Menu

Book a Week 2019 - BW6: Whodunit Bookology - Inspector Chen Cao

Robin M

On 2/6/2019 at 10:50 PM, LaughingCat said:

Also read Trail of Lightning which I enjoyed. 

Interestingly, I finished Rebecca Roanhorse'sTrail of Lightningabout five minutes ago. While it was an intriguing read (and I learned a good bit of native American mythology), I don't believe I'll reread it and I likely won't read on in the series.

"While most of the world has drowned beneath the sudden rising waters of a climate apocalypse, Dinétah (formerly the Navajo reservation) has been reborn. The gods and heroes of legend walk the land, but so do monsters.

Maggie Hoskie is a Dinétah monster hunter, a supernaturally gifted killer. When a small town needs help finding a missing girl, Maggie is their last best hope. But what Maggie uncovers about the monster is much more terrifying than anything she could imagine.

Maggie reluctantly enlists the aid of Kai Arviso, an unconventional medicine man, and together they travel the rez, unraveling clues from ancient legends, trading favors with tricksters, and battling dark witchcraft in a patchwork world of deteriorating technology.

As Maggie discovers the truth behind the killings, she will have to confront her past if she wants to survive.

Welcome to the Sixth World." 

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

On 2/6/2019 at 8:55 AM, The Accidental Coach said:

I think I need to give myself permission to abandon books that are meh and to adjust my reading challenge until my work schedule lightens up in April. I think I'll shoot for a book every two weeks. I also have to realize that there are seasons in life for everything and my current season is filled with something I love beyond measure, my sport.

Absolutely! Reading is for you.

I just gave up on a second book for this year, and I almost never give up on books: J. Frank Dobie's The Voice of the Coyote, for the Don't Mess With Texas category. Dobie is great when he does his folklore thing, but when he writes about animals it's just boring. Rattlesnakes had the same problem. Guess I'm not going to read his classic Mustangs then. But this means I'm not going to finish a book this week--though this has cleared some shelf space! Some books just don't spark joy. Back to Henry James.

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 5

I've sort of been following along for two weeks. Last week I did visit Flufferton Abbey by reading a Georgette Heyer novel: Sylvester, or the Wicked Uncle. It was amusing (and I was sick and needed some fluff), but I forgot to post about it.

the Inspector Chen novels sound intriguing, but my library doesn't have them. But I have The Good EarthEarth by Pearl Buck, which I've been meaning to get around to for some time, so I started it today (set in China). I won't finish it this week of course. But oh my goodness, y'all, why have i been putting it off, I love this book!

• Like 6