Menu

Travel to Switzerland

snickerplum

We were in a few places in Switzerland.   Make sure you go to Aldi for food.  If not the food is so expensive.  We paid almost $100 for Burger king and it was just one small hamburger per kid. 

We were going to go stay at this place, but then dh wanted to go to Italy so that is what we did instead.

https://wanderlustcrew.com/family-friendly-hotel-in-the-swiss-alps/

If you go to Basel you can easily go to France or Germany too. 

• Like 1

What time of year will you be there?  How far are you willing to travel?

The area around Lake Constance is nice.  You can visit Germany, Austria, and Switzerland.  If you are looking for a place to stay outside of Zurich, it will much cheaper to be in Germany or Austria (or across into France).  You could also visit Lichtenstein while you are in the area.  If you want to stay in Switzerland, Lucerne is beautiful to visit.  

• Like 1

We’re leaving next week, and I should have mentioned it is just dh and myself. (🎉)

There are so many things to choose from that it’s difficult. Lovely “problem” to have, I know. 

So many places center around skiing. It’s supposed to be in the 30s most of the time, so things that are outdoors are doable, but inside activities are good as well. 😊

Will you be renting a car or using public transportation?  

Food does tend to be expensive in Zurich.  There are a couple of department stores on Bahnofstrasse (Coop is one) that have a cafe in them; they are the most reasonably priced places to get a meal downtown that I have found.  You will want to pop into a Sprungli/Lindt store and get some chocolates!  The headquarters is in the village of Kilchberg; you cannot do tours of the facility but they do have Lindt options that are not available in the US.  

Some of the boats on the lake are included in some public transportation tickets.  They are used as public transportation by the locals, but you can take them and go to a village along the lake and explore. 

Compared to the places I have been in the US, many of the European ski resorts have a gondola that will take you up to a station with a restaurant and a view even if you are not skiing.  

The temperatures have not been too bad in the past couple of weeks, but as of two weeks ago, some of the areas had had the most snow they have had in 30 years and even had to close the ski resorts (that was the case in Voralberg in western Austria).  If you drive east to Austria, you can drive through the Inn Valley staying on the Autobahn, and have magnificent views.  There are many quaint villages to stop and explore.  Many of the towns have lovely indoor swimming complexes--glassed in where you can swim with a view of snow-capped Alps (I live in the south so this is a treat).   

• Like 1