Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

hollyhock2

2019-2020 1st grade planning

Recommended Posts

I look forward to these planning threads every year so I'm starting this one. I hope others will follow suit and start all the other grade level threads. ūüėĀ I find planning is a good cure for the Februaries anyway.

If you have a rising 1st grader, what are you planning for next year? I'll come back and post mine later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently changing things up for Kindergarten to finish out this year.

I haven't really given it a lot of thought. Since we are changing her curriculum around I'm not sure where we will end up.

Phonics

Her reading to us and we do read alouds with her.

Writing 

Spelling / Grammar

Math

History 

Science

Arts & Crafts

When I have decided on curriculum I will come back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2019 at 1:54 PM, Sarah0000 said:

Do you mean a first grader in the fall? I have a first grader right now that I'm planning Spring semester for.

Yes, that is what I meant, but feel free to post your spring semester plans!

Here's what I'm thinking for fall for my daughter:

  • Phonics/reading - Pathway Readers 2,¬†Climbing to Good English 1
  • Math - keep on with Math Mammoth 1, which we've started already¬†Possibly MCP Math Level A
  • Writing - WWE 1
  • Science - Let's Read and Find Out Level 1 books
  • Other stuff - she likes to listen to history so she'll participate with older brothers for Canadian history, plus art, Bible memory, and singing
  • lots of read-alouds, hopefully
Edited by hollyhock2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My third son will be in 1st next year.

He will continue with Math Mammoth...probably level 2 by then.  And we will add in Singapore Challenging Word Problems when the time seems right.

He will firm up his advanced phonics with Wise Owl Polysyllables.  He will also read from his literature list and orally narrate what he reads.

He will listen to lots of audiobooks and read alouds.

For handwriting he will continue with Universal Handwriting, plus copywork in various subjects.

He will start AAS 1 and WWE 1, and we will dip our toe into grammar by discussing the copywork sentences.  He has already listened to Grammarland, but he really liked it, so I expect he might ask to listen to it again.

Next year all the kids will be studying anatomy, so I will read DK's First Encyclopedia Of The Human Body to DS and his younger sister.  All the kids will also work through The Body Book just for fun (and the coloring and cutting is good fine motor practice).

History next year will be SOTW 4, but I have no interest in trying to cover that with a 1st or Pre-Ker, so for them we will just be reading through Who Was biographies of famous Americans.  I will probably print some coloring sheets for them to go along with them because that is what they see the older boys doing during history time.  I may also have the younger two work through a map skills workbook just to make sure they are exposed to that.

Next year I will be attempting our very first "All Kids Together" subject (with Pre-K, 1st, 3rd, 5th).  We are going to be making some lap books as we learn about some countries around the world.

He will continue in his weekly Spanish immersion class, and he will be ready to learn to read in Spanish.

He will also continue his art, gym and swimming classes.  Oh, and he has really been enjoying and learning a ton from Kids Cook Really Food, so he will continue that next year as well. 

At some point during the year, when he seems ready, I will start him on Typing.com, Code.org and Playground Sessions piano lessons.
 

Edited by wendyroo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still doing a little bit of changing and feeling things out with my last little kindy this year so my plans for fall aren't set in stone yet.

 

We will more than likely be in Logic of English Foundations C or D by fall. We are working through B right now but we school year round so it just depends on how quickly he progresses. We had to take a detour in January that I wasn't expecting when he started to struggle so we stopped and just reviewed. He loves copywork so he is doing more than is asked for in LOE. I usually just let him pick a sentence that he likes from whatever he has read or what we are reading aloud.

I've thought about getting the MCT Mud Trilogy to just go through together, but I'm not sure if I want to start now or wait until LOE starts introducing more grammar. Just haven't really thought through what I really want to do here yet. Wendy just reminded me about Grammarland so now I have to decide if I want to do MCT or Grammarland.....

