Menu

Soon to be homeschooling as an expat in Poland - seeking ideas & advice

Hi - we just found out that my husband was awarded a Fulbright so we'll be leaving the US for Krakow, Poland for the 2019-2020 school year. We thought about sending our rising 11th grader DD to the international school there, but I think it's just going to be too expensive. So, we're looking at online classes. I would love to get her involved with some extracurricular stuff too though, but setting this up in another country is making my head swirl. She currently attends a coop for most of her classes here, and then we do the rest at home. So she's used to being in classes with other students for some of the time and really enjoys it. She also volunteers at a therapeutic riding stable and loves that. Plus she's very involved with our youth group at church. I'm afraid she's going to be lonely for people her age while we're there.  

Has anyone else been down a similar path? I'd love to hear how you found ways for your students to engage in the local community/culture.  

Edited by jjeepa
  • Like 1

Would she be at all willing to turn next yr into an immersive type gap yr instead? You could use the time to really become involved in local,culture and travel. It could be a once in a lifetime opportunity. She could do math and maybe journal or maybe create a magazine type blog to record her experiences to keep a minimum academic focus. She could do 11th grade in 20-21.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

Would she be at all willing to turn next yr into an immersive type gap yr instead? You could use the time to really become involved in local,culture and travel. It could be a once in a lifetime opportunity. She could do math and maybe journal or maybe create a magazine type blog to record her experiences to keep a minimum academic focus. She could do 11th grade in 20-21.

I love this idea, but she won't go for it.  Last year she talked about graduating a year early, but was convinced to wait it out as she's a young 10th grader.  I do like the idea of a blog to record her experiences though.  Great idea 🙂 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

This might be a long shot, but I think Karen Glass (of Ambleside Online, and homeschool book author)  is still in Krakow, so you might hit up the Ambleside Online forum and post there too. She might know of some possibilities for groups, activities you can plug into there for your dd. She's still on the AO forum. You'd need to join, but you could post on The Patio or Q&A and ask. It never hurts to ask! Her youngest should be around your dd's age iirc, so that's why I think she might have some ideas. 

Thank! I'll join and ask there for help too.  

I would guess there is a fairly large expat community there. You can start by inquiring at the consulate but do some searching online as well. My brother works for the state dept and his boys are homeschooled and they always find some homeschool friends wherever they go (currently China, next Luxembourg) and church friends!

look for expat churches... or at least churches with very international communities. She may find her group through a youth group or a home group if you can get involved that way. 

If you can approach it as an amazing adventure I think she’ll get so much out of it. Allow her to help make decisions about where you’ll explore etc. Do research together on the once in a lifetime opportunities you could have there and Ask what she hopes to get out of it. 

• Like 1

I wonder if there is a possibility of a reduction in cost in ISK, via the U.S. Embassy in Poland, since your DH will be there on a Fulbright?   When your DD is a Junior (11th grade) she must take the PSAT/NMSQT exam during October of that school year. I suspect she can do that at ISK.  

• 1 year later...