Menu

Best Tide Pools in So Cal

DesertBlossom

Help a desert girl out.... we are planning a trip to SD soon. I know it's probably going to be too cold for anyone to want to get in the water much, so I got thinking maybe we should look for the best tide pools instead of the best beaches for swimming. 

What are the best places to go, anywhere from San Diego to Anaheim?

I read this as Best Tide Pods in CA....LOL  I live outside of Portland Oregon, and we do have fewer phosphates in our detergents here, so it kind of made sense, but I was wondering why one type of Tide Pod would work better than others, just based on what state you were in. OY....long day!

• Like 1

This is probably an unnecessary PSA from a former CAian, but please be sure to read up on tide pool safety before going and give your children a very thorough briefing.  Tide pools are FANTASTIC, but they can be deceptive in terms of risk evaluation.  You need to be aware of safety for yourself with regard to the ocean/tide, with regard to the creatures, and for the creatures in regard to handling.  Some can be touched, some not.  

Have fun!  

• Like 1

Thank you all! This has been super helpful. I've been googling all these places and realized that when we went 4 years ago, we went to La Jolla beach near the Children's pool. I wouldn't have ever remembered the name. I think we were just looking for the closest beach to where we were staying. It felt crazy busy there, especially for December.  The children's pool was inhabited by sea lions, but we did end up exploring south of that somewhere and stumbling across some tide pools. I think we just got lucky because I don't think I set out looking for tide pools. 

Thank you for all the suggestions. We're getting excited about this trip!!

On 2/1/2019 at 6:06 PM, GoodGrief1 said:

Cabrillo National Monument

We *love* those tidepools! We haven't been there in over 30 years (we started hsing in San Diego in 1982 and moved away in 1987); we're going to be there in June, and those tidepools are on our list of things to do. ❤️

• Like 1