Math.... I love math and so does ds. MEP is one of my favorite math curriculum of all time but it was just feeling like such a drag this last go-round with my youngest child. So we've hopped and jumped and tried a bunch of different things this year trying to find a combination that feels like a good fit for both of us. I want to give Beast Academy a go with him, it wasn't available when my older kiddos were little so we've never done it before. Right now, we are doing Miquon with Life of Fred Apples as a supplement which seems to be a good match for him right now so we might just continue that until I feel like he's ready to start Beast Academy.

He he can skip count from here to tomorrow by almost any number. The common ones like 2, 5, and 10 he can do without help, the others he can do it but he needs a 100s chart to help him keep track but he does it without help from anyone else. He knows his single digit addition and subtraction facts and understands place value pretty well (even told me as he was playing a place value game a couple of weeks ago  "I'm kind of a genius at this (place value)." lol) and is even starting to figure out multiplication on his own but every time I try to introduce multi-digit addition or subtraction I get the deer in the headlights look no matter how I try to introduce it. Could I start him on Beast Academy Level 2 if he has seen the idea of multi-digit addition and subtraction but doesn't seem to understand it yet?

He just turned 6 last month so he will be 6 1/2 by fall so we will start Form 1B of Wildwood Curriculum but I will be modifying it as needed. He is already an awesome narrator, probably from hearing it from others since he was little, so we will probably swap out some of the stories for others. I love Charlotte Mason but I don't like the heavy emphasis on biology pretty much to the exclusion of all other science in the early years so we will supplement with lots of read alouds and experiments from other science subjects.Mystery Science and Aumsum science channel on Youtube will definitely be some places we will pull from.

We will continue learning ASL which we have all been learning since he was a non-verbal toddler. (He has childhood apraxia of speech and while he has graduated from speech therapy for now after 4 years of weekly speech sessions, it is expected that he will probably need more speech therapy in the future.) Despite his shortcomings with speaking English, he has been learning French by his own choice. He is enamored with all things French for some crazy reason. We have been using Muzzy and Dino Lingo videos from the library this year. I recently bought the Cherrydale press book on French so we will start that soon too. So I think we will continue with both ASL and French for first grade.

I'd like him to start piano lessons next year, most likely Hoffman Academy. He's just not ready right now and if he doesn't show signs of readiness for it next year, it will wait until he is ready.

He really wants to learn to ride horses with the goal of getting his own horse one day so I'm hoping by fall we might have the arrangements in place for him to start learning how to ride but that is still way up in the air. Until the planets align, we might just have to wait on that. He gets plenty of time running around outside and got a huge outdoor trampoline for his birthday as a big gift from everybody so he gets plenty of exercise.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bible: Explorer's Bible Study New Testament, continuing Training Hearts, Teaching Minds, maybe Singing The Great Hymns
Content: A homemade world geography study with map making, missionaries, inventors, culture, animals and habitats
Math: Strayer-Upton
Language Arts: La Pata Pita, Getting Started With Spanish, Reading Lessons Through Literature
Foreign Language: Nihongoshark, Hey Andrew 1 to Greek Alphabet Code Cracker
The Arts: Singing Made Easy, God and The History of Art

Other Pursuits:

  • Cleanliness and orderliness
  • Lots of reading practice, probably the Read Aloud Revival
  • More Spanish in the home (maybe an assigned time slot of Spanish only? or Spanish days?)
  • Only ASL in the car
  • Replacing family movie night with an old TV show and board games
  • Top bunk read aloud time (everyone in the top bunk while I read Narnia!)
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 6th and last 1st grader (and therefor very spoiled and used to not having to do anything he doesn't feel like) will have my lightest 1st grade schedule ever.

Language Arts will be:
English Lessons Through Literature 1 (listening to the reader via audio book, short grammar lesson, and copywork) 4x wk
Reading 10 minutes a day from leveled readers like Frog and Toad, hopefully building up past Mercy Watson and into Magic Tree House by we will see

Math will be:
Alternating Beast Academy 2 and Miquon Blue and whatever color comes after that

And he'll have to sit in with the older kids' Morning Reading, which is bible, saint of the day, poetry, memory work, and alternating SOTW 2 and Science in the Ancient World by month.  He'll have to draw/color narration pages for history and science, and narrate orally what he drew. 


