Menu

What's with the ads?

Slache

2019-2020 3rd Grade

Bible: Explorer's Bible Study New Testament, continuing Training Hearts, Teaching Minds, maybe Singing The Great Hymns
Content: A homemade world geography study with map making, missionaries, inventors, culture, animals and habitats with his sister, MP Astronomy by himself
Math: Strayer-Upton
Language Arts: Typing, Step by Step for Spanish grammar, RLTL for English Spelling, IEW, Brave Writer and NaNoWriMo for writing in both, wine for me
Foreign Language: Nihongoshark, Elementary Greek II with supplements
The Arts: Singing Made Easy, God and The History of Art, Piano

Other Pursuits:

• Upping his chore responsibilities and cooking
  • Running
  • More Spanish in the home (maybe an assigned time slot of Spanish only? or Spanish days?)
  • Only ASL in the car
  • Replacing family movie night with an old TV show and board games
  • Top bunk read aloud time (everyone in the top bunk while I read Narnia!)
  • Like 3

My second son will be in 3rd next year.

He just started Math Mammoth 5, so he will finish that sometime next year and then we will work through the Hands on Equations word problem book.  He will continue to supplement with Xtramath, Singapore Challenging Word Problems and Beast Academy.

He will read from his literature list and write a sentence narration for every chapter.  I am also considering starting a "Book Club" where he, his older brother, and I all independently read a book at the same time and then discuss it.  For fun we might read through some of the MCT Island books; I really like the vocabulary and poetics especially.

He will listen to lots of audiobooks and read alouds.

For handwriting he will continue with Universal Handwriting, plus dictation in various subjects.

He will continue to work through AAS (finish 2, start 3) and WWE 3.  He will also probably do some IEW writing...he is currently completing SWI-A, so maybe a theme unit next year?

Next year all the kids will be studying anatomy.  The 3rd and 5th grader will be working through Mr. Q Advanced Anatomy...though I am aiming for exposure, not mastery, because it includes A LOT of vocabulary.  All the kids will also work through The Body Book just for fun and reinforcement.

History next year will be SOTW 4 plus some of The Complete Book of United States History.

Next year I will be attempting our very first "All Kids Together" subject (with Pre-K, 1st, 3rd, 5th).  We are going to be making some lap books as we learn about some countries around the world.

He will continue in his weekly Spanish immersion class.  I also supplement that a lot with extra reading, writing and conversation practice.

He will also continue his art, gym and swimming classes.  Oh, and he has really been enjoying and learning a ton from Kids Cook Really Food, so he will continue that next year as well. 

He will use either Typing.com or TypingClub.com and Playground Sessions piano lessons.

Edited by wendyroo
  • Like 1

My second, dd8, will be in 3rd next year.

Math: BA 4/5. I'm not sure how far she'll get through 4 by then (she's on 4a now). She also uses and love BA Online, which I use as a review and let her just do whatever topic she likes. She also does Xtra Math for math fact practice. 

Language Arts: CAP W&R, Killgallon resources, FLL4, AAS 4/5

Latin: GSWL

Science: unschooling, library, kits, Mystery Science

History: unschooling, library, National Mythology Exam

Literature: list of my own making and audiobooks

Piano: Hoffman Academy

Typing: Typing Club

Religion: Book of Mormon reading individually and Come Follow Me for New Testament as a family. 

Edited by MeaganS
  • Like 1

For my daughter who will be 2nd/3rd grade age (her birthday is either right before or right after the cut-off for local schools depending on the district) I have tentatively planned:

Math: Keep rolling with Singapore most likely wrapping up 4b and moving on from there as she needs, Prodigy, and games to keep facts fresh

LA: Keep plugging along with AAR and AAS (probably wrapping up 3 and making a good dent in 4 for the former and finishing up 2 and starting 3 with the former), Bravewriter Partnership Writing, readings to go along with history and geography, HWOT, Growing with Grammar 3, and possibly Writing & Rhetoric Fables

Science: Ellen McHenry The Elements, classes at the local zoo and natural history museum, Mystery Science, and interest led activities

History: SOTW 3 with activity book 

Geography: BYL 0 with her little brother

Music, art, and PE: local classes

I clicked in and realized 3rd grade is the only elementary grade I'm NOT teaching next year.

I'll have a 1, 2, 4, 5, and two 6's.  🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

For my 2nd/3rd grader (according to age should be 2nd grade, but she had been eager to 'start school' a year early and I let her call that kindergarten, and she knew 1st grade came next, and thus, here we are going into '3rd grade').

