Menu

I want to make my mom's favorite cake for her birthday. She's 3 hours away..

lynn

Since it needs to chill for four hours I would make it the whole thing, chill it for an hour-ish and then probably put some ice packs (or one of those big gel ones) in a cooler, put a towel or two over the ice packs (so that the spring form wasn't sitting directly on the ice), put the cake in the cooler and then make the drive. Put it in the fridge when you get there and take the sides off when you're ready to eat.

But I am not an expert...that's just what I would do based on reading the recipe.

• Like 1

If I was visiting a relative three hours away, it would be an overnight (or longer) visit.  I would make the cake at her house.  

If that is not possible, my second choice would be to make the components at home but wait until I was at my parents' house to combine them.  As a third choice, I would do as Esme B suggests.  Regardless of the option selected, I would keep it in the pan until just before serving.

• Like 1

I would refrigerate it for an hour more than required, longer if it’s going to be a warm day during your 3hr drive. My refrigerator is set to the coldest setting though.  I have done that for the common blackforest cake with cherries on top and it has been fine as long as it’s not California summer temperatures.  I would leave it in the spring form.

• Like 1