 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

reposting the twins  1st grade plan for this year 

they will be 8 in just over a month -  starting grade 1 -  significant struggles - most probably FASD . 

the list looks huge but they progress so slowly that we have to go sideways instead of forwards to over teach otherwise they don't retain things.

Reading

AAR2, Fitzroy readers, Bob Books, those print out TGATB readers Reading eggs and starfall on ipad

Literature

Narration

Spelling

 Very very slowly AAS1 - this will be interesting as twin 2 cannot remember his alphabet - he can read but the concept that a letter symbol means an individual sound is too abstract for him.

Grammar

FLL 2 plus worksheets from a variety of sources including Kumon sentences, TGATB random worksheets, Abeka English workbook

Writing

Penmanship, Copywork, WWE1, Writeshop

Math

Saxon 1 second half

numbers worksheets for reinforcement

Kummon number books

skip counting by 3s, 11s &15s... they have worked on 2s,5s, and 10s all this year 

History

SOTW 3

Geography

Kumon world geography - one page a week. plus they have world maps desk protectors that we look at every day

Science

Animal kingdoms (  simple ) classification then human body

Art and Music

Enrichment Studies music

Study masterpieces 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm... I guess it is time to be thinking about next year.  

Math: continue with RightStart, probably C but we'll see how this year finishes out, and adding in some word problems with Singapore's CWP.  He spotted Beast Academy at  homeschool meet up, so I'm also looking at BA2, probably as a supplement.

Language Arts: copywork and narration, possibly AAS1 depending on his writing stamina, continue encouraging independent reading

Science: We've been using BFSU the past month, so we'll continue with that if it keeps working.  Otherwise interest driven books from the library and nature walks.

Social Studies: We're traveling around the world right now, loosely using Barefoot Books Around the World with Picture Books.  We'll just keep up our tour, spending 4-6 weeks on each country.

Music and Art: SQUILT for music and art history lessons from Art History Kids

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Son #3 will be in first grade next year and he has such a different learning style compared to his older brothers. The first half of his K year was spent trying to figure out how in the world to connect with/teach him. He's very high energy and needs short, focused lessons that are interactive and (despite his general love for writing and drawing on his own) don't require a lot of workbooks/writing on his part. He's very smart but super stubborn and can get overwhelmed easily. School goes much smoother if I can just fit it in to regular discussion/play or frame it as games or activities within things that he likes/hold his interest. Right now we're just playing out the rest of K by working through 100 EZ lessons for reading and Life of Fred: Apples. 

My current plan for 1st looks something like:

Math: Math U See: Alpha (and maybe/probably Beta because I suspect that - as long as I can get him to focus - we'll go through Alpha fast)

Reading: Continue on with 100EZ lessons and utilize all the various phonics readers that are lying around. My main goal for first grade is to get him reading fluently. 

Handwriting: I'll probably just pick up something like The Complete Book of Handwriting or do my own thing. Stuff that's very low stress and that he can do as something "fun" and doesn't necessarily register in his mind as "school". 

Writing: Work on basic narration skills. Nothing formal.

Grammar: I might start FLL1 during the second half of the year but I'll probably put off formal grammar until 2nd grade. That approach has worked well for his older brothers.

Science: Mr. Q Earth Science 

History/Geography: We'll be doing a one year study of US History and Geography as a family.

 

Other: field trips and art lessons with our homeschool group, plus read alouds and a basic study of art and music as a family.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not really even close to thinking about next year yet!

 

We should be doing Ancients next year, so my first and third graders can listen to and do projects from SOTW1.  If our homeschool group does a co-op, I'll probably offer to teach Ancients at co-op; otherwise, I can certainly handle it on my own.