Math: Wherever we are in Singapore, my guess is we will be somewhere in 4a at the start of the school year. Have found this year that using the Intensive Practice books instead of regular workbooks work well for her.

Science: Real Science Odyssey Chemistry

History: ~1600s to ~~1850. Usborne Book of World History as a spine with a ton of supplements. Have been building my list of biographies for her to read (a lot of Who Was....), Classic Starts of some classical literature from the time period (we do a combination of some abridged for children versions and some full versions), nonfiction about events during the time period, and activities for us to do. A field trip to Colonial Williamsburg tentatively in the works (crossing fingers).

Language Arts: English Lessons Through Literature C plus Spelling work out C & D (starting C this year, will finish it next and start D). Her independent reading list will comprise of some bios for history, a few classic starts, and a few other quality children's literature (I like the book lists here: https://www.mensaforkids.org/achieve/excellence-in-reading/excellence-in-reading-k-3-list/ and https://www.mensaforkids.org/achieve/excellence-in-reading/excellence-in-reading-4-6-list/ for ideas)

Foreign language: Continue to work on heritage language with Skype tutor. Continue to work on French with Rosetta Stone for an intro)

Typing: Still looking....

Religion: Haven't put it together yet. 

6 hours ago, Coco_Clark said:

I clicked in and realized 3rd grade is the only elementary grade I'm NOT teaching next year.

I'll have a 1, 2, 4, 5, and two 6's.  🤣

You're my hero.😂

Son #2 will be in 3rd grade next year. So far my plan is:

Math: Math Mammoth 3. It's still working for him so I'm going by the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mindset. 

Grammar: FLL 2

Writing: CAP: Fable plus bits of narration/diction/copy work in other areas

Handwriting: Pen Time 

Spelling: ??? No. Clue. I haven't done any formal spelling with him yet. He needs a different approach than his older brother (who loves workbooks) and I've got AAS1 sitting on my shelves so maybe I'll just use that?

Reading: his reading has grown by leaps and bounds this past year and I'm so proud of him. He has the fluency and now he just needs the confidence to go with it. I think I'm going to put together a couple lists of books - some more "on level/challenging" ones for us to read together and some easier, fun ones for him to read by himself. 

History/Geography: We're doing a year of US History and Geography as a family.

Science: Mr Q Earth Science

Other: Field trips and art classes with our homeschool group, typing, plus read alouds and a general art/music study as a family.

We've got a lot of stuff happening in the next 3-6 months (new baby, moving etc) so my mantra for the rest of this year and all of next is "Keep it simple. Cut out the busywork. Don't overthink it."

Hard to think about next year yet!

My rising third grader seems little to me, as he's the fourth child.  Next year is the first year I need to do a portfolio for him because he turns 8 this summer.

Maybe I will try WWE2 with him.

Math -- he loves math and loves Singapore 2, so I'll probably continue Singapore with him.

Reading -- he got tired of OPGTTR and has been reading from real books.  I guess I will keep continuing with that.  

Handwriting -- don't know yet.  I could mix in the copywork and maybe dictations from WWE2.  If he's ready, we can start HWOT cursive.

Science -- This year we have really enjoyed nature study, so we will probably do that again.  We've also just been doing a lot of reading of science books.  I have purchased a couple of REAL Science Odyssey books and haven't really stuck with them, so I don't know that I'm going to do a formal program.  I did hear that they want to learn about rocks.

History/Geography -- Ancients is up on the schedule.  SOTW 1 for him and his younger brother.

No idea about anything else.  It'll depend partly on whether our homeschool group offers a co-op, and if so, what the options are.  He need some art.

He has been offered martial arts with his older siblings but has declined.  

My dd will be in third.  Our plan is mostly a continuation of this year:

CLE Math 4 with Fan math problem solving, MBTP LA 8-10, R&S spelling 4, Finish 2nd half of daily grams 3 (we started it this year at half speed), Hoffman Academy

her only new thing will be different science:  I think we will try MP Mammals plus a stack of trade books from the library

Joining siblings for the same things as this year: Story of Civilization 2, CCMemory Beta, MP Art Cards, Home Art Studio 3, Virtues in Practice (year of hope)

We just started 3rd. My son is doing Beast academy for maths (finishing level 2, starting 3), wwe (again, finishing 2 starting 3), grammar island, spelling power, duolingo Russian. He's working his way through a literature book list and continuing violin lessons. 

We do bible, history, science, art etc all together.

Keeping it simple.

