Menu

Help! Where could a family of 8 stay in Boston? Need quick ideas!

Meadowlark

I could potentially book airfare for all 8 of us for under $1000, but probably need to move fast. I have no idea if a Boston vacation is in our budget but figure if I can get airfare and hotel taken care of, then I could consider it. But I will probably have to act fast because this fare won't last long.

I need to know where we should stay! What would be the ideal location? Could I expect to get around by city transportation? Do you know of any hotels that would sleep 7-8?

ETA: Totally open to renting a home/apartment too! I just have no idea where or what location to even start looking. Here's to hoping that someone reads this and sends the most perfect airbnb my way :-)

Edited by Meadowlark

4 minutes ago, Meadowlark said:

I could potentially book airfare for all 8 of us for under $1000, but probably need to move fast. I have no idea if a Boston vacation is in our budget but figure if I can get airfare and hotel taken care of, then I could consider it. But I will probably have to act fast because this fare won't last long.

I need to know where we should stay! What would be the ideal location? Could I expect to get around by city transportation? Do you know of any hotels that would sleep 7-8?

Homewood suites sometimes does

sometimes hyatt house

Sometimes wyndham properties

or airbnb

Here's a map of the subway system.  You can see it goes out to a few of the neighboring towns.  As far out as Braintree would be doable.

I don't know of any hotels sleeping that many, but there will probably be some along the metro routes or by the airport.

ETA: Boston is a small city.  Once you get inside, walking and taking the metro is easy-peasy.  The Freedom Trail is about 7 miles, I think we clocked, and most of the main tourist sights are along there. 

Edited by HomeAgain

I've always liked marriot residence inn - two bedroom suites.  though they might limit it at six.

I did stay at a motel six in Canada that had a family suite (with a kitchen).  two queen sleepers and a queen in a bedroom.  again - six.  I had to call them.

I like having a kitchen when it was all of us.

you may need to call hotels you're interested in, as they are rarely good about coming up on booking sites as having that many beds as an option.  another thing you might end up needing to do is get to adjoining rooms.

1 hour ago, HomeAgain said:

Here's a map of the subway system.  You can see it goes out to a few of the neighboring towns.  As far out as Braintree would be doable... Boston is a small city.  Once you get inside, walking and taking the metro is easy-peasy.  The Freedom Trail is about 7 miles, I think we clocked, and most of the main tourist sights are along there. 

Totally agree.

Also, a more expensive than the subway and a bit farther out (so more travel time), but you might also stay at one of the smaller towns farther out and take the commuter train in to Boston. About 10 years back when we did a big trip on the East Coast, we stayed in a B&B in Rockport and took the commuter train (about 45-60 min? one-way) to Boston, and then walked. There is no place to park cars in the city of Boston! (:0

Check out the public transit system to see what is affordable for your family size to get an idea of how far out of Boston you can extend your search for lodgings.

ETA:
Six Suitcase Travel is a website that lists lodgings for big families (5-8 people). Here's the list for Boston.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

We stayed in Boston last July and it was very easy to use public transportation to get everywhere.    We looked into Airbnb inside the city, but found that most did not have air conditioning, which was a no-go for us in July.  (We live in Florida, so we are used to hot summers, but didn't want to risk it.  Turns out they had a heat wave while we were there and temps were in the 90s.)  

1 minute ago, SebastianCat said:

We stayed in Boston last July and it was very easy to use public transportation to get everywhere.    We looked into Airbnb inside the city, but found that most did not have air conditioning, which was a no-go for us in July.  (We live in Florida, so we are used to hot summers, but didn't want to risk it.  Turns out they had a heat wave while we were there and temps were in the 90s.)  

We must have been in the city on the same day! 😄 I took my sister down the Freedom Trail when she came to town.  And I wore pants, because, um, I nearly always do (it really doesn't get hot much here).  It was the hottest day yet, and at least 15 degrees hotter from where we lived.  I was absolutely miserable toward the end.

We stayed in Hyatt Place-Medford last May

We had to get 2 rooms for our family of 7.  It had free parking and a short (10 min) drive to the train.  We went into the city 3 times.  It was fantastic. Tons to do in Boston.  We used the reciprocal membership from our local museums to get into the Children's Museum on a rainy day. The paid things can get expensive, but lots of free/cheap things to see and do.

We did look into an airbnb in the city, but parking there is SO expensive. Driving there is a nightmare also. If you are flying in, I am guessing parking/driving is not an issue.

Oh, one more thing about Boston - definitely bring some cash.  Some places, like the Paul Revere house, are cash only (I think it's $3-4 per adult) and there are other places like the churches that may suggest a donation.  For food - Santarpio's is a great hole in the wall pizza place but they don't take cards.  It's just helpful to keep a small amount on you as you go around the city.