 

I'm pretty laid back for young ones.  My state doesn't require anything from them.  My littles typically do reading (maybe OPGTTR, maybe 100 EZ Lessons, maybe not) and maybe some handwriting and gentle math and listen along with readalouds.  They're easy.  (And I'll have grades 12, 9, 5, 3, and 1, plus an infant/toddler, so easy is good.)

 

He likes doing nature study with the big boys.  Maybe rocks for next year.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next year my youngest will be in first grade.  My tentative plan:

Math mammoth 2, Continue BFSU 1, IEW Bible Heroes, Continue AAR-finish 3 and start 4, continue Sound Beginning spelling, possibly something light for grammar depending on how his writing is by the end of this year, probably start Hoffman Academy if everything else is going well

Joining siblings for the same things as this year: Story of Civilization 2, CCMemory Beta, MP Art Cards, Home Art Studio 3, Virtues in Practice (year of hope)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My younger daughter will be 1st next year. Here are our tentative plans:

Math: MM1

LA: TGATB 1 (we just started TGATB K after completing First Start Reading, which we had been working on for about 1.5 years. I expect she'll move through it pretty quickly as review for reading and introducing new grammar concepts before hitting Level 1 in the fall)

Science: TGATB Water and our World, Marine Biology, and Kingdoms and Classification (3 units) along with her 4th grade sis.

Handwriting: HWOT 1

History SOTW 4 with big sis

Music: piano lessons

Co-op: Once weekly Charlotte Mason drop-off program where they do composer and artist study, dance, handicrafts, etc.

I love these threads!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Math- Horizons 1

Reading- Wise Owl Polysyllables

Spelling- Horizons 1

Composition- Writing with Ease 1

Handwriting- Good and Beautiful 1

Lit- Good books ūüôā Borrowing from MP's lit list

Science- Nature Study

Family: Poetry & World Cultures & Geography

Edited by soror

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2019 at 11:52 PM, sweet2ndchance said:

Still doing a little bit of changing and feeling things out with my last little kindy this year so my plans for fall aren't set in stone yet.

 

We will more than likely be in Logic of English Foundations C or D by fall. We are working through B right now but we school year round so it just depends on how quickly he progresses. We had to take a detour in January that I wasn't expecting when he started to struggle so we stopped and just reviewed. He loves copywork so he is doing more than is asked for in LOE. I usually just let him pick a sentence that he likes from whatever he has read or what we are reading aloud.

I've thought about getting the MCT Mud Trilogy to just go through together, but I'm not sure if I want to start now or wait until LOE starts introducing more grammar. Just haven't really thought through what I really want to do here yet. Wendy just reminded me about Grammarland so now I have to decide if I want to do MCT or Grammarland.....

Math.... I love math and so does ds. MEP is one of my favorite math curriculum of all time but it was just feeling like such a drag this last go-round with my youngest child. So we've hopped and jumped and tried a bunch of different things this year trying to find a combination that feels like a good fit for both of us. I want to give Beast Academy a go with him, it wasn't available when my older kiddos were little so we've never done it before. Right now, we are doing Miquon with Life of Fred Apples as a supplement which seems to be a good match for him right now so we might just continue that until I feel like he's ready to start Beast Academy.

He he can skip count from here to tomorrow by almost any number. The common ones like 2, 5, and 10 he can do without help, the others he can do it but he needs a 100s chart to help him keep track but he does it without help from anyone else. He knows his single digit addition and subtraction facts and understands place value pretty well (even told me as he was playing a place value game a couple of weeks ago  "I'm kind of a genius at this (place value)." lol) and is even starting to figure out multiplication on his own but every time I try to introduce multi-digit addition or subtraction I get the deer in the headlights look no matter how I try to introduce it. Could I start him on Beast Academy Level 2 if he has seen the idea of multi-digit addition and subtraction but doesn't seem to understand it yet?