My daughter will start 3rd grade this August. I already have my plan in place, mostly because I know what works for her, but also because Memoria Press has free shipping in February. 😉

Latin : latter 2/3 of Latina Christiana 

Grammar : FLL 3

Compression : IEW's All Things Fun and Facinating  (because it's on MP's 3rd grade list)

Spelling : Spelling Workout D 

Cursive : Pentime 4, mostly because she loves it

Math : Math Mammoth 4

Geography : Daily Geography 3 (and 4?), reviewing US States and Capitals 

MP for Literature, History (Greek Myths), and Science (Mammals)

Religion : MP's Christian Studies II, Faith and Life book 3, Virtues in Practice year 3 - Love

Fine Arts : Artist/Picture Study, Music Appreciation, Piano lessons 

Gymnastics 

• Like 2

This is my third time teaching third grade

Math: Singapore 3, thinking I'll try the Dimensions version next year. Supplement with Beast Academy, finishing up 2 and start 3.

LA: bookshark 2 intermediate and continue rhythm of handwriting

History: bookshark 1

Science: RSO Life

Other: KWOT typing, Bits Box, drawing, swimming

Edited by vaquitita

Bible: Golden Children's Bible, Luther's Small Catechism

Math: Strayer Upton/ Math Mammoth 4 we're using a bit  of both now but don't know which we'll stick with yet

Language Arts: R&S English 3 orally for grammar, MP Intro to Comp 

Spelling: Apples and Pears 2

Literature: MP 3rd grade list and guides, D'Aulaire's Greek Myths

History: Early American biographies 

Science: MP Astronomy

Geography: 50 States and Capitals

Latin: Latina Christiana I

Enrichment Fridays: Rotate poetry, music appreciation and art 

Attempting a MP/Latin Centered Curriculum approach but I'm a hopeless tweaker!

Edited by WoolC
  • Like 1

My 2nd/3rd grader (she's a late August birthday) has asked to homeschool one more year.  We'll see what happens after that, as all the others will be full time in public/college.  So, for my fourth and last time through this grade:

Morning Basket
Math - Beast Academy 3
ELA - LOE Essentials, PLL continued then start W&R Fable half way through the year, maybe MCT Island, literature from SOTW
History - SOTW 1
Science - mom's hodge podge of fun and interesting science 
Other - Artistic Pursuits, Violin, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, weekly one-hour co-op enrichment classes 

Edited by Targhee

I am planning for a couple of 3rd graders next year that couldn't possibly be more different. 

DS1

Rightstart E

Writing and Rhetoric II

TGTB LA 3

Sonlight readers grade 4

Mosdos Opal

Fix It! Nose Tree

Spelling Workout E

Latina Christiana

DS2

TT4

TGTB 3

Mosdos 3

Sonlight Readers grade 3

BJU English 3 interspersed with a few MBTP lit units

Together with siblings:

History: BP3 with SOTW3 as the spine. Geography will be rolled in using various resources

Science: BJU Science 4 with a couple TGTB science units wrapped into the year

Art/music: taken at the umbrella school they attend along with other classes of their choice.

Math – BJU Math 3 DL 

Language Arts – 

MP Literature Guides (completed orally)

MP Introduction to Composition

FLL 3

Spelling Workout C

ZB Cursive

History – Veritas Press Self-Paced Course New Testament, Greece & Rome

Geography – EM Geography Workbook (maybe) and continuing to work through Little Passports + supplementing

Science – Apologia Exploring Creation with Astronomy

P.E. – Twice a month homeschool gym days

Bible - AWANA & Daily Devotions

Song School Latin 1 - He may be considered too young?? BUT he is loving it, so I don't really care.  

Edited by Elizabeth86
  • Like 2

This little guy is half way between many of his levels so it's hard to tell where he will be next year but he will be continuing on with most of what he is doing this year.

Math: Singapore 3 and Beast Academy 3

Language Arts: FLL 3, AAS 3-4, Probably W&R Fable although I have IEW Intensive A that we might use - We need a break from WWE

History/Literature: Tapestry of Grace Year 2 - Upper Grammar

Latin: ??  He's finishing Song School 2 this year.  I'm not sure he's ready for LFC A so I'm looking for a filler.  Any ideas??

Science: We will be ready for an Astronomy and Earth Science year.  Probably following WTM recommendations and notebooking with lots of field trips and star gazing.

Arts:  Home Art Studio and Piano lessons

Continue building typing skills, we may start cursive or give his manuscript more time to mature

On 2/11/2019 at 10:13 AM, Elizabeth86 said:

Math – BJU Math 3 DL – We are VERY content with BJU

Language Arts – I am still all over the place, but here are my thoughts so far

Plan A

ELTL B + Spelling Workout or R&S Spelling + ZB Cursive

Plan B

MP Literature Guides

MP Introduction to Composition

Something for Grammar?

