Menu

What's with the ads?

lulalu

Why is Master Books becoming so popular?

I am in a group on FB and it seems like everyday someone is talking about Master Books. 

Why is it getting so popular? 

I have looked at the samples of Math and Language for a Living Education. Is it just me or is the writing so bland and boring and lacking? At least from the samples I can see. 

I get the short lessons and Biblical worldview. I would love to use it, but from the samples it just seems too blah. 

If you use and like it- are the samples accurate? Why do you like it? 

Are you asking about the math and language specifically? Because I haven't used them or looked at samples enough to have an opinion. But I have used some of the junior high and high school science courses from MB and have been happy and not-so-happy with them. All the ones I've used have wonderful books to use. Some of them have good worksheets and quizzes, and some of them have really *blah* worksheets. Also, some of the schedules they put in the lesson plans aren't really enough work for the grade level (and that's coming from the most non-rigorous homeschooler on this board 🙂). It depends on the course, but you can get a good feel for them from the samples. So, yes, I would say the samples are fairly accurate.

But again, I only have experience with the science, and not the math or language, so I'm not sure if that's what you were looking for.

• Like 3

I am looking at just the early elementary. I just looked at language and math samples to see what everyone is talking about, and because those are newer. 

But I don't mind hearing about it all. 

I have some books published by Master Books that I love- Life In the Great Ice Age is my son's favorite book ever. 

Some of the older grades seem to have been around for longer and seem better written from what I can tell. 

I haven’t used any master books but this week I spent A LOT of time looking through the new language arts samples.i was SO drawn to it.  I was looking for something to condense our language arts a bit. And it seemed to have all the pieces. But the more I looked at the content I’m like it doesn’t compare at all to WWE strong literature selections. And we can’t do spelling 1-2 days a week ,( actually I don’t think doing it 5 days is covering it well enough at our house. 😄). But even after deciding it wouldn’t fit what I wanted I still wanted it! So I had to figure it what it was that was drawing me so strongly. I decided that it was most significantly that it was so visually appealing. That’s what it came down to. I liked looking at it. And I also liked that each day was set up in manageable chunks, each day starting a new page. Now I’m ruined. I can’t find anything else that competes on the visual scale. at all. I can hardly even look at others, which is so rediculous . Why does it matter! (I keep asking myself)

Anyway so that’s my guess, they got a great graphic design and marketing department 

• Like 3

Master Books is starting to buy up other popular programs, editing them, and repackaging them to increase their offerings.  All of their things are very appealing, they have a wide variety, and nice neat bundles. 

They aren't for us, but I see many of the comments to go along with a current fad.  MLFLE is the hot thing right now, like LLATL was 15 years ago.  In a while someone else will come out with something and people will gravitate that direction.

• Like 2

Best advice anyone can give another homeschooler.....just bc it is a fad does not mean it is good for your family. @HomeAgain is right.Over the yrs fads come and go. You'll see post after post of people jumping on the bandwagon and then a couple of yrs later, crickets and only a handful are still avid users. 

The best curricula are the ones that you can teach and your children thrive. There is no unicorn that fits every family, every situation, every child.

• Like 8

I've noticed that there are homeschoolers that have YT videos in support of MB. One of them may even be affiliated in some way and has lots of subscribers. I took a look at the LA, but it just didn't seem like a good fit for us. I have teens and I'm starting again with a K'er.

• Like 1

The math is about 3 years below level when compared to other curriculum.

It does get boring and the lessons are somewhat disconnected. 

It bores a math kid to death and gives a nonmathy kid a false sense of accomplishment because it is much easier than the math that their peers are doing.

• Like 2

It is kind of weird though. They are not just advertising heavily (including through sponsored blog posts & yt videos), they are not just kind of the new kid in town, fad-wise, and they are not just buying up and republishing older texts....they're doing all of it at once. *And* they're doing it all across subjects. They got ahold of Jacobs, the Tiner stuff that previously MP alone recommended afaik, plus the LA stuff. Oh, Math For a Living Education used to be a Queen homeschool product too. I'm sure others as well. Actually, that's all they have right--stuff other ppl did first? 

IOW, they are good at the business side of things in a way not seen in the HS community since Sonlight and WTM Press imo. Others are kind of dipping into the same waters...MFW, etc...

Edited by OKBud
  • Like 4

In addition to the “fad” aspect, there is an “echo chamber” effect. In a group, someone will use a product and like it. They can then recommend it widely, and a few others will start using it. If they like it, you now have a small group of people recommending it, and it continues to spread, but sometimes only in small pockets.

This is why I tend to quietly watch several homeschooling groups instead of just one: each group has its own general vibe, and it’s favorite methods, and it’s common recommendations. However, sometimes there is almost no overlap between groups. As an eclectic homeschooler, I find a lot of the variety we want in our materials by taking the best parts of many different approaches. OP wonders why Master Books is so popular, yet in the many groups I’m part of, I’ve barely heard it mentioned at all.

Edited by Jackie
Typos
  • Like 9

On 2/2/2019 at 10:30 PM, Dudley said:

I haven’t used any master books but this week I spent A LOT of time looking through the new language arts samples.i was SO drawn to it.  I was looking for something to condense our language arts a bit. And it seemed to have all the pieces. But the more I looked at the content I’m like it doesn’t compare at all to WWE strong literature selections. And we can’t do spelling 1-2 days a week ,( actually I don’t think doing it 5 days is covering it well enough at our house. 😄). But even after deciding it wouldn’t fit what I wanted I still wanted it! So I had to figure it what it was that was drawing me so strongly. I decided that it was most significantly that it was so visually appealing. That’s what it came down to. I liked looking at it. And I also liked that each day was set up in manageable chunks, each day starting a new page. Now I’m ruined. I can’t find anything else that competes on the visual scale. at all. I can hardly even look at others, which is so rediculous . Why does it matter! (I keep asking myself)

Anyway so that’s my guess, they got a great graphic design and marketing department 

The bolded part is why I'm drawn to it plus it is cheaper than a lot of other options that are much less visually appealing.

• Like 1

Has anyone used The World's Story for history?  I know it is new so I'm hesitant to try it, but I love the pictures and how art work and architecture are integrated with it.