He just turned 6 last month so he will be 6 1/2 by fall so we will start Form 1B of Wildwood Curriculum but I will be modifying it as needed. He is already an awesome narrator, probably from hearing it from others since he was little, so we will probably swap out some of the stories for others. I love Charlotte Mason but I don't like the heavy emphasis on biology pretty much to the exclusion of all other science in the early years so we will supplement with lots of read alouds and experiments from other science subjects.Mystery Science and Aumsum science channel on Youtube will definitely be some places we will pull from.

We will continue learning ASL which we have all been learning since he was a non-verbal toddler. (He has childhood apraxia of speech and while he has graduated from speech therapy for now after 4 years of weekly speech sessions, it is expected that he will probably need more speech therapy in the future.) Despite his shortcomings with speaking English, he has been learning French by his own choice. He is enamored with all things French for some crazy reason. We have been using Muzzy and Dino Lingo videos from the library this year. I recently bought the Cherrydale press book on French so we will start that soon too. So I think we will continue with both ASL and French for first grade.

I'd like him to start piano lessons next year, most likely Hoffman Academy. He's just not ready right now and if he doesn't show signs of readiness for it next year, it will wait until he is ready.

He really wants to learn to ride horses with the goal of getting his own horse one day so I'm hoping by fall we might have the arrangements in place for him to start learning how to ride but that is still way up in the air. Until the planets align, we might just have to wait on that. He gets plenty of time running around outside and got a huge outdoor trampoline for his birthday as a big gift from everybody so he gets plenty of exercise.

 

What confuses him about multi digit addition? If you drew 15 dots and 12 dots, could he put them together?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RightStart B

Phonics Road to Spelling and Reading

MFW Adventures and finish Evan Moor Beginning Geography

Home Art Studio 1

Chess club

Edited by Mona

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BJU Math 1

 Abeka Letters & Sounds 1

Abeka Readers

Abeka Spelling 1

ZB Handwriting

I am unsure if we will do Abeka Language 1 work book each day, I think I may just go over the lesson orally.  

 

Memoria Press First Grade Enrichment and additional science, history and geography books, but nothing formal. 

 

Song School Latin 1 (I am not sold that first graders must have latin. I have started with my older son 2nd/3rd grade doing song school latin and will continue to let my first grader work through with us.  Heck, the 3 year old is also learning latin!) My kids love it!

 

He will be tagging along sporadically with my 3rd grader for some subjects, but he is not required to.

 

 It's great I have been there and done that, I feel so much more confident going into first grade.  It seems so easy and doable for us.  I was so stressed out when my oldest was in first grade.  sigh.

 

 

 

Edited by Elizabeth86

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2019 at 10:14 AM, square_25 said:

What confuses him about multi digit addition? If you drew 15 dots and 12 dots, could he put them together?

 

Yes, but he would count the dots one at a time rather than make groups of ten. He has seen the idea presented in many ways and he can do it if he is walked through it but the next time we try a multi digit problem, we end up starting all over again walking him through it. His brain just isn't ready to fully absorb and apply  the concepts which I'm not worried about, he will get it when he is ready to get it and then he will take off with it. He only just turned 6 so I'm in no hurry for him to get it.

I really just want to know if the Beast Academy 2 expects the child to know how to add and subtract multi-digit math problems. I know on the level 2 placement test, there are multi-digit problems for the child to solve but I have also heard the placement tests are harder than the content in the books so I was just wondering if anyone who has been through BA2 with a child in K or 1st could give a heads up on whether a child should be able to add and subtract multi digit problems before starting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, they do multi digits. But some of the puzzles don’t, and we mostly use the puzzles.

I’ve definitely had the experience of just not having things click for a kid until they just do!! It’s interesting how that happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Math: MUS Beta, (currently in Alpha)

LA:

Spelling:  AAS 1

Phonics: AAR 2

Grammar: ?  

Handwriting: ?, we have been doing HWOT but thinking of Zaner Bloser switch

Science: My Pals are Here 1a/b (November to April), nature journals the rest of the year 

Art: Currently do art illustration with a read aloud book but may look into something more formal

Social Studies: ?

