Menu

Fighting the Februaries:

I'm walking every day. In snow pants.  It's a slight refresher.

We're playing games and playing with blocks for math.  And I'm making time for ds work on handicrafts more: knitting, baking...

Oh, and since ds finally declared he hated his Latin book (FFL), and I've hated it since he picked it out, I decided it's time for a change, there, too.  I bought the LFC A activity book and history stories for him.  I figure we just need a break before we look at another page of declensions.

I've learned over the years that we're just not good with February.  And with the shutdown looming again I'm not keen on planning field trips right now.  But I know I need nature, I need a break from the usual slog, and I need what sunshine I can get.  We can start back up with the other stuff in rainy March, when we can plant a garden and get a fix that way.

• Like 1

Last year we did not get the Februaries. The only thing we did different was a have a special themed learning week. We spent a whole week only doing Olympic Themed learning activities. No regular curriculum. It was fun for the kids and kept my brain happy and engaged. There was a wealth of ideas online for all ages and grades.

We decided to do it again this year. We are thinking our theme will be Harry Potter. 

We typically do not watch TV all that much, but in February we watch something EVERY NIGHT THAT WE'RE HOME (well, if we want to, which is most nights in Feb). For some reason, over the years, this has become a fond memory of documentaries and funny shows and just all being together in the dark & cold. When March 1 rolls around, we turn it off again and go back outside. Haha! It gets us through.

• Like 2

For the first weekend of February, five of the seven of us were down with the norovirus. We all just lay around the house today, recuperating. It was not a good way to start the month.

I've been buying lovely, squishy yarn and planning all the things I'm going to knit after finishing the one project I have going. My brother and his wife are expecting a baby girl in early June after four years of struggle and heartbreak. I am going to knit *all* the cute baby girl things! (I only learned how to knit after my youngest was born.)

The "Get Rid of It All 2019" thread has helped me! Cleaning out closets and decluttering makes me SO happy. 

I always sleep, watch movies, and read novels in the winter. More than any other time of year. Escape? Relaxing anyway. 

Planning for the next school year!

I use my Happy Light most mornings. If the sun is out, I am in it! 

I try to eat low carb to keep my energy up and avoid carb-induced mood crashes. 

I have been keeping up with some CiRCE podcasts that are educational and fun. Like a book club, but I don't have to go anywhere! 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 2

I took off today, and it looks like I might just be taking off the whole week. I really, really, really need to get through about four chapters of revisions this week, plus boys have a dentist appointment tomorrow with DH, and I'm still completely wiped out from spending 12 hours on the road this weekend. I just want to sleep, write, drink water, and go back to bed. Bleh.

Do you remember what David Banner said in Avengers when they asked him his secret?  How does he control the big, green guy?  Later he told them, his secret is he's angry all the time!  Lol!  So my secret to February is if you're burned out all the time, February is no big deal. 😂😂😂

(sort of kidding, sort of not. 😊). 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I went to a gameschooling conference over the weekend, which has helped me to feel reinvigorated and more motivated to continue incorporating gaming into our homeschool. The whole family had a blast. (I may have spent waaaaaaaaay too much charter school monopoly money on games since returning home.)

So far, I listened to the Bright and Quirky conference online (all last week).

This week we're incorporating a lot more videos into our schoolwork.  We watched Emma yesterday to correlate with our high school British Lit studies. 

We went rock hunting on the beaches a few weeks ago. We're finishing up our identification project this afternoon.

I need to do some more art projects.

Mostly, I find that I just need a change of pace....

• Like 3