Menu

Daughter wants a career as a make-up artist

My dd (a junior) thinks she would like to have a career as a make-up artist.  She is not interested in doing hair or nails so going to cosmetology school doesn't make sense to her.  What kind of jobs can she get in this field?  I am out of my league here and really don't know how to advise her on what steps she needs to take.  Any ideas?

Check out this website for a start in your research: MakeUpArtist.Edu

Is she thinking one of these areas:
- theater or film make-up artist?
- fashion industry make-up artist?
- doing make-up for local clients for special events, weddings, portrait photography, etc.?
- demonstrating make-up application and selling cosmetics through a store or small "in-home parties"?
- working at a spa or clinic, giving facials, applying "permanent make-up", or doing special skin or laser treatments, etc.?

Be aware: she may still need to attend a cosmetology or beauty school for special courses and to earn a (possibly required) license, and pursue some sort of apprenticeship or mentorship under a qualified professional.

Also, your location makes a huge difference in how much you can earn, or what is even available as far as make-up artist jobs. That website I linked makes it sound like it is a lucrative field -- and for some people, I'm sure it is. We live in a city of about 1 million people, and the daughter of a dear friend went through aesthetician courses and licensing -- and really could not find a full time job in the field. Her real passion is theater make-up, which she does very part-time for minimum wage for occasional local theater productions. (Most actors apply their own make-up, as the production can't afford full time professionals.)

Good luck! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

On 2/3/2019 at 7:05 PM, Lori D. said:

Also, your location makes a huge difference in how much you can earn, or what is even available as far as make-up artist jobs. That website I linked makes it sound like it is a lucrative field -- and for some people, I'm sure it is. We live in a city of about 1 million people, and the daughter of a dear friend went through aesthetician courses and licensing -- and really could not find a full time job in the field. Her real passion is theater make-up, which she does very part-time for minimum wage for occasional local theater productions. (Most actors apply their own make-up, as the production can't afford full time professionals.)

Yes, it seems that the make-up industry looks so glamorous, but I think very few people can actually earn a decent wage especially, as you say, if you are not in the right location. I don't want to be a dream killer, but I want her to be realistic about a future career.

As several of you mentioned, after looking into it more, I believe she would have to go to cosmetology school, get some hours in, and then pass a test.  

Thanks for all the suggestions that were made.

1 hour ago, carlosthecat said:

...I don't want to be a dream killer, but I want her to be realistic about a future career...

Having DD do the research will help her be realistic about what is required to become a make-up artist, what the job actually consists of, and whether it would make a sustainable wage for her or not. 🙂 Also, by doing the research herself, that could lead to stumbling over some other related (or not!) field that might really grab her interest. 😉

These websites are really fun and helpful for career exploration:
- CA Career Zone  -- a good starting point website -- 
- Career Clusters -- take the interest survey and then looking at possible careers in the clusters of high interest might be a fun way to explore
- Occupational Outlook Handbook -- good search engine for suggesting occupations by salary, by future growth, by degree needed, etc.
- Career One Stop -- so huge that it can be overwhelming, so I don't usually recommend *starting* with this one, or if you do, start with their Get My Future page which is a helpful way of guiding you through the process

BEST of luck as your DD and you do career exploration!

Edited by Lori D.