Spelling Workout or R&S Spelling

ZB Cursive

Plan C

MP Literature Guides

Writing & Rhetoric Fables

Something for Grammar?

ZB Cursive

Plan D

MP Literature Guides

BJU English 3

ZB Cursive

Feel free to weigh in!! lol

History – Veritas Press Self-Paced Course New Testament, Greece & Rome

Geography – EM Geography Workbook (maybe) and continuing to work through Little Passports + supplementing

Science – Apologia Exploring Creation with Astronomy

P.E. – Twice a month homeschool gym days and hopefully some swimming lessons this year

I am still thinking what we will or if will do something for bible, character, art, foreign language or anything like that.  I want to do ALL KINDS OF THINGS, but I have 4 kids under 7.  lol I’m barely going to get all the main things done daily.  Sigh.

I dont have anything to help with the all over the place language arts struggles. Just know you aren't the only one. Lol!

• Like 2

We were new to almost all Memoria Press this year, and we will continue with them into 3rd grade.  My 8yo has been a struggling reader, so we just plug along where she is. 🙂  This sweet girl is my 4th 3rd grader!

Math: R&S Math 3

Grammar & Comp: R&S English 3; we might also tuck in MP's Intro to Composition. 

Cursive: Currently doing NAC from MP, but I'm a pretty big HWT fan. I'm not sure where she'll head next year.

Latin: Prima Latina

Spelling: Traditional Spelling II

Reading: Will do last 1/2 of MP 2nd grade Lit, and then move to 3rd Grade Lit

Bible: Christian Studies II with her sisters

History & Geo: She's not ready to start MP's Greek Myths, etc so I think we're going to to American Hx unit study-style from Civil War to present. Undecided as of yet.

Science: Possibly Mammals with her 5th grade sister. Undecided.

I'm trying to decide if I will do the above History and Science or if we will fully do MP 2's Enrichment and call it good.  Any thoughts or advice on that?  I'm all ears!

Reading: shoring up reading skills with a bunch of links from ElizabethB. I haven't mapped it all out yet. 

Spelling: Spelling Workout C

Grammar/Writing: EIW level 3

Handwriting: McRuffy 3rd grade cursive

Math: Math U See Gamma or Math Mammoth 3a and 3b if I decide not to spend the $. 

History: interest led. I'm finally not deluding myself thinking we will stick with a curriculum. 

Science: interest led. We have lots of kits and books. We love playing around with science.

Other: piano at home, monthly field trip, monthly playdate. Swimming lessons. He really wants to do Homeschool PE again, so we'll try to make that happen.

The baby of the family is here. Again I haven't put much thought into it and I'm making this up as I go. 😄

Grammar: continue First Language Lessons 3 and go into 4, none of his siblings made it to 4 but it's been a fabulous match for him. Lots of oral and minimal writing is his jam. 

Spelling: continue in Writing Road to Reading 

Writing: Writing With Ease 2? It's the pencil to paper he needs; he does the questions and narrations blindfolded. 

Reading: pile of really good books in various genres, lengths, and difficulties to read and discuss 

Math: same Horizons/Singapore combo he's using now, and we'll try Beast Academy online

Science: ....crickets,  maybe joining sister for chemistry

History: Story of the World 2, real books, videos, etc (he was due to use it for this year but the whole family randomly fell into US history) 

Spanish: just Duolingo for now, he's doing okay with it and he's not ready for something too serious

• Like 1

Phonics-Alphaphonics for review...Wise Old Owl Guide to Polysyllables.

Reading-Christian Light Reader 3 and lots of chapter books...I will print off various comprehension worksheets to make sure she is comprehending...without having to listen to more narration😉...my brain can only handle so much verbal answering😂.

Spelling-Natural Speller list and a homemade family study of important spelling rules.

Math-tutoring through topics similar to MFW 1st grade, but without any workbooks.  I will use homemade math manipulatives and teach place value, addition and subtraction with regrouping-up to 6 digits and multilayered addition up to 5 places, multiplication facts and basic multiplication of 1 or 2 digits, intoduce division, fractions-adding and subtracting like fractions and comparing them, counting by 2s-10s and 25s, calendar work, graphs, and lots of math and logic games and puzzles.  If I find a workbook under 5 bucks I will add that for seatwork, but overall I will be tutoring, quizzing math facts cold, and writing 10 problems daily for her.

