeable). I teach from the TM and have him show me he can do the guided practice problems before I hand him the workbook. I generally use the pacing in the TM, but I sometimes combine days. Like we never use two days for a chapter opener - it's either one day or we combine it with the first lesson. I still have more Zaccaro books to use. I might supplement with alcumus if my kiddo is interested. He liked BA, but I'm not sure if AOPS is going to suit him.

After Course 3 we will move on to some Algebra course, but I expect to be able to go through it pretty quickly unless we use AOPS. There is a lot of Algebra in C3 and the texts I have (Dolciani, Foerster, Jacobs, Holt ...) don't look like much of a step up. I love teaching MIF, and I'm sad about switching to a visually dry book. 

Thank you so much for such a thorough reply!  I'm back from vacation now and prepping for next year.  This has given me much more confidence in my plans to continue with MIF. 

With the older kids working harvest with their Dad the entire month of August, the house is very quiet! Must be back to school time for DS! I'm actually excited to get started with the full schedule. Summers are very busy on the farm, but I enjoy having a routine and knocking out some school work while things are relatively quiet in the house. Plus we hope to travel over the winter for a bit, so good to start early. Have a great year everyone! 

DAILY

Math - Math Mammoth 7

Writing - Writing With Skill - Level 1

Vocab - Lively Latin 2 / Caesar’s English II

Piano - daily practice

PE - 30 - 60 Min daily activity - soccer, biking, running, swimming

M W F

Geography - Daily Practice Gr. 6 (T), Skill Sharpeners Gr. 6 (TH)

Grammar - Grammar for the Well Trained Mind

Spanish - Fluenz

Science - CPO Life Science, month long microscope study, Botony in a Day, End of year science project.

T TH

History Odyssey Level 2 - Middle Ages

Spelling Workout - Level G

Cursive - Pentime 5 & 6

Artistic Pursuits - Sculpture Technique - Construct

Edited by SaDonna
  • Like 1

On 2/20/2019 at 1:51 PM, SilverMoon said:

My fifth kiddo will be sixth grade this fall but I haven't given planning any brain effort yet. I'm totally making this up as I type. 🤐 The current school year has been a rocky road aside from the actual school, and we've done a lot more flying by the seat of our pants than normal. 

Grammar: R&S English and/or Fix It, we've bounced between them this year and it's working, I think **Since this was posted I made her do Junior Analytical Grammar in a "look kid, there's only 8 bloomin' parts of speech, why are you acting like it's rocket science"  move. We did the first unit aloud in 10 minutes. If she'll give it a good go I'll give her beloved Fix It back. 😂

Lit: pile of really good books of various genres, lengths, and difficulties for her to read and discuss 

Spelling, R&S 6 or a fast track through Writing Road to Reading, her choice (she's a decent speller, but not quite ready to be done with the separate subject)

Writing: um.....

History: probably Middle Ages, Oxford books, loads of real books, movies, etc.

Science: Guesthollow's free chemistry? 

Spanish: yes, something

Bible: continue in the God's Great Covenant series **Well... I think she's out-maturing this one. She finished this year's early and she's contentedly notebooking through Training Hearts Teaching Minds for now.

**added April 9

I'm thinking about putting her in Adventures in the Sea and Sky with her little brother or Further Up and Further In by herself. These would replace history, science, and bits of the above. 

*shrug* I got nothin'. Back to scratch. 

Update for August. This summer! And this child. Can't decide if I should laugh or cry. 🤣

• Like 2