Menu

Mold removal question

Nemom

We have mold growing in the window above the shower in the main bathroom. We tried removing it ourselves last year. Husband removed the drywall, applied Kilz and repainted. I also replaced the ceiling fan in case it wasn't working properly. The mold is back. Worse and now on the ceiling too. I am going to call a professional this time.

If you have had mold removed before would you please share your experiences with me. I'm getting the feeling that is going to be a lot more expensive than I thought. I want to make sure I am asking the right questions and that we get everything done correctly this time.

We do suspect it is affecting my daughter's health.  Thanks! 

Edited by Nemom

haven't had this, but have watched it on home remodel shows.  

it will be tested, and they will strip everything back to find out where it is coming from.   it was likely a much wider area than you attempted to remediate  yourself.  it's usually behind the drywall.  they have to seal everything off from the rest of the area, rip out all affected drywall then treat the area before things can start being put back together.  they are wearing bunny suits and face masks with respirators.  

you will probably need to get an experienced contractor to help figure out the cause, so it doesn't come back after it's removed.

PSA: White vinegar works better than bleach, etc. If you are at point where you know you've got a little surface mold and are pretty sure you know how it got there, that can be all you need. Spraying it on is very effective--with the small amounts of surface mold we've had, we spray the vinegar, wait a few minutes, and soon, the mold is running down the wall. Wipe, and it's gone, and it doesn't come back if the reason for the mold is fixed. 

PSA 2: Just because you are going to place a sink or a mirror (or kitchen cabinet) there, it doesn't mean that drywall doesn't need to be painted first...it's much easier to wipe a little mold off of a painted wall when you find it behind or under the sink than to have all the paper come off of the bare drywall when you spray the surface mold. Spills happen. 

Make sure you’re 100% certain of the cause before putting back walls!!!  If you just replace the damaged area, whatever is causing the damage will continue to do so....

Dh manages a company that consults in this field, usually to keep contractors in line.  It does tend to be expensive. If a company offers to do it on the cheap, be very skeptical!

27 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

Make sure you’re 100% certain of the cause before putting back walls!!!  If you just replace the damaged area, whatever is causing the damage will continue to do so....

Dh manages a company that consults in this field, usually to keep contractors in line.  It does tend to be expensive. If a company offers to do it on the cheap, be very skeptical!

There is to much moisture from taking showers. There is a small transom window above the shower that is set in a ledge that is about three inches wide. Water just sits on the ledge. I think we will put tile in rather than drywall but the ledge will still be there and need to be wiped down after showers. I'm thinking I'm not going to have much luck getting the teenagers to do that. 🙄

15 minutes ago, Nemom said:

There is to much moisture from taking showers. There is a small transom window above the shower that is set in a ledge that is about three inches wide. Water just sits on the ledge. I think we will put tile in rather than drywall but the ledge will still be there and need to be wiped down after showers. I'm thinking I'm not going to have much luck getting the teenagers to do that. 🙄

When you're putting things back together, you can frame that ledge with just enough slope for all of the water to drain off it; then tile it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1