Menu

Share your better eating books here!

Familia

Goodness!!  Finding books with practical, basic plans & recipes is hard.  I do not want to read about the science or theory behind different nutritional plans, just how to incorporate them into our cooking/eating.

Personally, my intention is to feed myself & my family more variety and less grains.  That could be in Adkins, Paleo, Keto, Whole Food 30, etc, etc, etc.  Although, I am not anti-grain, anti-fat, anti-gluten or anti-Dorito, I think there is so much to glean from many of those dietary regimes. So, I could benefit, and so could others, from your nutritional finds.

Share your favorite books, either cookbooks or dietary plan books that helped you feed your family better ... whatever 'better' means to you.  

9 hours ago, Familia said:

Goodness!!  Finding books with practical, basic plans & recipes is hard.  I do not want to read about the science or theory behind different nutritional plans, just how to incorporate them into our cooking/eating.

Personally, my intention is to feed myself & my family more variety and less grains.  That could be in Adkins, Paleo, Keto, Whole Food 30, etc, etc, etc.  Although, I am not anti-grain, anti-fat, anti-gluten or anti-Dorito, I think there is so much to glean from many of those dietary regimes. So, I could benefit, and so could others, from your nutritional finds.

Share your favorite books, either cookbooks or dietary plan books that helped you feed your family better ... whatever 'better' means to you.  

Have you read “Eat Food. Not Too Much. Mostly Plants?” You could read it, but the title is the short version. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Given what you are looking for, I'd aim at spin-off cookbooks, for example:

Whole 30 Cookbook

Whole 30 Fast and Easy

Whole 30 Slow Cooker

NomNom Paleo (there are several, all of great recipes, as does her blog)

Primal Blueprint (lots of cookbook spin-offs, "primal" includes dairy, which I like)

I also think it's good to round out with a few good vegetarian cookbooks, but unfortunately, don't have any great recommendations.  I tend to find that one single veg recipe per cookbook that everyone likes, then give away the cookbook.  I haven't yet found a vegetarian cookbook where we like more than 1-2 recipes.  lol

And then just use the Whole30 Meal Template to design your meals.  This is probably the single best resource you can magnet onto the fridge and work from.  Other good ones include the Perfect Health Diet infographic, and the carb curve in this post is also a nice visual.  All the science blahblah is reduced into a few simple reminders with these three graphics.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

Given what you are looking for, I'd aim at spin-off cookbooks,,,

And then just use the Whole30 Meal Template to design your meals.  This is probably the single best resource you can magnet onto the fridge and work from.  Other good ones include the Perfect Health Diet infographic, and the carb curve in this post is also a nice visual.  All the science blahblah is reduced into a few simple reminders with these three graphics.  

Yes, when I explored Amazon (and was overwhelmed) the spin-offs did seem the best for avoiding the why/why/why’s.

And, these templates are excellent - thank you!  

My favorite is Trim Healthy Table. The first three chapters explain the Trim Healthy Mama Plan, while the rest of the book includes recipes. FYI...THM uses both low-carb and low fat (with a limited amount of healthy carb) recipes. I enjoy eating low-carb, but it’s like my body needs some carbs (brown rice, fruit, sweet potato, and sprouted grains), so THM works well for me. 

• Like 1