Handwriting-cursive introduction and then copywork of paragraphs in print or sentences in cursive.  Just getting a nice new composition book.

English-Primary Language Lessons 1st semester and Rod and Staff 3 second semester. 

Bible/Science/History/Geography as part of the family studies this year...and is all stuff I already own.

We are continuing reading aloud from the Golden Childrens Bible, Considering Gods Creation for a science focused year...and reading aloud about different cultures and weekly geography quizzing for fun.  I am also reading aloud many classic childrens books as a group😁....all free and on my shelf.

Some things came up this year and need to keep things as inexpensive as possible...I own everything on this list from many years of homeschooling...this year I may not make any purchases outside of my Ker and making activity bags for my preschooler, but they will have a solid experience still in the basics😁.  More one on one tutoring never hurt anyone😉.  

I will keep on the look out at dollar tree for interesting crafting supplies and make her a special box to create with for art...and let her explore using nature in art as well.

Brenda

P.S. I have been homeschooling for a longtime so I have so much on my shelves..so having a low-spend year (100 for all books, supplies, and printables for 6 kiddos) is actually doable...I understand this isn't feasible for others who are tight😉...especially if they haven't homeschooled long...I just wanted to encourage other moms that it is ok to homeschool on a tight budget...just plan well😉 using a scope and sequence.

My next to last 3rd grader....

Math:  R&S 3 (done orally) and Singapore 3 (text and workbook) and finish MEP year 2 ( two to three times a week)

Language Arts:  Finish FLL 2 and then do Second Primary Language Lessons ;   all my boys have enjoyed the Robinson Crusoe themed writing exercises in this book.

Also Rod Staff Spelling 3, and continue with homemade cursive practice. Reading will be whatever works.  I have plenty of books floating around the house. 

History: finish CHOW (oral and written narrations), and begin American Studies: two coloring pages of presidents each week and fill out a fact sheet about each--little bits of history and learning how to find info in books. 

Science: haven't decided yet.  Might be interest led documentary watching and notebooking about it, with focused nature study and notebooking, OR might just be a God's Design book or two with focused nature study and notebooking.  Lots of wiggle room on this.

Lots of outside time, biking, rollerblading, swimming, hiking, and getting muddy.

On 2/12/2019 at 4:42 PM, MamaHill said:

We were new to almost all Memoria Press this year, and we will continue with them into 3rd grade.  My 8yo has been a struggling reader, so we just plug along where she is. 🙂  This sweet girl is my 4th 3rd grader!

Math: R&S Math 3

Grammar & Comp: R&S English 3; we might also tuck in MP's Intro to Composition. 

Cursive: Currently doing NAC from MP, but I'm a pretty big HWT fan. I'm not sure where she'll head next year.

Latin: Prima Latina

Spelling: Traditional Spelling II

Reading: Will do last 1/2 of MP 2nd grade Lit, and then move to 3rd Grade Lit

Bible: Christian Studies II with her sisters

History & Geo: She's not ready to start MP's Greek Myths, etc so I think we're going to to American Hx unit study-style from Civil War to present. Undecided as of yet.

Science: Possibly Mammals with her 5th grade sister. Undecided.

I'm trying to decide if I will do the above History and Science or if we will fully do MP 2's Enrichment and call it good.  Any thoughts or advice on that?  I'm all ears!

I have to give a thumbs up to MP enrichment. I have both the full 2 and 3 cores and the enrichment books. Honestly, the mammal science is more or the same in terms of their typical guides (lots of comp questions and draw a pic stuff) but the enrichment guide is so luscious. You get to read fabulous, high quality picture books with ample oral comp questions and vocab. They then pair it seamlessly with music pieces, art studies and history/science studies. I find it perfect for the 2nd/3rd crowd. I LOVE them. We have an Amazon echo which makes playing the music selections super easy. We did  buy both the art cards and posters because I found hanging up a print each week really helped with card recall and they enjoyed it. 

14 hours ago, Zoo Keeper said:

My next to last 3rd grader....

Math:  R&S 3 (done orally) and Singapore 3 (text and workbook) and finish MEP year 2 ( two to three times a week)

I’m wondering about MEP a year behind Singapore. Are you doing this to create a spiral? DS needed a spiral approach, im not sure yet what this one needs. I’m currently using IP books and pick-and-choose from MEP but both on grade level, and both as supplement because she is in school still. 

3 hours ago, madteaparty said:

I’m wondering about MEP a year behind Singapore. Are you doing this to create a spiral? DS needed a spiral approach, im not sure yet what this one needs. I’m currently using IP books and pick-and-choose from MEP but both on grade level, and both as supplement because she is in school still. 

