Menu

The Early History of Rome Livy audiobook not matching up??

My son has to read this (the Selincourt translation) and I thought I would find an audiobook. I found this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00412LQ9C/ref=oh_aui_d_asin_title_o00_aud_?ie=UTF8&psc=1  but it is not matching up with his translation at all. Can anyone help?

I had the impression that this section (Early History of Rome) was books 1-5 of the larger History of Rome work by Livy. Am I wrong? 

ETA: The problem was that the audiobook we have contains a lengthy introduction that was not in our print book and is in addition to another introduction by the translator. So I thought we were listening to Book 1 but when i finally sat down and listened to it I found the beginning of Book 1.

Edited by cintinative

It's most likely a translation issue. The audiobook is from a translation that was done in the early 20th century while the Selincourt was a later translation. I don't know enough about Livy to speak on the content and which books match up. You might try YouTube to see if there is a reading of that particular translation. 

3 hours ago, elegantlion said:

It's most likely a translation issue. The audiobook is from a translation that was done in the early 20th century while the Selincourt was a later translation. I don't know enough about Livy to speak on the content and which books match up. You might try YouTube to see if there is a reading of that particular translation. 

Thanks to looking on YouTube, I figured out that the version I have is correct, but there is a very lengthy introduction that is not in our print version.  Once I found the beginning of Book 1, there is a decent amount of consistency. 

Edited by cintinative