Language:  Mango Homeschool (otherwise Latin with MP)

*We will homeschool part time in the summer covering phonics, spelling, math, science journals, art with read aloud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My third girl will be in first grade come fall.  I am combining her with my very young soon-to-be-third-grade girl for all content areas, plus some things that are family activities. We use CM methods and I build all of my own lists. Here's her plan so far:

Math - RightStart

Phonics - First Start Reading, AlphaPhonics, Classical Phonics, and BOB Books, then..... ?  Possibly some Explode the Code books.  She really likes little workbooks.

History - A Picturesque Tale of Progress, books 1 and 2; just listening, no oral narration

Science - just lots of Nature Study and some really good picture books as often as we can, especially through the winter; maybe Blood and Guts with older sister; she'll narrate her nature journal entries/dictate what she wants written

Geography - Home Geography lessons and Paddle to the Sea, both with oral narrations; listening in on Haliburton's Book of Marvels with her 6th grade sister

Literature - Fifty Famous Stories, Aesop's Fables, The King of the Golden River, The Matchlock Gun, all with oral narrations; listening in on Kim with biggest sister

Mythology - The Age of Fable with Tanglewood Tales, oral narrations

Shakespeare - either here at home or at co-op, not sure yet; we do this all together and really love it

Plutarch - just listening in

Nature Lore - The Burgess Bird Book, read to them by their older sister, with oral narration; James Herriot's Treasury for Children, oral narrations

Plus Picture Study, Composer, Folk Songs/Hymns, Poetry, and Art, all together.  I haven't figured out music yet.

 

That's it so far.  I'm enjoying reading what everyone else is sharing.  I hope we all have productive planning summers! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lord willing we will be doing the following. 

Phonics/reading/spelling- Explode the code online, Noah Webster Reading and Spelling and all the library books she can read.

Read Alouds- from the library, TBD.

Math- Beast Academy 2A if it goes well we will continue with (B-D). She will be doing this with Daddy. 

Writing- will continue with cursive but change to Logic of English cursive program instead of Abeka.

Science- lot of science kits from Young Scientists website. Read books, watch videos and fields trips to explore.

History & Geography- 50 states plus capitals, map reading, the presidents and learning more about our city, state and our country. Maybe SOTW or Mystery of History.?

Bible- Daily Devotional, Bible stories, memory verses, What's in the Bible with Buck Denver DVDs and other moral centered DVDs and storybooks.

PE- bike riding, play at the park, roller skating, swimming and other outside play (when weather permits). Recreational Center activities, indoor pool and an indoor activities place. (For times when it's too cold or stormy).

Homeschool Co-Op

I would like get her into music lessons and art lessons. Daddy has gotten her intro to drawing books and is helping where he can there but I think she would enjoy more.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mommyof1 said:

Lord willing we will be doing the following. 

Phonics/reading/spelling- Explode the code online, Noah Webster Reading and Spelling and all the library books she can read.

Read Alouds- from the library, TBD.

Math- Beast Academy 2A if it goes well we will continue with (B-D). She will be doing this with Daddy. 

Writing- will continue with cursive but change to Logic of English cursive program instead of Abeka.

Science- lot of science kits from Young Scientists website. Read books, watch videos and fields trips to explore.

History & Geography- 50 states plus capitals, map reading, the presidents and learning more about our city, state and our country. Maybe SOTW or Mystery of History.?

Bible- Daily Devotional, Bible stories, memory verses, What's in the Bible with Buck Denver DVDs and other moral centered DVDs and storybooks.

PE- bike riding, play at the park, roller skating, swimming and other outside play (when weather permits). Recreational Center activities, indoor pool and an indoor activities place. (For times when it's too cold or stormy).

Homeschool Co-Op

I would like get her into music lessons and art lessons. Daddy has gotten her intro to drawing books and is helping where he can there but I think she would enjoy more.