I didn't set out to make a spiral, but the last half of MEP year 2 has some nice challenging puzzle type problems that make a nice reinforcement of multiplication and division. Don't forget to look in the Teacher's Notes for problems using the copymasters and ones not in the student workbooks,

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Zoo Keeper said:

I didn't set out to make a spiral, but the last half of MEP year 2 has some nice challenging puzzle type problems that make a nice reinforcement of multiplication and division. Don't forget to look in the Teacher's Notes for problems using the copymasters and ones not in the student workbooks,

I need to organize my MEP world. It’s all pages here and pages there....

• Like 1

I feel like we are just now getting into a groove with my 7 year old twins. They will turn 8 July 1 2019 and we will "start" 3rd grade at the end of August, but since we school year round it's more like a technical distinction. In order of my confidence that it is what we will actually attempt to do:

Math:

Singapore Math 3A/3B

Beast Academy 3A-3D with online subscription

Daily Mental Math Grade 3

Additional materials to drill multiplication facts likely (already purchased some from TPT)

History:

The Story of Civilization Volume 2 TAN Press

The Story of the World Volume 2 Peace Hill Press

Famous Figures of Medieval and Renaissance Times

additional picture books, chapter books, and videos from the activity guides and Guest Hollow

Science:

Zoo Homeschool class

Mystery Science

Morning Time:

Brain Quest Trivia cards / Melissa and Doug Smarty Pants trivia cards

Memoria Press Recitation Plans 3rd Grade

Units to cover in the year in 9 week increments: Fairy TalesShakespeare, New Testament, US Geography

STEM:

Scratch Coding Cards

EEME subscription box

OSMO

Religion:

Image of God Grade 3

At the feet of Mary: A Hands on Resource from Catholic Heritage Curricula

Language Arts (SO TORN):

Memoria Press Literature Guides for Grade 2, start Grade 3 (we are about a half a year behind on these, building fluency and confidence)

Catholic Heritage Curricula Handwriting Grade 3 (cursive)

A spelling curriculum (we will have finished AAS Levels 1, 2 - I am torn about going on to do 3 or jumping ship for something new)

Grammar - either continue Growing with Grammar Level 3 OR 

Start Latin with Latina Christiana from Memoria Press and let latin be our grammar for the year

Outside Classes:

Zoo Homeschool Class ( 1x / monthly)

Art Class (weekly)

Homeschool PE (weekly)

maybe add a co-op (weekly) - unsure if I can manage all of the above plus working 30 hours a week and fit in a co-op 😅

Reading - This is my reader.  He reads for hours on end, so I hate to force any type of reading at this point.  I'll probably continue to let him choose chapter books while testing reading comp via ReadTheory.

Spelling - All About Spelling

Writing - IEW's All Things Fun & Fascinating

Math - Either Khan Academy or Math in Focus 3A/3B

Social Studies - Some chapters of Harcourt Horizons Grade 3

Geography - Memoria Press States & Capitals

Science - Unschool/tagging along with his older sister in biology

I'm not sure what he'll do at co-op next year.

Math

MCP

Life of Fred

Language Arts

Hillside's Primary Language Lessons

Kolbe Cursive

Finish Explode the Code series

Booklist tbd

Science

Kolbe Science

Stratton Home Science Adventures kits

History

Five in a Row. Maybe nothing more formal, just a booklist and joining in older kids history stuff.  TBD

Art

Art with a Purpose

Draw Write Now (just the art parts)

Five in  Row

Religion

Baltimore Catechism

Extracurricular

Ice skating

Swimming

Hiking

We use a CM approach, but with Mom's book lists, as opposed to AO or something.  Because I'm picky, mostly. 😉 Here is what I have so far for my going to be third grade girl, who is definitely a young third grade.  I'll be combining her with my soon to be first grader for all content areas.

Math - Math Mammoth for math (working through the topical books right now after dropping RightStart B after 71 lessons - it wasn't sticking in her brain at all; she LOVES these Math Mammoth books and it seems to work a lot better for her), with RightStart games as I can work them in

Language Arts - Primary Language Lessons (mostly the 2nd half), finish Traditional Spelling 2, and finish Dancing Bears C.  Spelling and Bears will end long before the school year does, though, so I need to decide what will be next for her.  I'm thinking Spelling by Sound and Structure would be right up her alley and possibly the upper levels of Explode the Code if I think she needs more phonics practice.  I'll also have her read to me out loud a few times a week, but I'm not sure if I want a leveled resource (I have all of McGuffey's sitting here) or if we'll just grab random books off our shelves.

