Menu

I just want to whine a minute

DawnM

My son is in a college with a quarter system, where people come and go, can do some online quarters if needed, etc.....People transfer in, etc....

One of the things that sold us on the school was its flexibility.  My son will have 5 quarters left after this year.  He had planned to stay over this summer and possibly the following summer and he could be DONE by August of 2020.

The school just announced they will no longer have senior sequence classes offered every quarter and Senior class 1 will only be offered in the Fall, Senior sequence class 2, Winter, and Senior Class 3 (with project) only offered in the Spring.

This means my son has to stay the following year AND will have to stay an additional quarter than he needed.

Blows his whole plan.  He will now finish May of 2021.

I am just venting.  We will work it out, but......ARGH!

Edited by DawnM
  • Sad 5

Since he was planning to finish next summer, is there an issue with pre-reqs or something that keep him from taking the Senior courses next fall, winter, spring and still graduate after summer? I think I'd encourage him to go talk with an adviser. Tell the adviser what his plan was, and ask if anything can be done to make his plan still workable.

1 hour ago, MerryAtHope said:

Since he was planning to finish next summer, is there an issue with pre-reqs or something that keep him from taking the Senior courses next fall, winter, spring and still graduate after summer? I think I'd encourage him to go talk with an adviser. Tell the adviser what his plan was, and ask if anything can be done to make his plan still workable.

Yes.  It is a senior project and until he takes the courses he needs in his major, he will not be ready to start a senior project

• Like 1

On 1/31/2019 at 5:35 PM, DawnM said:

Yes.  It is a senior project and until he takes the courses he needs in his major, he will not be ready to start a senior project

That makes sense. I think I'd still encourage him to talk with an adviser. Maybe they'd let him do the senior project independent study or something. It's a huge financial hardship to have to go to school another full year instead of just another summer. 

27 minutes ago, MerryAtHope said:

That makes sense. I think I'd still encourage him to talk with an adviser. Maybe they'd let him do the senior project independent study or something. It's a huge financial hardship to have to go to school another full year instead of just another summer. 

No, it is TWO summers, meaning 2 quarters.  Instead of 3 for a whole year.  We will have to pay for an additional quarter, but the TIME will be 9 additional months.  I guess I am not being clear.

His plan was to do, after this school year:

Summer 2019

Fall 2019

Winter 2020

Spring 2020

Summer 2020 and DONE Aug. 2020

Instead, he will do 

2019-2020- all 3 quarters (NO summer)

2020-2021 all 3 quarters (NO summer()- DONE end of May, 2021

• Like 1

I talked to my son yesterday and he didn't seem phased.

Then I talked a bit more to DH last night and he said it probably isn't a bad thing.....it forces him to stay extra time, adding maturity, etc.....

So, I guess this was mostly about ME......hahahahaha.   I am going to have to just let it go and roll with it.  I will get there......maybe.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, DawnM said:

No, it is TWO summers, meaning 2 quarters.  Instead of 3 for a whole year.  We will have to pay for an additional quarter, but the TIME will be 9 additional months.  I guess I am not being clear.

His plan was to do, after this school year:

Summer 2019

Fall 2019

Winter 2020

Spring 2020

Summer 2020 and DONE Aug. 2020

Instead, he will do 

2019-2020- all 3 quarters (NO summer)

2020-2021 all 3 quarters (NO summer()- DONE end of May, 2021

Definitely a pain but the new schedule will allow him to do an internship each summer which could set him up well for finding a job after graduation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arch at Home said:

Definitely a pain but the new schedule will allow him to do an internship each summer which could set him up well for finding a job after graduation. 

if he can get them.  They aren't always easy to get.  He tried last summer and did not get one.