 

In first grade, we really enjoyed Kids' Art Works by Sandi Henry.   It allows kids to work in a variety of mediums, with materials most homeschoolers have around the house. The results are worthy of social media, but still look like they are done by kids. (I know it's all about the process, but there is a certain satisfaction in having a project come out nicely, too.) The past few years, we have been using arttango.com for art, which is free. The materials required are not too exotic. The projects are pretty typical of what I would expect to see in a public school. The K level is not a good fit for my K'er, but he is not artistically inclined at all. Since your child seems to have some inclination that way, it would be worth looking at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2019 at 12:49 PM, sweet2ndchance said:

 

Yes, but he would count the dots one at a time rather than make groups of ten. He has seen the idea presented in many ways and he can do it if he is walked through it but the next time we try a multi digit problem, we end up starting all over again walking him through it. His brain just isn't ready to fully absorb and apply  the concepts which I'm not worried about, he will get it when he is ready to get it and then he will take off with it. He only just turned 6 so I'm in no hurry for him to get it.

I really just want to know if the Beast Academy 2 expects the child to know how to add and subtract multi-digit math problems. I know on the level 2 placement test, there are multi-digit problems for the child to solve but I have also heard the placement tests are harder than the content in the books so I was just wondering if anyone who has been through BA2 with a child in K or 1st could give a heads up on whether a child should be able to add and subtract multi digit problems before starting.

 

Multi-digit addition and subtraction are covered in 2D.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently lined up:

Phonics Pathways and BOB books
First Language Lessons 1
Writing With Ease 1 (I don't think she'll be ready for this for a while, but I have it on stand by)
Story of the World 1 and Activity book
Horizons Penmanship 1 along with Copy work
Singapore Math 1
Song School Latin Book 1

Plus nature studies and notebooking incorporating art (she loves watercoloring).

Here's my conundrum. I find myself really drawn to Ambleside online. I also know myself well enough that I like and need things planned out for me, such as FLL and WWE. And AO doesn't cover grammar explicitly anyway, so I think they are very compatible. But I also don't want to overload my daughter (or myself). And then I feel SOTW would just end up getting dropped, but I do love it, as well.

Can I get input on blending AO with the more structured approach of WTM materials? I don't want to just ignore the recommended reading and resources of WTM to do AO. I'm sure it's much simpler than I'm making it- but I'm spazzing out a little bit right now. HA!
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kesmom said:

 

Multi-digit addition and subtraction are covered in 2D.

 Thanks! I actually did go ahead and get 2A for him a couple of months ago and it is a nearly perfect fit for where he is. We are just working slowly through it for now and he seems to like it so far.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Language Arts: Trying out Write Shop A, bravewriter fairy tale project, practicing handwriting, building his reading stamina, as well as tons of read alouds

Science: Mystery Science and possibly the new RSO Bio1 depending on when it is released

History: Curiosity Chronicles Ancients with the accompanying notebooking pages

Math: Math Mammoth

Art: Artistic Pursuits Vol. 1 and Vol. 2-Ancients

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We will be folding in little sister for K, so I plan on combining Geography and Science.

Geography & Art: Build Your Library Level 0: Around the World. There are so many fun things to add to this study!

Science: BFSU Vol. 1

Math: MEP Year 1

Reading: Phonics Pathways

Writing: Writing is arduous for him. I'm wondering if HWOT would be a good fit.

 

 

Edited by knitgrl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This will be my 2nd time through 1st grade, first with my daughter 10 years ago almost, now my son.  I saved everything that I used with my daughter, so we are going with the same plan with some tweaks due to my son being gifted in certain areas.  I'm not sure if SWO or AAS will work for him, so doing both as I did with my daughter but she had spelling difficulties and I don't think he will.

 

Bible - Bible Study Guide for All Ages

Reading - Continue OPGTR & Book Lists

Writing - Writing With Ease 1

Grammar - First Language Lessons 1

Math - Saxon Math 1

Spelling - All About Spelling 1 & Spelling Workout A

History - Story of the World 1

Science - Animals, Human Body and Plants

Art - Home Art Studio

Edited by Classically Minded

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

√ó
√ó
  • Create New...