History - A Picturesque Tale of Progress, books 1 and 2, with oral narration

Science - just lots of Nature Study and some really good picture books as often as we can, especially through the winter; maybe Blood and Guts with older sister

Geography - Home Geography lessons and Paddle to the Sea with oral narration and mapwork; listening in on Haliburton's Book of Marvels with her 6th grade sister

Literature - Fifty Famous Stories, Aesop's Fables, The King of the Golden River, The Matchlock Gun, all with oral narration; listening in on Kim with her older sister

Mythology - The Age of Fable with Tanglewood Tales, with oral narration

Shakespeare - either at home or at co-op, we aren't sure yet, but there will be the Bard - we all love having Shakespeare "class" together

Plutarch - just listening in on big sister's narrations

Nature Lore - The Burgess Bird Book, read to them by their older sister; James Herriot's Treasury for Children, again both with oral narration

Plus Picture Study, Composer, Folk Songs/Hymns, Poetry, and Art, with all the girls together.  I haven't figured out music, yet.

My plan is oral narration only, but lately she really wants to write about things we have read, so I may start having her do one written narration per week on a book of her choice and see how it goes.

That's it so far.  I'm enjoying reading what everyone else is sharing.  I hope we all have productive planning summers! :)

Edited by beka87

My 3rd grader is my 5th child, and it always feels like she's sort of thrown here or there, trying to work with older siblings.  I don't have a good vision for next year yet, but I'll go ahead and try, then come back and edit 😉

Math- finish Saxon 3, then considering MiF, possibly BA or MM ?  I have all those programs. So I'll just see what fits.

Reading- either Mosdos Press or just a pile of books with various activities to go with them. 

Growing with Grammar, Soaring with Spelling and Winning With Writing - this series is a big hit with her.  Easy, quick snd independent.   I may jump her spelling to the 4th grade book.

Science- mystery science or tag along with older kids

History - world history with siblings, with a focus on mythology.   

I'm trying to work on personal development skills - daily room pick up, specific chores done without prompting, staying on task,  I think she's a bit ADHD, so we have a lot of trouble with focusing,  particularly in groups.  Following directions,  listening,  ect.  I also want to try to do a little speech therapy type program.  She graduated from speech class, but I still hear issues like garbled speech, missing words or sounds, like her brain proceases faster than her mouth can keep up.  I thought maybe some focused time on clearly reading might help?  

I always feel like 3rd grade is the year that I need to "get more serious" with curriculum choices, lol. For my DD (my 3rd, 3rd grader) we'll likely be continuing on with most things and starting new with others.

Language Arts:

Phonics/Spelling: Finish the Explode the Code series through book 8 (we're on book 6 now). Assorted phonics workbooks (she loves workbooks)

Grammar: Possibly Easy Grammar, not sure yet. This is the first year I start "formal" grammar.

Reading/Literature: Chapter Books with some basic book reports maybe some units from Moving Beyond the Page or Progeny Press; Core Knowledge Reading Skills Readers (free for download); the old Steck Vaughn Reading workbooks--we're finishing up Swells and Shells (grade 4) now. She loves these! Also listening in on poetry study with older siblings.

Composition: She's been working on IEW's All Things Fun and Fascinating and also Bible Heroes. We'll continue with that and add in IEW SWI A, and possibly CAP Writing and Rhetoric Fable I. She already writes a lot of stories, keeps a journal/diary, and writes personal letters (for mailing) to friends.

Handwriting: Zaner Bloser cursive

Mathematics:

Singapore Math Primary Standards 3 A and 3 B

Finish Beast Academy 2  and start BA 3

Fan Math for additional problem solving (bar models & strategies); Math Detective (Critical Thinking Company)

History:

American Girl class at homeschool co-op; tagging along with big sister's history (ancients); Story of the World audio books

Science:

Stem Engineering class at homeschool co-op; tagging along with big sister's online chemistry and physics classes

Religion:

Devotions; reading and discussion of various books I have such as Wise Up! and books of parables, etc.; Sunday school class. Trying to decide if I want to start anything more formal at this point.

Logic:

Verbal and pictorial analogies (Critical Thinking Company books mostly); deductive reasoning puzzles. She loves logic!!!!

Fine Arts:

Art class at homeschool co-op; weekly piano lessons; audition community choir; ballet and tap dance

Physical Education:

Ballet and tap dance, swimming, horseback riding, general playing around........

Edited by CAtoVA

Still planning, but submitting educational plans this week so trying to get some done.

