Menu

History of Dance Elective? Long Shot...

History of Dance: An Interactive Arts Approach looks like a fantastic textbook to use as a spine for creating your own course. You could add in some of the specific "learning activities" included in the textbook, plus add in some of the following ideas, and make a 1-credit (year-long) course:

- watch some documentaries about different types of dance (and perhaps write a short informational paper about the content of each)
- do deeper research & write a longer paper on student's choice of a specific dance type or period of dance, or a key performer/choreographer
- create/present an informational slideshow to present to family/friends from time to time 
- live-perform several short dance segments, each in the style of one of the historical types of dance, for a visual comparison
- read a few biographies on key choreographers / performers of different dance types through history

To get a feel for types of resources and output for a Dance History course, check out these detailed syllabi:
- 1-semester Dance History course -- high school level (listed as "11th grade")
- 10-week arts-based high school level study of Dance History -- high school level
1-semester History & Appreciation of Dance -- Community College level course
1-semester History of Western Dance since 1450 -- upper division level university course

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 5
17 hours ago, Lori D. said:

History of Dance: An Interactive Arts Approach looks like a fantastic textbook to use as a spine for creating your own course. You could add in some of the specific "learning activities" included in the textbook, plus add in some of the following ideas, and make a 1-credit (year-long) course:

- watch some documentaries about different types of dance (and perhaps write a short informational paper about the content of each)
- do deeper research & write a longer paper on student's choice of a specific dance type or period of dance, or a key performer/choreographer
- create/present an informational slideshow to present to family/friends from time to time 
- live-perform several short dance segments, each in the style of one of the historical types of dance, for a visual comparison
- read a few biographies on key choreographers / performers of different dance types through history

To get a feel for types of resources and output for a Dance History course, check out these detailed syllabi:
- 1-semester Dance History course -- high school level (listed as "11th grade")
- 10-week arts-based high school level study of Dance History -- high school level
1-semester History & Appreciation of Dance -- Community College level course
1-semester History of Western Dance since 1450 -- upper division level university course

Wow! I saw the textbook but somehow missed that I could look inside. I'm so intimidated with trying to put something together about topics I know nothing about, but you make it sound doable. This is great info! Thank you so much.

3 hours ago, zarabellesmom said:

Wow! I saw the textbook but somehow missed that I could look inside. I'm so intimidated with trying to put something together about topics I know nothing about, but you make it sound doable. This is great info! Thank you so much.

Actually, it's a lot of fun creating your own course, and it really isn't too hard. Start with a "spine" resource (lecture series or textbook), and then add in some additional resources and a few learning activities, field trips, writing assignments, tests/quizzes, or other extensions to the "spine" to expand learning. Roughly schedule about 4-5 hours/week of time to spend on the subject, and you've just created a course! (:D

If that textbook I linked above looks like it's too confusing, perhaps consider the newer 2nd edition with a more streamlined format: History of Dance. The newer edition also gives you access to the web resources at Human Kinetics, which includes instructor resources for things like making quizzes/tests, ideas for research projects, and grading rubrics, as well as student access to power point visuals to go along with the textbook content.

Or, perhaps shift slightly more towards a Dance Appreciation course (rather than Dance History), and check out Appreciating Dance as the spine for a 1-semester course.

Enjoy putting together a Dance History course together with your DD! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2