Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
Æthelthryth the Texan

Veritas Press- Pages of History

@PeterPan¬†and other VP users! I need your input please. ūüôā

Thoughts on these books- the Veritas Press Pages of History Series? I'm linking to Christian Book because it's the only place I could actually see samples. (For some reason I cannot seem to navigate the VP website to save my life to pull up certain resources or samples.) I feel like a lot of the reviews I found were the "I received this sample free for an honest review" in which case it always seems like the reviews are a bit overly positive........I'd love to hear from people who used it because they wanted to. Not because they got it free for a review. 

Has anyone used these? I already own SOTW and CHOW, but neither has really resonated with the kids. But they're young. I am 95% sure we are going to buy VP Self Paced History New Test/Greeks- Romans the next time there is a sale. I know from my other thread I will need the history cards. Was wondering if these were worth buying or if they're too old for my kids, who are younger elementary aged. The samples read more upper elementary to me, but it's so hard to tell with such a short sample, I was hoping to get more input.   

I'm thinking of pairing all of this with MP's 3rd grade Read Aloud Picture book collection, and then I'll add in chapter book read alouds when we want. Since we've used a lot of SL and I'm a book fiend, we aren't lacking in available chapter books/read alouds. But I think the MP picture books are honestly stunning, so those are my definite for our next term, and they seem to coincidentally pair up well with the VP.

Right now we are using a mix of SL Core B read alouds with AO Year 1 for the other readers (more the histories and Aesop at the moment) to give you an idea of where they currently are. I definitely feel like we've been missing out on picture books this year. SL is Usborne heavy and neither the kids nor I are really fans of all of the Usborne books included. I miss gorgeous picture books like we used before, so that's a priority for this next term. We are currently using VP SP Bible which they love, and started the whole me looking at the SP History for them. They love the samples. (We're skipping the Egypt module, as we're all more than Egypt'd out.) 

So, buy or pass on the Pages of History for this age when using the VP Self Paced History? I'm not sure if a spine is even necessary at this age, but if it's super engaging, I'll add it to the shopping list.¬†ūüôā

I totally do not have this text and have no comment of what it is like. However, this is written by Bruce Etter. His wife, Julie Etter, uses both volumes 1 & 2 as the spine for the Fundamentals of Western Civilization class over at WHA. She said that this is a lead-in course for GC1 at WHA. On their suggested course sequence for students following a non GC sequence in 7 & 8, this is listed as the 7th grade history course followed by geography for students. So, assuming that she has 6th and 7th grade students in this class...

I just pulled out my NT/GR cards to check for you. CHOW is listed on there as one of the spines with page references. They list other ones like Usborne, Kingfisher, Streams of Civilization as well, but I don't see Pages of History listed on the cards I looked at. I did flip really quick to see if the two courses referenced anything else. I saw History of US readings in there.

FWIW, I skipped Egypt as well because of the same reason. Then my son asked to go back and do Egypt because he was so sad to come to the end of the series.

• Thanks 1

Can I be completly honest? I think it depends on how old your child is.  I got it for my 7 year old for vp self paced history, I did not feel he was ready for it. On the first page or 2 it tells of the time these kids live in that a "cleansing" happened and God was no longer mentioned in educational texts or historical documents or things like that.  I don't  know, I just felt a "cleansing" of any kind would be WAY too deep for a 7 year old, especially mine.  He ia super sensitive and loves God with all his heart and he knows some people do not love God and it makes him sad and he doesn't understand why.  So anyway...also read amazon reviews of some of the books  to accompany vp self paced history and they seemed a bit contoversial, so I skipped buying any of their books.  The curriculum does seem pretty good though. We have read a few library books  to supplement, but you wouldn't have too. Like I said, I guess it would be fine for an older kid, but soemtimes yoy just want your 7 year old to live in their happy little safe bubble and not worry about a "cleansing" of any kind. ?

Edited by Elizabeth86
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Can I be completly honest? I think it depends on how old your child is.  I got it for my 7 year old for vp self paced history, I did not feel he was ready for it. On the first page or 2 it tells of the time these kids live in that a "cleansing" happened and God was no longer mentioned in educational texts or historical documents or things like that.  I don't  know, I just felt a "cleansing" of any kind would be WAY too deep for a 7 year old, especially mine.  He ia super sensitive and loves God with all his heart and he knows some people do not love God and it makes him sad and he doesn't understand why.  So anyway...also read amazon reviews of some of the books  to accompany vp self paced history and they seemed a bit contoversial, so I skipped buying any of their books.  The curriculum does seem pretty good though. We have read a few library books  to supplement, but you wouldn't have too. Like I said, I guess it would be fine for an older kid, but soemtimes yoy just want your 7 year old to live in their happy little safe bubble and not worry about a "cleansing" of any kind. ?

Ok, thanks,  good to know. Ds7 would definitely have a slew of questions about that and tag along Dd6 would either not understand or get really upset. I think I’ll skip- at least for the first couple of programs. 

I am really impressed with Pages of History. I started adding it in on its own to read aloud before I started DS on the self-paced courses. I think it really does a great job explaining history with a Bible component. My only criticism is I wish it had a different background to the story as it can be confusing. The children are from an obviously fictional time where the Bible and religion are not allowed. They are traveling to different points in history which are supposed to explain real past events but it can get confusing when they discuss the time they’re from. Aside from that I really do like how they explain things and my son really enjoys it.