Math - Math Mammoth 3

Language Arts

Grammar - FLL, first half of the year Editor in Chief Beginning 1, then start Fix It! The Nose Tree

Spelling - All About Spelling 2-3, Spelling Workout

Writing - Writing & Rhetoric Fable, WWE

Handwriting - Canadian Handwriting C

Typing - Typesy? Epistory?

Group Subjects

Canadian History (Year 1 of 2)

Canadian Geography

Canadian Government

Mystery Science

Mr. Q Chemistry

Get Started With French/CAP French for Children

Edited by AsgardCA

On 2/20/2019 at 8:22 PM, SilverMoon said:

The baby of the family is here. Again I haven't put much thought into it and I'm making this up as I go. 😄

Grammar: continue First Language Lessons 3 and go into 4, none of his siblings made it to 4 but it's been a fabulous match for him. Lots of oral and minimal writing is his jam. 

Spelling: continue in Writing Road to Reading 

Writing: Writing With Ease 2? It's the pencil to paper he needs; he does the questions and narrations blindfolded. 

Reading: pile of really good books in various genres, lengths, and difficulties to read and discuss 

Math: same Horizons/Singapore combo he's using now, and we'll try Beast Academy online

Science: ....crickets,  maybe joining sister for chemistry

History: Story of the World 2, real books, videos, etc (he was due to use it for this year but the whole family randomly fell into US history) 

Spanish: just Duolingo for now, he's doing okay with it and he's not ready for something too serious

August version isn't TOO far off. 

Adventures in the Sea and Sky from Winter Promise will cover history, science, geography, lit, and some quality time spent with his 11th grade brother. He could wait a year or two, but big brother is really looking forward to doing parts of this with him as time permits and 12th grade will have even less extra time.  (Big brother did this program in elementary too.) He'll do world history through the development of ships, aircraft, and space craft, with ocean science, weather, and astronomy aligned, along with literature and more. 

The rest of English is continuing what he was already doing. First Language Lessons, Writing With Ease, and Writing Road to Reading (spelling). These are working too well to even be interested in the WP coordinated LA. 

Math is mostly Singapore, occasionally Horizons, and Beast online. 

Spanish is just 15-20min of Duolingo. I don't push it. He just logged on one day and started doing it because everyone else was. 

This is what we've been doing this year, so far it's working great!

Math: Singapore, boy loves math and wants to do it in his free time. Been doing Singapore since Pre-k and we love it.

Language Arts: Grammar Galaxy, he's been doing it since first grade, he used to love it, but recently will sometimes get frustrated with the whole story and wants to skip to the main lesson and workbook. This kid likes workbooks and is the get-it-done type. But I like the fact that it has reading comprehension integrated so I don't have to do yet another thing just for that. So I think we're sticking to it, and I hope to move on to IEW Fix it in 4th grade. We also do Ready to Write Prompts maybe once a week. He does not love to write, especially fiction, but the prompts help. I feel like I'm lacking in LA, but I don't know what I would add.

Science: Nancy Larson is the highlight of DS day, ever since we started at level 0. He loves how hands-on it is, and I love how little prep work I have to do. So it's still a keeper. 

History: SOTW audiobook independently while I'm teaching my younger twins. Also been doing it since first grade, although I used to read it to him at first. But this is a life saver. Originally I'd let him work on a coloring book while listening to it, but recently he's been quietly playing with legos or magna-tiles while doing it. I was scared he would get distracted but so far so good, he's retaining information and is able to answer end of the chapter questions, so I'll let him do his thing.

Electives: Surf lessons every Tuesday and Thursday mornings. This is his second year of surfing and he loves it. But when the weather starts to get bad we'll move on to indoor swimming classes again like we used to. I'd love to get him involved in competitive swimming at some point, I think it's important for kids to participate in organized sports. He's also working on programming this robot with his dad almost every night, but I don't know much about that, it's "their thing".

As far as reading, I gave up on trying to make DS read classics or any other recommended books that he did not pick up by himself. At this point, it doesn't work. He'll gladly read what is interesting to him though, in a middle school level. He's almost finished with Percy Jackson and is reading the Jedi Academy series also. I know that at some point I'll have to push him out of his comfort zone in terms is reading, but this year is not the year lol I'm really scared of making him hate reading if I try to make him go through Charlotte's Web again, or any other book that doesn't involve super powers or an epic battle of some kind. At least he's reading, right? That's what I tell to myself. Classic literature will have to wait. He also will happily read non-fiction books related to what we're seeing in science and history when I present them to him, so that's good.