Menu

What's with the ads?

I'm looking for a biology program for next year for my 9th and 10th graders. I'd like something that has a textbook but also offers some dvd instruction, especially with labs. My older kids have done Apologia and I'd like to avoid that one. 🙂These two kids are likely college-bound, but not STEM inclined.

Does this exist?  At a reasonable price?  

Sorry I do not have any recommendations for you, but I am looking at Biology for my 9th grader. May I ask from your experience, why you would like to avoid Apologia? 

34 minutes ago, klstoner said:

Sorry I do not have any recommendations for you, but I am looking at Biology for my 9th grader. May I ask from your experience, why you would like to avoid Apologia? 

Well, I'm probably not the best person to ask for a science review. It' s definitely not my area of expertise.

I'll start out by saying that we have owned every Apologia science book and have used them all, so I certainly don't have anything against them. Several of my kids have used their books for high school, mostly in a co-op setting. One of those kids is now in a BSN nursing program and is doing great and was obviously well prepared. Doing the biology in a co-op setting was extraordinarily time-consuming, however. That is in part due to the fact that co-op only meets 30 times so it's being done over a condensed school year. It really took over their school day and we weren't able to accomplish the other things that I wanted to do because science took so much time. That's an experience I'd rather not repeat with the younger kids. Ideally, I think they should be able to accomplish it in five hours a week and spend extra time on subjects that are in their area of interest.  So, if they're not going to do it at co-op, I'd like a text that I would find more engaging and easier for me to facilitate. Even though science is not my 'thing', I do think there must be science books that are interesting to read for non-science people.

We're not big fans of online courses. These kids like a textbook that they can hold in their hands, but I do feel that having some video instruction is helpful especially since, as I said, it's not my area. 

• Like 2

Hi, my daughter is having success this year with a Glencoe Biology text. We watch Great Courses Biology to go along with unit. She does do her labs at a co-op. 

• Thanks 1